DMP 3.09 firmware released

This has probably been reported already, but just in case,

1/ several times in the last few days, after inserting a cd, my dmp screen shows it playing, although I do not press play. No sound comes out and the timing bar shows 0. I try pressing stop, and the screen responds correctly. Then I press play but nothing happens. Ejecting the cd and inserting again usually works.

2/ very often, the dmp downloads the track list but not the cover art. When that happens, the track numbers are tiny during play, unreadable from the listening position.

Philippe

1 Like

I suffer the “very same issues” as you with 3.09 … And, my DMP at times doesn’t respond to any command, the only way I can stop the music is to power off then reboot ! Very frustrating !

1 Like

For me, I’ll wait until the final upgrade of the series (December? January?) is out and all DMP users have loaded it and given their final ‘verdict’. Sorry but for that kind of money I would not want a piece of equipment which works 100% as it should, in which case I’ll go for a more affordable alternative for my SACD/Blu Spec/DVD-A etc needs.

Having said that, can’t wait for the Octave server (!!!) and fingers crossed it’s not going to be as problematic as the DMP -albeit sensational sounding- can get.

2 Likes

A wise decision… But. Octave operating system will be way more involved !!!

2 Likes

I feel really stupid for not doing this sooner. I got my DMP when they first came out in December 2016. I have not done a single firmware upgrade until just now. My firmware was 1.84 or 1.94 or something like that. All I can say after doing the upgrade to 3.09 is “Holy Shit”. The snap, the pace, the dynamics, the punch it’s like I have a whole new player. I played and SACD and a USB drive and both worked just fine. Hats off to Barry! :+1:

1 Like

I know how you feel. With the last few updates I waited at first because I do not deal with technical frustrations well. Eventually the posts stating the sound quality improvements won over and I installed the updates. You are right, it is like having a new player. Even though I wait, I’ve never really had any issues with the DMP. The worst problem I’ve had was pressing play too soon several versions ago.

what i do not understand is how it is that some people have so many problems,some have a few and some seem happy with the same upgrade on the same product…?

The explanation has been randomness of timing inside the player is different between different players, and that gives rise to the differences in end-user experiences. My DMP is about 95% to my liking…further fine tuning of some minor functional things required.

Last night I had the silence bug, all indicators were normal except there was no sound. I also had a “no connection” warning but there was traffic (blinking LED) on the network port. Rebooting solved both problems.

That is/was a regular occurrence for me ! Too many disconnections and freezing up that I become so fed up rebooting that I reinstalled 3.07…although it has its own set of quirks, it is much more forgiving than 3.09 in my DMP !!

I know many are chewing at the bit waiting on the new Directstream O/S - and that’s great, but I just wish I could get my DMP firing on all cylinders so that I can enjoy Snowmass………!

3 Likes

A whacky thing I noticed when this happened is my Esoteric DAC (which is connected to the DMP via AES/EBU) flagged a clock error which continued until the DMP rebooted. Once the reboot happened everything went back to normal. The DMP does sound OK, not-withstanding these occasional buggy gremlins. I’ve ordered a new Shunyata Sigma AES/EBU cable which I’ll get later this week, so I’m anticipating further sonic improvement. My new Magico M3 speakers are also on the horizon heading this way.

1 Like

I’d just very much like not to have to reinstall the f/w every time I want to play one of my SACD’s to get the DMP to send a DSD signal to the DS instead of a PCM signal.

I also regularly get the disc advancing but no sound thing too but that’s corrected by merely stopping and restarting play again.

1 Like

Stopping and starting play on DMP did not restore the sound for me, I had to reboot it. I haven’t had an issue with SACD doing the handshake thing with DSJ, not yet anyway.

Cables have never been my thing - but if there is a special cable that’s expensive that can be used on DMP transports - that magically improves on not just the sound but all the inconsistences of functionality I would gladly buy one…

I do love the sound of the DMP but hate with a vengeance the rest of it !

1 Like

Cables are important, but not as important as the thing working as it’s supposed to in the first place. I think with the next update they should be getting close, as long as they don’t put any new bugs into it.

1 Like

We can but dream!

2 Likes

anyone else having alot of cracks and pops when playing SACDs?
also my unit keeps reinstalling firmware every time i poiwer back on

Is the SD card still in your DMP? If you have the force load version of 3.09 still in your unit, I believe it will continue to reinstall every time you power up

My DMP screen has become unresponsive to touch or remote commands several times, including 5 minutes ago; all times while playing a cd and sounding normal. The corrective action was to cycle the power switch. Hopefully this problem is understood and will be resolved with the next version.

Cracks and pops: turn down the level on the DSD to around 92. This is a known issue and should be addressed in a future release.
Reinstalling: Turn off the DMP, remove the SD card, remove the firmware update from the card, reinsert into DMP.

Good luck!