DMP 3.14 released

I used the “enquiry” box at the bottom of the product page. About once a week for two or three weeks.

After years of relative neglect, I’m trying to improve my system one last time (I’m almost 78). My wife says I can keep my Thiel speakers, but if I replace them she wants to get really small speakers. We don’t have a listening room, just a living room. The Thiels dominate it, but I have always loved the way they sounded with the music I play so I’m alright with keeping them. Paul McGrath (now with Wilson Audio) recommended them to me when he was in the retail audio business in the mid-1980’s. I’ll probably also keep my Linn Sondek LP12 turntable. All of the other equipment I bought back in the 1980’s is cheap stuff and has either died and been replaced with other cheap stuff, or is in need of replacement. For example, my pre-amp was designed for moving magnet cartridges only. I needed both a phono stage and a real pre-amp. I took care of the phono stage by buying a dealer demo NuWave Phono Converter. I got it yesterday. I’ll use it for the time being with my Peachtree Audio Nova integrated amp and DAC. I plan on getting a real amp and preamp and a better DAC as well as a CD tramsport and probably eventually a power regenerator. Right now I’m leaning toward PS Audio for all of this, but I’ll explore a local dealer (If Parkland ,Florida can be considered local for a Palmetto Bay, Florida address. Otherwise, I guess I’ll have to learn about this equipment by myself. For a guy who hasn’t paid much attention to equipment for almost 30 years, that’s a daunting task. A lot of ground to make up.

Thanks for reaching out.

1 Like

Thank you very much for posting this (and the linked thread as well)!

Welcome to the forums Norris! Here’s a new DMP in black listed on Audiogon if interested. I’m sure he will negotiate on price if you ask…

1 Like

After reading above posts on SQ improvement, I updated from 3.10 to 3.14 last night. Went without a hitch.

My SQ improvement is stunning! As much as any DSD firmware upgrade. I’ll forego all the audiophile adjectives, but all around amazing improvement. Most notable for me sound stage expansion and decay.

I was looking to upgrade my speakers, now I’m not so sure. Thanks Paul and crew!

2 Likes

@Paul Is the album art fix intended to make existing album art show up more consistently or give access to album art for more albums. I’ve had what I would call two classes of album art problems. One where album art has shown up before but for some reason doesn’t at other times. Or oddly, shows up on some later track but not when the disk is first played. The second class of problem is that many albums that are not new or obscure never display album art at all.

Are these the issues you have worked to address?

Thanks for your continued efforts to refresh and improve your products. I’ve never owned a serious piece of hifi gear that didn’t have some issue or quirk. But I’ve also never owned one that the company who created it has put as much time and effort into supporting and improving. Owning the DSD and DMP have made me a lifetime PS Audio customer and enthusiast.

Thanks,
Guy

New software update is great!!! 3:14, the best so far… my ears like it. Thanks Barry and colleagues. Much appreciated.

Ronald

3 Likes

Good thing it could not load the wrong firmware. If this had been a force load it would have hosed up your PWT thouroughly!

2 Likes

If you come across a disk that does not display cover art and text you can go on Your play list at PS Audio and add the cover art and track list. I have done so for many disks and have thousands that I have made sure are present on the servers!

2 Likes

The replacement product will be Redbook CD not SACD compatible.

2 Likes

@sixpack1 - thanks for the follow up. It did not find my EJ - Good Bye Yellow Brick Road… never did that before, great idea!

1 Like

It is always best to reboot the DMP a second time after a firmware update. When I shut it down for that i insert the Memory card that has all my CD’s and SACD’s info stored on it than power it up.

3 Likes

OK, no issue, sounds like a plan. I have never had an issue with any firmware update and I have a few PSA products. However, I don’t see that step as a major inconvenience…

Update new DMP firmware process

1. Delete all file on a PSA SD card
  2. Download the firmware update onto clean PSA SD card
  3. Remove PSA SD card containing just the CD & SACD info
  4. Turn off the DMP
  5. Load the firmware update PSA SD card
  6. Turn on the DMP and allow the new firmware to load and initialization to happen.
  7. Verify new firmware is loaded by making sure display has correct firmware version
  8. Turn off DMP
  9. Remove the new firmware PSA SD card
  10. Reinstall your old PSA SD card w/ CD & SACD info
  11. Turn on the DMP and verify the new firmware has been loaded…

Please review and approve…

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. Still curious if this is what the album art fixes were targeted at or was it something different.

Paul
In our ongoing efforts to improve the performance of our DirectStream Memory Player (DMP) we have released new firmware for download.

Timing fixes for communicating with the Oppo during initial disk insertion that prevented album art from properly showing.

Fixed Issues
•• Timing fixes to address issues where album art doesn’t show.
•• Fix issues where some CD’s don’t come up properly.

The update is available on our downloads page 23 on the website. Instructions for installation are just below the group of folders on that page.

As Montel Williams says ‘This is how we do it!’

Sixpack - I have added cover art and track list to my playlist when I first got my DMP, but it has been a while. I just went to my playlist and don’t see how to be able to do it now… Have you done so recently?

Eaglesman, Yes I have. Insure your internet connection is up on the DMP. Insert a disk in need of track list/cover art. On your computer go to your Playlist on the PSA site. The unknown disk at the top of the list is the one that you are going to work on. Click on the disk title to open it up. First try to search with the UPC if that does not work that title and artist. If either is found select it and it will apply the picture and the cover art. If not you can manually fill the Artist and Title and than add and type text for track titles. Than open another window and go to Amazon. Look up the disk. Right click on the picture and save picture as .jpg. Note where it is saved (usually Downloads). Go back to the page with the disk you are working on. Click on the image and find the one you down loaded select it than click the upload button. If you have the physical disk and a scanner you can also scan the disk cover and upload that. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

@sixpack1 I believe you meant Montell Jordan!

I’m excited to hear the new update when I return from my work trip. Has anyone tried it out with the different versions of Snowmass? I’m currently happy with V1, but I’m curious if the new DMP firmware might change people’s opinions of V2.

@sixpack1 - So I tried your suggestion and the process works, just have to be a little patient. :slight_smile:

Did this (3) times with the CD loaded and playing in the DMP. I will try it after the CD selection has ended and post the results…

OK, so then I left the playlist to post above, went back and there it was

Then I went back to my music room to see if the cover art was there and the same thing.
I then ejected the CD and reloaded and the same thing.
I then went back into the playlist and the artwork was there.

OK, then I went back to the music room, ejected the CD, reloaded it and BOOM, there it is…
So, the process works, just may take a bit for the DMP to load the art.

Thanks for your input, hope this helps others… me, I never have the display ON so I never pay attention to artwork and tracks… however, it was a fun exercise… the first time I played with my playlist and editing anything about the CDs I listen to… good to know capability, never know when you might need it…

As Montel Williams says ‘This is how we do it!’

2 Likes

@Schroedster - I had a question regarding the evolution of the DMP SW/LW builds with regards to the new CD player PSA will offer in 6-12 months. I assume the only difference will be two things:

1. No SACD play capability
  2. New CD drive

Is this correct?
Will the new CD player be offered with any new features…?

If that is the case, will there be DMP build updates in the future based on the new CD player SW/LW updates. I assume the new CD player will have the same SW/LW builds as a baseline gotten from the DMP, just coding stripped for the SACD functionality and drive interface. If that is the case; and, if the new CD’s artwork display goes in a better direction, or the SW is much more efficient, or a remote feature is added, will the DMP be updated or is the SW/LW builds frozen for the DMP with the new 3.14 build? I assume this new build will have corrected all the issues that have been attributed to this component?