DMP Firmware upgrade 3.06 released

No, I didn’t have any issue. Why not try going back to 2.08 then reload 3.06 then switch off the rear switch then reboot . I had to do that when I loaded up 2.08 initially on its release - as I have had to do similarly when installing new O/S to the DS DAC. Worth a try !

I tried going back to 2.08, then reinstalled 3.06, and it still will not play the dsd file. Also, it will not play anything on a usb stick. Very strange that some units have no problem at all, and others run into issues. I’m assuming that all these players are constructed the same.

I just tried my usb loaded w/ music (.wav). It would not play either and no structure shown. A few months ago it would play. However, did not go back to 2.08 to verify it worked.

My point is “bitch” to PS Audio via email or phone call. Nobody here wants to hear it as it doesn’t add value and just wastes our time.

Paul and crew are already well aware people are frustrated.

yes. start with a clean sd card

Paul, I only I have one word: wow!
A big thank you to PSA from Belgium for this wonderful upgrade in SQ.

2 Likes

I agree. IMHO there is a huge improvement in SQ. The Soundstage is larger, clarity is improved and bass is more defined with greater punch and force. I am still listening, but check out Diana Krall stepping out. Her voice is amazingly clear. Foundations and dynamics are wonderful.

As far as functionality- a step backwards. The DMP screen is no longer indicating names of tracks.

For me SQ is the most important thing. I can wait for resolution of the other issues.

Thanks Paul

Guys, please. Let’s take a deep breath and please be kind to each other. This is a very tough situation filled with frustration and it is we that are at fault. You guys have been above and beyond anything we could have hoped for in terms of patience and understanding and I am personally thankful beyond words.

We’re getting there. To ihmeyers I spoke with Barry who told me his next task is the subfolders and getting data discs working properly and smoothly. That’ll be good news for you and others and again, thank you for your patience and please accept my apology for the frustration.

Expect another release, probably 3.07, which fixes the subfolder and data disc issue the first week of September. Plus, Barry’s got a few feature upgrades up his sleeve too.

Thank you all again for being so patient and supportive.

5 Likes

The improvement to the sound is really wonderful. If the updates make the processors function better then there should be even more musicality to come as the DMP O/S continues to improve……….

1 Like

So it’s interesting to me that people report an improvement in SQ when the update was meant to improve functionality. I think that for me I wasn’t using the DMP before the update so now I am listening again and am impressed with how good the DMP is. I think that this makes me think that there were SQ improvements when maybe there wasn’t? Maybe it’s just me.

1 Like

Paul, greetings from Poland. I have been a happy owner of DMP, DS DAC and P5 for several months.
Since then, I have purchased a lot of SACDs and several Pure Audio Blu-ray discs with very good music and I would be very happy if I could also play these discs.

There were similar reports of unexpected sound quality improvement when a whole lot of code - not thought to affect sound quality - was cut out of the Directstream DAC software.

Given that the previous code was a mess, I am comfortable believing the sound improved once the programming bits were tidied up.

okay, i just installed the 3.06 and it went perfectly. i have found that to be safe it is best to completely delete all files that are on the SD card and start over. there were four files on the new download and it went great.

1. hard to believe but it sounds better
  2. quicker loading time
  3. I tested regular cds, SACD hybrids, and pure SACD. all played fine.
  4. my biggest gripe with the DMP had been that you had to unload and reload the disc to play it again. not anymore.

so a nice improvement and the fact that it sounds better is a real plus.
PS rocks.

1 Like

Hi Paul & Co.
Good to hear 3.06 is generally being seen as a positive step forward. For me I generally don’t have an issue with 2.08 as I mostly listen to a disk from 1st to last track how long before 3.07 is released ? Is each release self contained , i.e we don’t need to go through the sequence of upgrades, just jump from whatever is in place to the latest release?

I just had an interesting experience. It’s all sorted but nevertheless an interesting experience to share. The 3.06 upgrade is as Paul promised in my final experience.

I had the 2.06 on the PMP and did not upgrade the firmware until this 3.06. I learned to wait for stable firmware because I am a bit OCD and will spend time fixing things that need fixing. At the time of doing this firmware update I also upgraded my Bridge. I have been using the USB connection with the DS DAC (upgraded version) and not much of Bridge I. The PMP was connected to the DS DAC I2S input 2 since new so when I reconnected it I rejigged it back to I2S input 1 …my OCD and this was where it was interesting. The 3.06 upgrade went smoothly.

First up I played the CD that was in the memmory player …hmm something is not right. Next up Celine Dion SACD and found that the music was not as musical and not as open with possibly some light clipping. I thought I was imagining it or I may have slight cold. A bit of disappointment and regret thoughts wen in my head. A bit more careful inspection: the DMP says DSD on its screen and the DAC displayed PCM 88.2K 24 bits …which used to be DSD64 from memory.

I was a bit puzzled and thought may be I2S input 1 needs some run in time …let it played for a bit but eventually switched back to I2S input 2 like the way it was … the sq returned and the DAC displayed DSD64 1 bit. What an interesting experience … is there some known I2S input issue?

Tried a few other things and the 3.06 performed as Paul promised. I’ve yet to try the USB input but would love to be able to hook the PC USB output through this DMP and let it upscales and enhances the digital signal hint hint Paul

DMP

DSD I2S input 1

DSD I2S input 2

I spent some quality time with SACDs and CDs I’m very familiar with, and the sound quality this new release offers is significantly improved!

I’ve only encountered these issues when playing SACDs and CDs (don’t play disks I’ve burned, or play from a USB memory stick):

1. Very intermittent “blip”, where the sound goes quiet for a split second, only when playing SACDs.
  2. No track titles displayed, with both SACDs and CDs.
  3. No album art displayed, with both SACDs and CDs.

I did find the pause button did work for me.

I very much appreciate the improved sound quality. With these disks, I heard sounds I never experienced before, and these were tracks I am very familiar with!

Paul and company, thank you for this!

2 Likes

In the DS the two I2S inputs are electrically identical and share the same software. But one or two DSs have had one broken I2S input. If you have some other I2S source it might be worth checking if it sees the same failure. Contact PS Audio support.