DMP Update Code - Post your impressions here

Both my DVD data discs and the same WAV file on USB have problems playing.
If there are individual files it may work but if they are in folders, they do not.

The touch screen is still too bright compared to the DSD dac.
This is with both on the low brightness setting.

It is important to you that the brightness level of the DMP display and DSD display match?

It is sensible they should matchā€¦nobody would complain if they match, some/many are likely to complain if they donā€™t.

2 Likes

I run the Direcstream on medium and the DMP on low and than they look about the same. 2.06 both looked the same on medium with 2.08 and now 3.04 I see the brightness difference.

I ran into a quirk when trying to play the Beach Boys Sunflower SACD it would only play in PCM. I than loaded the Telarc Symphony Fantastic SACD and the DMP played a little bit of the first track audibly before waiting for me to hit the play. After that I played the Beach Boys again and than it played the DSD layer as DSD.

The Pre-emphasis flags are not something we have access to from the disc playing engine. Iā€™ve done some testing and the DMP does handle pre-emphasis CDs correctly, but the de-emphasis happens internally before we have access to the digital stream unfortunately. I do wish we could at least detect this happening, or change the behavior of the engine, but we have asked the vendor and cannot get any new changes that would allow this.

The good news is the DMP does apply de-emphasis on emphasised CDs even if the metadata isnā€™t 100% correct. Pre-emphasis can be set in the TOC and in subtracks and it appears to detect both correctly.

I do apologize we cannot get this function to you with our current transport, but we will ensure our next transport is capable of this.

Matt

2 Likes

Thank you for the explanation, Matt. Interesting.

I agree. This isnā€™t a part of the code Barry was working on, but changed timings in HW clocks probably are the cause. This is easily remedied and I will add it to our list of bugs.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt,
If the bitstream that is forwarded to the DAC already has been corrected than there is no issue I will have to listen to the discs with that and see how they sound as long as they are not hot than seeing the indicator on the Direcstream DAC Display is irrelevant. As far as you next offering detecting and passing the flag to the DAC that is also irrelevant to me as I would not be in the market to replace the DMP anyway. Thanks.

Thanks Paul. That wasnā€™t a complaint. merely an observation. Iā€™ve managed software driven companies before (on-line wagering) so I know there are ALWAYS going to be issues with new releases of code.

One of the things I loved most about the PWT (and a reason I stayed in the family for an upgrade to the DMP) is that I could download hi-rez FLACs, burn them to a DVD an enjoy them in my system. Iā€™m sure it would easier with a media server but I am kind of old school and preferred burning them. Those discs always played without issue. Well, almost always. DSF and DFF files didnā€™t always play correctly which meant I blew a lot of $$ buying files from Acoustic Sounds, but cā€™est la vie.

Iā€™m pretty sure I even asked you early on whether the DMP would handle FLACs before I traded up. I guess most people donā€™t use it that way but the flexibility of the DMP to play almost anything was always important to me. :grinning:

Maybe PS Audio clarification of the aiming point at what ultimately will play, and what wonā€™t, is due.

@ihmeyers Do you have subfolders on your data disc? Try a data disc with no sub-folders and all the music on the root of the CD/DVD. File formats are handled by the engine internally and our code has no control of that so if a file format worked before it should work now too. If a file format didnā€™t work before it most likely still wonā€™t work. One issue we have been having that the commands we have for data disc navigation to the engine are not ā€˜completeā€™. We can tell the engine to go do something, but if it doesnā€™t do it, or an error occurs, it doesnā€™t tell us. Iā€™m not sure if sub-folders were supported again yet in version.

Where can we download the beta? I didnā€™t see it in the downloads section.

See DMP Interim update code

Matt, no subfolders at all. I create a disk by dragging/dropping FLAC files Iā€™ve downloaded to the blank disk and choose burn. None of the FLACs I created work. They all load fine, but when you press play nothing happens.

Absolutely!

That happened to me once with the former firmware. I have no idea why. I have had good luck converting the files to WAV and loading them one by one into AShampoo and burning them. They sound good.

My .wav burned DVD files donā€™t work either. Using the beta code, the DMP appears unable to decipher any of the data on the disk. FLAC, WAV, DFF, all the same. They played fine in 2.08, notwithstanding all of the wonkiness issues with the old code.

I played one earlier today and it played ok.