DMP Update Code - Post your impressions here

Strange. I know people have had issues with installing new code before. I never have and I don’t think there were any issues with this one other than the blue light flashed for longer than I’m used to before the INITIALIZING screen came up. Then again, the initializing screen was up for just a split second before the DMP was ready.

I can try installing it again but there is no indication it didn’t load correctly. Redbook CD’s play fine.

I just had a CD play a splash of the first track upon loading just as the SACD’s do. I did notice that pause is now functioning the way it should. When you press pause play stops, press again and play starts from the point that you paused. It used to restart at the begining of the track with the previous loads.

@ihmeyers

It sounds like it loaded correctly. We have data DVDs and CDs working here on that code. Can you give us a little more information to try and replicate the issue here? Such as number of tracks, filetype, sample rate, bit depth, What program was used to burn the disc? Did you burn the disc as ‘disc at once’?

Have you used the exact same disc with 2.xx FW and it worked, and now with 3.04 it doesn’t?

Thanks,
Matt

Load of new firmware went without issues for me. I have played multiple SACDs, CDs, and Bluray HF Pure Audio discs. I did notice on one of the Bluerays that while it was doing the artwork download check that PLAY came on for a split second and I heard a quick burst of music. When I hit Play, the track did not start at the absolute beginning. All the Blurays play at PCM 24/96 and I don’t see any way to change to DTS or Dolby, maybe not possible. I don’t play them a lot but I think that’s an option on my Oppo 105. Also, no artwork for the Blurays and they don’t show up in my Playlist, so I can’t add them manually.

Also, am able to play DVD-R without issue. These are from Reference Recordings, what they called HRx. They play 24/176 without issue. Like the Blurays there is no artwork and they don’t show up in My Playlist for manual edit.

Track #s range from 8 or 9 to as many as 20. I burned the disks either directly in windows or using windows media player. Most were burned at the slowest speed I could use for that media, generally 4x but some as low as 2X. I found a couple that would play after trying more than 20 disks. Here’s what I could find:

A) SOME DVD+R disks would play. Verbatim disks worked better than the Memorex disks, though a few Memorex DVD+R would play.

B) The few DVD+RW disks I had would NOT play.

C) NONE of the DVD-R disks would play.

D) If I tried a DVD+RW disk or a DVD-R disk then tried a disk that HAD played such as a Verbatim DVD+R the Verbatim would no longer play until I rebooted the DMP.

All of these disks played fine previously, as recently as last night. I’m sure when I go back to 2.08 they will play correctly again. I don’t know what all this means but I hope it helps.

I played a CD this morning and cover art was displayed on the DMP. I have played 4 CDs since and no cover art was displayed but all was normal on the website playlist. All of them showed on the DMP yesterday.

I think the worst thing that PSA did was to put an LCD screen on the DMP for cover art. I bet that more than half the complaints they get are for missing cover art. I almost never see any cover art and am usually surprised when it does appear. Since I can’t listen to cover art I usually just ignore it.

4 Likes

I never cared about that either. My DMP isn’t hooked to my wi-fi. Never has been.

All I care about is the functionality and the sound quality and there has never been an issue with the DMP’s sound quality.

Pure Audio:
That’s what can be seen in the screen.
I think it means it’s Pure Audio with no enable / disable possibily
Because Enable is the best option and there is no need to switch.
Not all the redbook pcm cd’s behave to same, most start automatic after some time with track one and when I skip to track 5 some play and some do nothing. But when I reject the cd and start again it works fine, starts automatic with track 1 and when I skip to track 5 it waits say 3 seconds and start playing track 5. Had this with Nick Cave - The boatsman’s call, Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus and SACD with Stevie Ray Vaughn - In Step, first time played track 1 skipped to number 10 Riviera Paradise Track 1 starts playing again. After ejecting and start it went well. Will try more and more cd’s coming days. First thing is to get familiar with the new software. Sounds good and TOC very fast that’s a big plus. The rest of the sofware will come in time step by step.

Ronald

Before I download the Beta version, has anyone heard an improvement in sound quality with 3.4 version?

It sounds very very good, but best is to try it for yourself. It’s very easy to judge the software soundwise. Easy to switch.

More info:

a) A Billy Joel/Elton John Live album I burned wouldn’t play even though it was a DVD+R disk. The media was SONY.

b) Same files transferred from the hard drive to a USB wouln’t play either. The DMP recognized the USB drive but could only display “USB Data” not any of the song titles and wouldn’t play at all.

Bottom line for me, some of my burned DVDs (FLAC or WAV) will play. Those seem to be limited to DVD+R and particularly Verbatim media. No DVD-R or DVD+RW will play. They all play fine in 2.08.

I can’t find a pattern, maybe Matt can. To me there is no rhyme or reason why some DVD+Rs will play but others won’t. And there is definitely an issue with anything that was burned to a DVD-R or a DVD+RW. All we know for sure is it’s software and not hardware since every disk I’ve ever burned played fine until using 3.04.

I was spoiled by my PWT. I took the time to get all of my CD’s on the playlist with cover art. Even the discs I created using the NPC of my records. I hope to see the same reliability with the DMP. I do appreciate the sound quality improvement over the PWT. I am not willing to give up the nice extras I enjoyed though.

I never had much trouble with my DMP. But if I understand it the remote for individual song selection does not work with the Beta version. So how do you access the individual tracks?

Also, with this version does it also improve sound quality over the previous version which is very good?

I ask these questions because I have been recopying my SACD’s, CD’s etc using the PS combo Dac and Player to a SD card in my Tascam 3000 at a HR setting. Then those recordings are added to my external hardrive. The quality of those recordings believe it or not are far superior then the original ones. So, access to individual tracks on the DMP are important and if the sound quality isn’t better than I think I’ll stay with the 2.08 version.

First, I appreciate the chance to take this code for a ride.
Sound quality is great, as I’ve come to expect with the DMP. Not sure yet I notice significant change, as I’ve been testing this for the mechanical functions.

1. USB sticks with hi res and DSD data that worked fine witn 2.08 do NOT work with 3.04. The display will not show the USB contents.

2. The fast-forward function doesn’t work. Yes, it will mute the sound and go forward, but when I hit the play button, I am returned to the start of the disc, both on red book and SACDs.

3. SACD reads are not consistent. Right after booting up, it reads the DSD layer fine. By the 3rd SACD v3.04 only gives a PCM read. If I reboot the DMP, I get the DSD layer again.

4. Playback of SACD after disc insertion: at first, upon pressing the play button, I get 1 second of sound, then it stops and the display tells me I’m 2 seconds into the first cut. I press play again and it resumes at the 2 second mark.

I have experienced the “known” issues listed by Paul’s release notes, as well.

That’s it for now.
Michael

Same issue for me as I posted above. I am going to re-install 2.08 now since there doesn’t seem to be a work-around on discs that played previously that won’t play now. Hopefully these issues can be resolved quickly. I’m sure it’s me and I expected too much, but I honestly didn’t anticipate having issues with discs that played fine with every other software release.

1 Like

Not the worst thing. But yeah, it’s up there. Anyway, they can’t undo what’s been done.

DTS and DD decoding to PCM in DMP was never promised. Knock me over with a feather if they ever support it in any player or DAC.

Played The Beatles, album rubbersoul. track 1 to 14. when 14 was played I did a replay. Track 1 is played, display showed still number 14. Track 2 is played, number 2 is shown. I only play CD /SACD.

Ronald

I tried to play some DSD files from the USB port. The files were not visible on the DMP display so I was unable to play them. This worked in 2.08.

1 Like