DMP Update Code - Post your impressions here

I use the skip buttons on the remote to select tracks. This works for now.

I can confirm that I also have issues #2, 3, & 4 that Michael (mggm56) reported. In my case, I played a couple of SACDs without issue then switched to other PCM formats without issue. I then switched to the Bridge and played a PCM file. I then switched back to the i2S input and inserted an SACD and it played 24/88.2 PCM. I tried another SACD and it did the same thing. I rebooted the DMP and it played both SACDs as DSD.

Also after inserting a new disc I randomly get 1-2 seconds of playback while it is reading the disc and checking for artwork. It then stops and when I hit play, it resumes partway into the track. It doesn’t happen every time but probably 30% of the time.

Try checking the Setup setting for SACD Mode. Press the three dots at the upper right, then the right arrow in the upper right. Pressing the circle arrow icon will rotate between Stereo SACD, Redbook CD and Multi SACD. This indicates the default layer that should be read when a SACD is loaded.

Here is a screen shot.

Amen, brother!

That’s how my settings are configured and I still got the issue with SACD only playing as PCM after switching back from playing PCM. I’ll try some more combinations to see if I can pin down a cause.

Thanks, bstanwick–I thought to check the SACD settings on the DMP when things got wonky the first time. Alas, they were set properly, as before, to play the stereo DSD layer on SACDs.

Having gone through the original beta testing for the DMP, thinking about my experience with the player these many months, I have to admit I remain 80% satisfied. I have a huge CD library, I mostly just put a disc in and play it all the way through, not unlike the way I listen to vinyl. The DMP always sounds great, and now with 3.04 perhaps a bit more so. My frustrations with it, all things considered, remain minor, and only seem significant in light of the usual CD player functions I’ve adapted to since the 80’s plus the initial hope that the DMP would play every type of silver disc. BluRay makes up less than 0.1% of my library, and I never invested in DVD for music.

It still sounds so good to me that I’ve virtually quit buying hi-res files when I can get a disc, whether Red Book or SACD, instead.

Michael

Then perhaps you are due a 20% refund on the purchase price!

1 Like

Well, I must say that, over the years, I’ve occasionally gotten much less than 80% satisfaction from playing the high end game. Given the degree to which my expectations have been surpassed by PS Audio on many occasions, I’m left to think that Paul and team are learning new things from how the DMP project has gone. IMO, if it’s a mixed bag, the DMP still delivers a listening experience that is otherwise difficult to come by. Listening to a recent Peter Erskine disc that is not available as hi res or vinyl, it is absolutely engaging at 16/44.1 on the DMP/DSD combo. Somebody should be drinking to this! (Hmm, good idea, that!)

OK, enough outta me.

Speaking strictly for me,

I purchased the DMP for the same reason I bought the PWT; I wanted a device that could play music I downloaded from the internet. I’d say 50% or more of what I listen to are burned FLAC or WAV files on a DVD media. The DMP is a significant upgrade to the PWT in terms of sound. In terms of ease of use, it falls short. For me it’s been having to push play multiple times to get the unit to play/pause, not having the repeat settings work correctly all of the time, the fact that it loads slowly, etc. No reason to beat a dead horse. I was very hopeful this would all be fixed by now but the original code was obviously very, very bad and Barry and Matt had to start over. I was optimistic about today’s release but seeing as how discs I burned that have worked fine on all releases of PWT and DMP in the past and didn’t with this release, I honestly don’t know what to think. I was hoping everyone would be experiencing the same issue as that at least meant PSA knew what to work on. The fact it works in Boulder makes me think this is going to be a very long fix. Fingers crossed that I am wrong about that. As I said earlier, I’m stuck with 2.08. :frowning_face:

2 Likes

I find redbook CD to be more reliable than SACD with 3.04. It is hit or miss that you will get it to play in DSD now. I checked the settings and they are correct. I did notice on the hidden screen that there is a reference to Pure Audio but no indication if it is enabled or disabled. It is going to be hard to go back to 2.10 after the quicker loading of 3.04. I am glad that I can have each load on an SD card and switch easily.

Initial thoughts

• Very fast load time. When I close the tray, sometimes the first track starts on it’s own, other times it waits for me to press “play”, and a few times the disc started for a few seconds and then stopped by itself.

• I can now press “stop” while the music is playing and simply press “play” to restart, no need to eject the disc anymore. Hooray!

• The Transport numbers on the remote control do not work. You already know this.

• Moving to the next track using the remote – no issues with CDRB or CD-R’s, however, inconsistent with SACD’s. Sometimes it works with SACD’s, other times it won’t go to the next track. It doesn’t seem to be disc related, I never know which SACD or track will/won’t work. Anyone else having this issue?

• Fast Forward/Rewind within a track is not working from the remote.

Brodric, while I appreciate your feelings I don’t think your comment is helpful in the least. What do you hope to achieve by offering this remark about your disappointment? You’re not even participating in the beta test.

There’s been major progress and most have seen this. I had hoped to make it clear that this is not a finished released - and for the life of me I don’t know why you keep bringing up the comment about testing the crap out of it. When I did that it was with full knowledge of what had been fixed and what had not. Of what had been fixed and tested we’re doing pretty well. Thankfully a few unknowns have been uncovered which is exactly the purpose of this beta test.

If it would make you and the others more comfortable we can hold these beta tests in private and we probably should.

6 Likes

You’re right…I deleted the post, with reason given.

Good progress has been made with the beta software. As a reader on the outside looking in I think that sense is coming through thick and strong here.

Yes, Beta is ugly. I really enjoy the public Beta as the interplay is both interesting and productive. I also learn a lot about how people use the unit, so very different than me with many different concerns.

And I I am very impressed with how much work many are putting in to testing and explaining what they’ve experienced.

1 Like

I will say for what I could test the response time was waaay better. No need to push buttons multiple times to get them to work. :+1:

I’m going to guess the fact that burned files won’t play much of the time (at least my burned DVDs) and that the USB didn’t work for those files either (again in my case) is an unexpected and unpleasant surprise for the Boulder crew. I would love for it to be something I did wrong but switch back to 2.08 and all those discs play flawlessly.

Please…for the love of God…NO WHINING!!!

But WINING is OK, right? I mean, in the thirst quenching context. After-all, Paul did set the mood with the beer comment!

Deleted my previous report. I got thinking, gee. That software really doesn’t work very well… and I just checked. The new version wasn’t loaded. More tomorrow. Sorry.

With 3.04 when the DMP fails to play a SACD as DSD it is not reading the redbook layer. It is DSD layer but is putting out PCM 24 bit 88.2 to the DAC as if it lost the handshake to the DAC. If you check the screen that shows the connected DACS you will see the serial number of your Directstream.

I’ve been playing SACDs, CDs, DVD-R, etc all day with no hiccups. Ever since I rebooted to clear the issue with not recognizing a SACD, it has played flawlessly. I’ve thrown every combination at it that I have (sorry I don’t burn my own discs) and it hasn’t set a foot wrong. Since the reboot there have been no issues over 7 hours of playback.