Elyric MM not showing as a Media Server

Hi,

Elyric MM is not showing as a media server on my ipad app (to control my PW DAC and bridge), nor is it able to output directly from the program. I’ve tried restarting the UPnP, but it’s not working. Any ideas as to how to fix?

Thanks in advance.

Next thing to check is to see if a firewall is blocking it. Also check the network connection, can the computer get out to the network? Can you ping the PWD/Bridge from the computer? If you have not already, load fing on your iPad and see what it can see on the network. Similarly for the computer, just to see if it can see the Bridge. Something somewhere is blocking the connection and the firewall is the first place to look.

The more information that you can provide on your network configuration, the better.

J.P.

Hi, thanks JP.

I can see the bridge from my Mac (by putting the bridge’s IP address in safari), and the ipad can see my PWD/Bridge using fing.

I’m also using a NAS with twonky, and I can play tracks from that.

Any thoughts?

Can you see the bridge in safari from the iPad? Is the iPad on the same network?

Yes I can see the Bridge from safari on the iPad, and they are on the same network. Router, DAC, NAS and iMac are all hard wired.

Weird. It may be overkill, but its always good to do a complete reboot… Router first, computer/server/NAS second, DAC third. I’d then kill the iPad app and restart that.

while you are “overkilling”, reboot your MODEM too.

Have re-booted everything, and no change.

does it show “connected” on the PWD front panel?

Also, set up a new library directly on the mac and copy one album file to it.

Add that folder to EMM and then try to play it rather than from the nas.

If you are on the latest EMM [32.03} you can also try playing directly from EMM on the mac.

It just takes a process of elimination to figure out the problem.

I find the synergy between the mac and Bridge connection is crucial to ipad stability.

May I assume that they are all wired and no wireless?

G

Yes it is connected on the front panel and plays music from the NAS via twonky using the EMM controller.

I set up a new library on EMM and copied an album stored on the mac. It won’t play to the computer output (nor is that library showing on the EMM on the iPad).

I’ve done a fresh install of 32.03, so I don’t think that is the problem.

Have you made sure that all of your other devices on the computer are enabled (eg sound/midi) - it is worth checking this. It sounds like it is at the computer which is giving you the hassle and not the other networked devices if you can’t get it to play to the computer itself.

Sound is OK as outputting via itunes as normal. When I try to play direct from Elyric MM to the computer, I get a blue spinning ball.

@sallydog

Do you have Skype or viber?

I think David provided a good clue.

It seems EMM is not seeing the bridge.

Have you selected bridge as the output in EMM controls?

Also dbl check that Mac and iPad are on the same network.

You might also try giving a dynamic ip to everything and let the router do it’s thing.

If you are familiar with routers you could also reset it to factory settings and let it start fresh.

Again, process of elimination.

It’s odd that if @sallydog has a small music library on the mac and it loads into EMM that EMM won’t then play the tracks.

With the Elyric app on the ipad, do you have any problem selecting EMM as the renderer and the PWD as the DAC - that is - can you actually see them without them being greyed out, and when you select them, do your selections persist?

I ask this b/c if you can do this, then I would think the problem is on the EMM side, but if the app won’t hang onto the renderer/player selections on the ipad, it sounds more like network connectivity.

Thanks for everyone’s help. I can’t see EMM as the renderer in the ipad app nor is the bridge showing in the EMM controls (only shows computer output from controlsplay with menu). I’m wondering if it is something in my router settings. All my devices have assigned IP addresses in the DHCP server table.

Try uninstalling EMM 32.03. Install EMM 27, see if that works, then try upgrading to EMM 32.03 over this.

Thanks for everyone's help. I can't see EMM as the renderer in the ipad app nor is the bridge showing in the EMM controls (only shows computer output from controlsplay with menu). I'm wondering if it is something in my router settings. All my devices have assigned IP addresses in the DHCP server table.

I take for granted that you have not set a mac filter in your router (ignoring the mac for the Bridge) and that you have not confused anything while setting a DHCP range (if you have done this)?

If you are using a Linksys or netgear router, try a factory reset and set everything to DYNAMIC IP.

It will assign new addresses to everything.

Then set a limited DHCP range like .101 to .199.

Once everything is connecting ok, then you can set static IPs OUTSIDE the limited DHCP range.[ like.10, .25, .50 etc}

@sallydog - yes, do as @stereophilus suggests with EMM 27. It may solve all of your problems. I’d forgot that some people had install probs with the later version but we know that 27 was generally successful.

After that, try your router reboot and settings - but do one thing at a time so you can figure out what is causing the problem.