Finally....PerfectWave SACD Transport

So, does anyone know what “DoP Mode” refers to? I’ve done some reading and it seems to apply to non-I2S connections. I’ve left it at the default “split.”

For that matter, what is “PS Audio Access”? Is that like how Apple monitors your system stats?

Thanks, Paul. The thing that was wrong was the IR Status. Terrence set it straight. :slight_smile:

If I recall correctly, DoP mode has something to do with whether you are using the Bridge to play DoP files rather than other inputs.

Oh, ok. I don’t have Bridge, so should I leave it at “split”?

From the owners manual:

“To obtain double-rate DoP (DSD Over PCM) audio via the XLR outputs, connect both the Left and Right (L and R) XLR outputs to the corresponding inputs on your DAC (if it is so equipped).“

I do not think this answers @rfprice 's question.

@rfprice , I would leave the setting at the default unless you are having a problem of some kind and are attempting to troubleshoot.

Then that’s what I’ll do.

Just hit play for the first time. Natty Dread. Not bad at all.

2 Likes

Good to know this solves the remote problem. I thought it was supposed to be ON by default.
While in the menus, other settings you might want to check for playing SACD are these “confusing” (my apologies to Barry.) layer and layer default settings. I have a post on this below.

Also, might want to confirm the FW is 2.4.2, the most recent one, where this bug “ Unit locks up after continuous play” is fixed. This might be helpful, when trying to burn-in the PST by looping the playback (via USB key, for example) and not to be caught by surprise by the newly purchased ~$7k (with TAX) transport freezes up.

By the way, might want to check the network is off, if you are not using the OTA FW update feature.

The FW is indeed 2.4.2 but I plan to just let it burn-in over time.

However flipping through the network subfolder I noticed something interesting. When I land on WPS, the setting is off. If I click through a complete circle and arrive at WPS again, the setting is on. If I do another complete circle it is off again. And so forth.

Indeed, I cycle the menus as you did, the WPS changes from off to on. Since this is a wifi feature, I guess as long as Wifi enable is off, WPS should have no effect (Can Barry or James double check this? Thanks)
I have to say that as a PST beta tester about a year ago, I never test the network feature. I always thought, in general, network is noisy, if I can avoid it, I will. (And yes, as you can guess, my DSDAC does not have bridge II network card.) IMHO, I also thought the OTA network FW update feature is a little bit overkill for PST to be on the network all the time when the FW update is less frequent. I am happy with FW update with USB key. My guess the network feature on PST is a repurpose of the existing network feature from the previous transport, which needs network access to get the album info from the internet.
My redbook CDs come to live on PST+DSDAC. I believe, just like me, you will enjoy this fine piece of craftsmanship.

I’m already enjoying it. I’ve gone from Marley, to Van Cliburn, to Haydn to MJ. A good start to the weekend.

I share the same philosophy. I don’t have Bridge and don’t connect to the network. Minimal is best.

But I’m still curious. What is “PS Audio Access” in the System subfolder? I’ve set it to ‘off’ and I guess that’s enough.

I have no idea either.
IMHO, PST “owner’s reference” might need to be updated to reflect these new settings, explain DoP split vs stereo, and also fill in question such as USB files playback which does not follow the filename order, but the file copied in order (I.e. first copy in will be the first playback).
A Q&A section might also help.

The DOP split Vs Stereo has to do with someone connecting to other than a PS Audio DAC that wants to play double rate DSD. If your dac has two inputs for data you can connect it with two cables and set to split to send double rate dsd

1 Like

That makes sense.

1 Like

Thanks for explaining, this is what I thought on “split”. If two cables are connected to sent double rate with split, then, in this setting, what it will do on single rate? It also split to two parts, or it just send single rate via one cable?
How about “stereo”? How Does this work? Thanks.

Terrence,
The split will function the same when playing single and double rate DOP (DSD) when using two cables to DAC. When you want to use only one cable than Stereo would be the correct setting. Of course when using the single cable only single rate will be sent to the DAC.
John

1 Like

Thanks. It is clear now.

And otherwise, the setting has no effect when connecting to the PSA DAC over I2S. Correct?

Correct

I have been able to update my PST in the past without problems directly through ethernet. Now when I try to get the new firmware updated I get a message that there is no update available. I am at 2.3.1. I then tried using a USB stick and after following the directions and using more than one USB stick, I still will not get it to update. I have used different size USB sticks formated to exFat and 4096k allocation size. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.