For Which Component Do You Use Your Best Power Cord?

Absolutely!

I use the one I think is best to my pre-amp but the one Nordost says is best to my two 2-channel power-amps I use to my main speakers.

I use the “worst” cable to my P15

worst = Still fantastic compared to the cable I got with my P15

I can’t see the point of having the best power cord to something that’s regenerating “new perfect power” by itself neither.

2 Likes

You are right there. What benefits most of better power cables depends on how much power they draw so your power-amps is the first who should get the best power cord.
I read about that someplace and the logic, and my ears, agrees with that also.

I believe that, while this does seem logical, much depends on the size and quality of the component’s power supply. For example, my power amp’s power supply is described as significantly oversized, with much reserve capacity. And it seems to be quite insensitive ( but not completely) to cable upgrades.
It took a very high quality cable to produce a significant improvement.

1 Like

Hey George…

Simple answer: your polling question suggests looking for a solution to place
the "one " cord… which will leave the “what if” … over on this other component
or that one over there a tantalizing excercise in futility…until you get the
a quality power cord on all components…

I went through a similar scenario from the persepective of preamp…
that was the eyeopener that that said get each piece it’s own quality
power cord…

One quality power cord in one spot alone simply will not do justice for
the entire system…at best suggest how much better it would be
for the entire system as a whole…

Hope that explains it…

Best wishes

1 Like

Just checked my system again, after returning from work. I definitely feel like it was a considerable improvement in sound quality, simply by switching the power cord I had on my regenerator (my best cord) with the one I had on my source.

3 Likes

Glad you tried that…

And improvements continue on from there in a synergistic manner…

So as time goes on upgrade the remainder of your power cords…
You will ber gad you did…

Best wishes

3 Likes

This hard to vote for me as all my power cables are the same.

2 Likes

I only have two, and they’re different from one another (one is an old PSA cable I got thrown in when I bought a shop demo P500 12 or 13 years ago; the other is a Signal cable whose origin I no longer remember), so rather than risk an imbalance in using them with my M700s, I chose to feed my P3 with the PSA cable and use the Signal to feed my SGCD.

I may upgrade some of the others in the next year or two before retirement, but if I do, they’ll be value cables rather than signature-type products.

1 Like

Hey Craig…take a look at the Pangra power cables…
you might want to consider these.
I am using a full loom in my system and they are outstanding!!!
Unsung heroes really…

I run the AC9SE MkIIs from P15 to wall and Parasound JC5 to
P15…the AC9SE MkII are really a 7 gauge cable…
All my front ends on the AC14SE MkIIs

My system’s dynamics are absolutely amazing…no need for kilobuck
cables that may not even yield the same performance…

Best wishes

2 Likes

I have tried close to a dozen power cords in the past. I found the most important component to use in my system is the generator, then the DAC or Preamp (depending upon cables). Amps have the least improvement I found.

3 Likes

Source first. Always. If the source component, whatever it is, is compromised nothing done downstream in the amplification chain can fix it. In my case, my phono pre gets the best cord I’ve got in-house.

2 Likes

Those are a bargain for sure.

1 Like

Tricky one…
As I’ve long found that powercords ‘best’ for high current use (amps, regen, cond.) most of times may not be so for lower ones (sources etc.), and vice-versa.
But if ever there’s one that does it equally well, I’d place it right at the beginning ie.from wall to regen/cond. where everything plugged into it share the benefit—best bang for the buck.

1 Like

Currently (cough) I have my two best power cables on my DAC and my Grimm MU1. Second place is tied with everything else having the same model cable. The two best have “Limited Edition” in their name.

That means something right?

3 Likes

LE bearing means a lot with PP AP RM (horology) not so sure with cables (audio) tho’ lol🍻

1 Like

I appreciate the tip, and I’ve looked at Pangea, but among their offerings, the AC-9SE MkII would be at the very high end (or beyond) whatever budget I might assign to this project, especially since I’d probably be needing 1.5-2.0 meter runs. I’m more likely to be choosing among Signal, Cullen or Ice Age.

That’s not intended as a comment on anyone else’s cable budget. Mine is just pretty tight and very fixed.

3 Likes

Thanks Craig

Certainly understand about budget…grew my system step at a time
as well as making use of big (to me) anniversary discounts…made the
unobtaniums obtainable over time…

Best wishes

I started out with a full loom of AC-9SE MkII’s and I can tell you it sounds pretty incredible compare to stock. It has a fullness and clarity that is very addicting.

3 Likes

I have used Cullen Crossover2 and they are great power cord that’s designed for amps.

1 Like