Forum Concerns

That is probably because most of the polls I set up are in middle of existing threads. When I start a new thread with poll, the turnout is much greater (remember the “How Old Are You?; and What is Your Gender?” poll?).

Sorry, had to step away. Yes, I can still edit it after you edited it.

Excellent!

Thanks!

After taking a stab at creating the POLL questions, it became immediately apparent that there are two many variables to create a question and answer type of poll that is not overly complex. If complex, it won’t garner participation.

My suggestion is this…

Elk, you create a 15 sentence or less paragraph justifying your decision to conditionally edit posts containing embedded quotes.

There will be a 15 sentence or less counter-opinion formed, individually or collaboratively, by those who have voiced an opinion in this thread.

It is these two paragraphs that will make up the Poll and users will simply choose which position they support.

What do you all think?

While your intentions are excellent, this is not a Me v. Them issue such a poll implies. Rather the goal is to find the best way to move forward so that the forum is its best possible and a great place to express any opinion one might have regarding audio.

I believe we already have a good approach for moving forward. I will be judicious in editing quotes, particularly in avoiding the lack of a pointer problem which occurred with bootzilla’s post. Also, everyone, including me, will be thoughtful when quoting: “Do I need to quote this? Is not a pointer to the post to which I am responding sufficient? If I need to quote, can it be trimmed?”

And it looks like we solved the locked post which cannot be edited problem.

Finally, I encourage everyone to be a bit thick-skinned. Others are going to disagree with opinions you express. This does not mean you are being attacked personally or being picked-on. I have been surprised with the exceedingly negative dismissive reactions some have recently expressed merely because they were met with some disagreement.

The forum would be very dull and lifeless if it were only a big echo chamber where everyone held identical narrow views.

5 Likes

That is an acceptable way ahead for me.

Just so you are aware, I wasn’t intending to label each side of the argument in such a way that would imply a Me vs. Them type of scenario where objectivity could be lost due to any personal/emotional attachment to the issue. If that was to occur, it would defeat the intent of the poll in helping to resolve this matter in the best interest of everyone.

Alrighty then… Shall we proceed on?

2 Likes

Yes please, if you have the time. In the past this has been a problem on this forum which Elk tried to address by pointing out the posts where this occurred. I don’t remember if that was on the previous software or not but it was a real problem when multiple members would quote entire posts in order for others to know what they were responding to. Threads could get extremely long unnecessarily. I may have done this myself before learning how to snip exactly what I was responding to from the post rather than quoting the entire post. Not all who come to this forum are adept at using the software. For example I never before knew that you could click on the reply to see what someone was reacting to until today. How would I? As I said Elk addressed these more than likely unintentional by responding to the posts where it occurred and asking them to quote only the relevant terms instead of entire posts. People could at times seem to feel like they were being attacked if it was pointed out that they were doing this. This problem no longer really exists like it did before and I am grateful. As I have not seen Elk point out when people do this I assume that Elk is just cleaning things up himself as he sees them. Editing out words that someone posted is a different matter and should be avoided in my view unless someone is posting something intentionally insulting or just trolling in general. In these cases we have all seen Elk warn those who post such things and nicely ask them to stop. Well done. As a result this forum is a place I like to come and learn daily about all kinds of different subjects relating to the hobby I enjoy so much. Drama is kept to a minimum and that is a feat in and of itself.

One observation from my side is that if someone state something and you reply to the individual adressing the post’s content and the quote now is gone, others come in and reply without the full overview. Now, If the new reply is clarifying, this is the most important thing, however it looks like the first answer is missing some context and the last answer signifies that the previous poster don’t seem to have got the grasp of the topic of discussion. None of this is true and it is all a result of the missing quote…

Come on, @Paul . If you look at the Roon forum, there are no issues there with people overdoing quoting and there is ZERO policing of quoting done by the moderators. Instead of penalizing everyone because a few people over quote, let people use quotes without Elk deleting quotes. If someone goes crazy using quotes improperly, have Elk educate them or point them to a FAQ about quoting. This should take far less of Elk’s time AND make for a better forum experience.

3 Likes

100% agree!

1 Like

I don’t really love ELK. I am often not his opinions. I am often excluded if I have been bad. But calling ELK a dictator is probably just rough enough. More love Denmark

17309852_10212834238357117_4238214619177856256_n

1 Like

Your thinking is excellent and you are always gracious in your approach.

Good point, Frode.

People are expecting much from an @Elk
The creature is wild and untamed but at the end, it’s part of the environment, so adapting to the changing conditions is vital. The thick brush has been cleared so the the @Elk doesn’t get its horns tangled up and hurt.

2 Likes

This is definitely the most time effective solution. Have a standard reply to people that you can copy and paste, to educate them on how to quote selective parts of someone’s post.

Unless he really enjoys spending the time editing posts?

Now that you agree there can be issues with quoting, what precisely is “using quotes improperly?”

What specifically will I indicate when educating them?

What exactly will your proposed FAQ say?

What actions should be taken if the reeducated user fails to follow these guidelines?

@Elk

Here’s the deal. I would only get in someone’s face about quoting if they regularly quoted entire posts instead of the necessary context. If it only happens once or twice you don’t need to go all hall monitor on them. It’s just not that big a deal.

If someone makes a habit of over quoting, and you have already given them the benefit of the doubt, just tell them they are quoting too much text and to only include the necessary context. Most people figure this out intuitively. The poster may have a different take than you on what “necessary context” is. Defer to the poster unless it is egregious and habitual. You should be looking for reason to not get involved instead of reasons to get involved.

The site FAQ should just mention something about not over quoting and to make sure to include just the necessary context.

5 Likes

…hard to argue in my opinion.

1 Like

After taking time to carefully follow this subject, I complement all involved in this discussion. A careful read is not my style.

I have an admission that is tangential to the various logics presented. I am a lazy reader and usually don’t read the quotes; I depend getting the gist of the writers point.

Not wanting to disrespect anyone, just to offer some extraneous information for your consideration.

Chas

Agreed. For a moderator, this would free up more personal time too…

2 Likes