FPGA improvements in Redcloud

Hi, everyone.

Please use “Add Reply” and not “quote” when simply replying to the last post. I just cleaned up this thread which had a lot of unneeded quotes, some nested, but with little new text for the most part.

Thanks!

Am in interpreting this correctly that in a matter of hours Redcloud will be released?

Damn I wish I had it now to play with since I’m alone and doing a listening session.

I guess I’ll have to occupy my attention and fiddle with soldering in some new coils for the flippers in a pinball machine.

Funny thing is all I can find is some pure silver solder - so a pinball flipper is getting audiophile grade solder. LOL

Ted et al., you are absolutely incredible! Christmas came early this year. Well I have new speakers coming soon, so it’s the Christmas that just keeps coming!! :smiley:

So is there an ETA for Redcloud?

From the initial post, it said 2 weeks and that was about a week and a half ago. Is the end of this week or early next week a likelihood?

See Paul’s post: http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directstream-all-about-it/dsj-huron-hiss-at-low-level-issue/page-2/#p81306

Ted Smith said

More involving music - my wife said everything I played made her want to dance and she was upstairs while I was playing downstairs. I’m always amazed at how improvements in the bass affect everything. Everything is better integrated and more effortless. I want to play things louder and if I overdo it there’s less ear stress than previous releases. I know that some will want to play things softer since everything will be that much clearer.

badooki said In the source device, playback is performed at 96 KHz and in DSJ, playback is performed at 48 KHz. If I upgrade to redcloud, will this problem be resolved?

Since the clocking for the bridge comes from the FPGA there’s a chance that reinstalling the current software will fix things, to do that you need to first install, say Torreys and then reinstall Huron. I had a problem like you mention with the USB input once years ago with some prototype software - reinstalling the software fixed things. I have no reason to believe that there’s some bug in Huron that is fixed in Redcloud which would cause your problem.

There’s also a chance that there’s something like a solder short or piece of debris that’s causing your symptom (there are traces from the bridge to the FPGA specifying what sample rate to generate), in that case you’ll need to have your DSJ serviced or replaced.

Another remote possibility, if you’ve never been able to use the bridge input, is that something is wrong with the configuration of the software driving the bridge. I couldn’t guess what it might be without more details (and probably not then either.) But I had that problem with the bridge when I was first trying to use it years ago. Multiple things were wrong with my system when I was first trying out the bridge and it was also on a development system so I couldn’t say if I was experiencing exactly the same situation you are.

So it wouldn’t hurt to try loading Torreys, then Huron and perhaps checking your configuration again. Depending on what software you are using, various people may be able to help verify your configuration.

Thank you for your reply.

I would like to know how to downgrade from Huron to Torreys.

I downloaded and run DSJR0121-9999.zip, but DSJ did not respond.

I am getting a lot of stress.

Please.

You need http://www.psaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/11-073-01-1-FMC-7.zip to downgrade from Huron to Torreys in the DSJr and follow the instructions http://www.psaudio.com/ps_how/upgrade-directstream-operating-system/

Hope this will help you out.

Getting ready for RedCloud. I have a new / empty 16gb sd card. I would like to put RedCloud on it. I am trying to figure out why this would be an issue. I know a smaller card is recommended. I think 2gb ? I have used 8gb without issue. Anyone see any reason why the 16gb card would be an issue?

The bootloader is only expecting cards of a certain size. Many other cards may work if you are lucky and all of the data ends up in places that would be legitimate for the smaller card - so often a freshly formatted card with only the upgrade files on it that’s too large will work just fine. Just don’t count on it.

See, http://www.psaudio.com/ps_faq/sd-card-questions/

Thanks Ted. I’ll give it a shot. It’s hard to find - I believe it’s the 2gb or 4gb cards these days.

Thanks elk!! :slight_smile:

timm,

I’ve been using 8 GB cards and they work just fine. I believe that 16 and 32 MB cards also work as well.

Newegg.com has dozens of 2 or 4 gb SD cards for as low as $6 with free shipping. Amazon usually has the same ones.

Ted Smith said

Steady state or averaged measurements don’t really show the problem in earlier releases - arguably if steady state measurements showed it we would have fixed it long ago. With Redcloud the noise floor is very flat over the audio frequencies (up to about 70, 80 or 90kHz) and doesn’t depend on the signal - there aren’t any spurs to be found. There’s a little low level THD like in any DAC, but it’s lower than it used to be. There’s also a little less THD distortion in the lower frequencies. The differences between Redcloud and Huron in the bass will be similar to the differences between Huron and Torreys in the bass. It’s hard to describe how things solidify when the bass is better time aligned with every thing else, but it makes a noticeable difference over the whole audio frequency range. I do hope we can get JA to redo his Stereophile measurements, but I don’t know if that’s in the works or not.

Ted, in JA’s Stereophile review he also estimated that the DirectStream DAC had 17 bit resolution. Do you concur? Am I correct in assuming whatever the sound quality improvements in Redcloud, the DirectStream DAC resolution itself is unaffected?

Also, are all of the original samples preserved through final signal output or are they destroyed in the upsampling process? If the original sample are not preserved, is there any concerns over this musical accuracy-wise?

htpc said

Ted, in JA’s Stereophile review he also estimated that the DirectStream DAC had 17 bit resolution. Do you concur? Am I correct in assuming whatever the sound quality improvements in Redcloud, the DirectStream DAC resolution itself is unaffected?

Also, are all of the original samples preserved through final signal output or are they destroyed in the upsampling process? If the original sample are not preserved, is there any concerns over this musical accuracy-wise?

Many of his measurements are obscured by the noise inherent in single bit DSD DACs. (See for example his complaints when measuring the well regarded Playback Designs MPS-5 https://www.stereophile.com/content/playback-designs-mps-5-sacdcd-player-measurements)

There’s also a difference between resolution and noise floor. Resolution is the least difference on the input that has the proper change in the output. Ironically JA later complains about the non-linearity at -120dBFS - if the resolution was indeed only around 102dB (17 bits) how was he be measuring changes in the output caused by a signal with fewer than 20 bits (-120dBFS)? (That non-linearity was improved with in later releases of DS software, some of which JA also reports on.)

Perhaps thinking of dither would help illustrate this - dither increases resolution at the expense of raising the noise floor. Using dither 16 bits can achieve more than the otherwise expected 96dBFS resolution but the noise floor is then raised above the otherwise expected -96dBFS.

Releases since his original measurements have lowered both the digital noise floor and the analog noise floor over the audio range and lowered the ultrasonic noise even more.

This is in part why I’d like to see new measurements from John: With Redcloud he would see better resolution and better low level linearity (a -96 or -120dBFS signal doesn’t have any of the distortions apparent in his earlier measurements.)

Not only are all inputs bits preserved, they are preserved at any volume setting. The minimum (non mute) volume setting is one which represents -49.5dBFS. Measuring the effect of changing one lower level input bit with the volume set to -49.5dBFS takes a lot of time (you need to do FFTs with a lot of buckets and average many of them together.)

The advantage of single bit DSD is that with a single bit there is inherent linearity (two points define a line) unlike PCM implementations which often loose linearity long before their noise floors.

In essence Redcloud fixes a long standing bug in the signal processing in the FPGA that disrupted the inherent linearity of single bit DSD.

Newegg.com has dozens of 2 or 4 gb SD cards for as low as $6 with free shipping. Amazon usually has the same ones.”

Look in the checkout line at your local grocery store - small USB sticks are everywhere these days.

When is Redcloud actually coming? I thought it was supposed today.

It was. We get waylaid. Sorry. Next week, for sure. We also have the new Bridge II code finished with all the new features… stay tuned. It’ll be huge.

Thank you…

What new features are going to be there in the new code for bridgeII please? Intriguing! :slight_smile: