Hey Joe (New Octave release)

The problem we ran into is that the SACD house in Austria does not also do DVD data discs. Which meant that we had to separately produce the DVD disc then hand insert every disc into the SACD jacket, a process that was mind numbingly tedious (Gus did each one by hand).

If we can figure out how to do both and get them prepackaged we’d be happy to go back to that.

1 Like

@waymanchen11 in general I agree with you - I’m going to play the best version I have. However, one thing I’ve been trying to do for a while but with very little success (without spending extra money) is to sound test different formats (resolutions) of the same recording.

I find it really hard to find a DSD and a PCM of the identical version of a record. Or a 24x96 and 24x192 of the same version without paying twice for it. More often than not when a new hi-res version of an album comes out it is usually a ‘remastering’ meaning it isn’t the same version and therefore not valid for doing comparisons of formats. The Hey Joe download gave me my first real shot at comparing formats without hitting my wallet. I think the only other opportunity in my personal library is Muddy Waters’ Folk Singer which I have the original CD and then the 24x192 digital copy. Everything else tends to be a remastering and twiddling with the sound board dials.

So yes I wholeheartedly agree with you, I’ll play the DSD going forward (probably the digital sourced version), but appreciated the opportunity PSA gave me to experiment listening this time.

The reason I just go to the DSD version is because from the last release (Temporary Circumstances), I tried all the different versions except the 16bit which it didn’t come in, and found DSD is the way to go! There was little doubt it was the best version and closest to top end vinyl in my opinion.

So the vinyl turns up and on the back it says recorded using Gus Skinas Sonoma multitrack. It was then mixed and mastered by some other guys and the 24/96 master was used to transfer to vinyl.

It’s a good sounding pressing.

I wonder why it is only on Qobuz in 16/44 PCM when there is a 24/96 master. Strange.

This is a really cool album. The recording is great!

Seems to be alot of bass which I like.