Hey Joe (New Octave release)

Elk, that makes sense… but why would someone do that in the first place? Also, since there is no listing of what tracks 11-20 are in this case, are these tracks same as the first 1-10 tracks?

Keith

Some like the sound of the LP played on their turntable and want it to be conveniently available as with their CDs, some are pirating the music and illegally sharing, some are legitimate digital copies of LPs no longer available and the copyright owner does not have a source better than the LP, etc.

I have no idea about the tracks.

You bring up a good point, while the actual sound on the SACD is exquisite and the packaging is beautiful, there is an unusual absence of detail regarding the disc. Who were the musicians? Who was singing in addition to Otis Taylor on 'Hey Joe (B)? What were the technical details of the recording of the needle drop? And a question I have already asked and received no answer - with the DSD and the Needle drop - the combined time of the SACD is approximately 98 minutes - is this usual or has the bit rate been compromised to accommodate the excess time (I’ve not listened to the needle drop tracks so can’t comment) or is the needle drop the same as the surround sound portion of a regular SACD?

The vinyl sleeve is extremely poor quality and lacking information.

I understood it that way…those tracks are the same just from the LP.

The only thing is, what you compare is the quality of the (not declared) vinyl rig used for the needle drop plus the loss of the digital conversion…with your DAC quality and the different recording format‘s influence.

A lot of variables and every quick judgement related to one of those aspects only would be wrong.

Some time ago I compared the following needledrop, done by the folks of Analogue Productions with a listed, probably 30k+ phono setup, with the same LP played on my deck. I can only say that their setup can’t sound as much inferior compared to mine at the time as this comparison suggested. So it really depends on all above mentioned aspects how such comparisons end.

Jazznut - you know it just means your digital rig is crap! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I can live with the fact that any equipment is crap against a better one. Some spent a hell lot of money on not realizing this :wink:

3 Likes

I agree the “extra” tracks are more enjoyable on some tracks. Why didn’t they give us a little more information on these tracks?

Yeah, there is something about them that I have not quite come to be able to identify and describe yet.

More listening is needed! :slight_smile:

Are you referring to the needle drop? That’s 96/24 PCM from a Sony turntable with a Sure V15 cartridge Gus had. It sounded so good that we decided to include it on the release. Gus had made that a while ago.

@Paul: Not sure if you were asking me…but yes, those “extra” tracks are really good and the music and/or their recording (at least for a few of them) seems to set the tracks apart from the first 10 tracks (in a good way).

FWIW.

“96/24 PCM from a Sony turntable with a Sure V15 cartridge”

(Grasps chest and staggers around the room) “I’m comin’ to join ya, Elizabeth!”

8 Likes

That’s funny schitt!

I’m still wondering if the fact that a 40 year old cartridge (playing back a lower resolution PCM conversion) competes with DSD technology (and obviously for some beats it), is a shame or mark-up for current technology :wink:

1 Like

Keep in mind digital completely captures this vinyl sound. So which is “better?”

1 Like

I know, I know. I shuddered even writing those words.

3 Likes

Better is which’s native sound (native recording/playback) is inheriting more original information :wink:

But this is meant for pure digital or pure analog, not for a vinyl playback of a downsampled inferior (than DSD) digital format, recorded again to DSD.

The reason why this should sound better is still a mystery to me. Some good vibrations possibly :wink:

Is anyone still waiting for their copy of Hey Joe? I ordered mine 11/15. Live north of Chicago I figure It would of arrived by now.

Mails this time of year have been pretty slow. Sorry for the wait. We’ve been mailing out purchases with a few days of receiving them.

Thanks for the update. I’m looking forward to hearing the DSD version of Hey Joe!