How to update PWD Firmware

An advantage of zip files is that they provide an additional level of data integrity. The zip and unzip process include error checking for the processed files.

As with Elk I am surprised that more than a very few users have any kind of challenge handling zip files.

J.P.

@streets still works Well, if we don’t zip it then we can’t have a single download file - and that seems uber confusing to me. You’d have to separately download each of the files and if you missed one …

@streets still works Well, if we don't zip it then we can't have a single download file - and that seems uber confusing to me. You'd have to separately download each of the files and if you missed one .......

Yeah, but the rule from Mr. Murphy would argue that folks would take the .zip and put that in the root directory on the SD card and get bad results, then blame PS Audio for it. There's got to be a better way, say make an executable that does the download, places all old files into archive on the SD card, and places the new files in the root directory of the SD. That way there's only one click (and the user has to put the SD card in their machine)

Remember the old saying: "It's impossible to make things foolproof because fools are so ingenious."

--SSW

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE AUTOMATIC UPDATE ON THE PWD?

SHOULD THAT NOT BE CHILDPROOF.[caps on purpose]

@streets still works - i hear what you are saying but think it fair of ps to assume some minimal competency with computers and software, and the instructions are pretty clear. Short of going to people’s houses and setting up their gear for them, we have to expect that people buying high end gear should have a sense of how things work, or be willing to learn. Afterall, as we’ve all come to appreciate, the PWD is a very special type of computer.

For the record I DO NOT WANT AUTO UPDATES (caps on purpose)

David said: For the record I DO NOT WANT AUTO UPDATES (caps on purpose)

I hear ya.
Only Beta approved updates should be offered and one MUST push the "accept" button to do it.
I can tell you and Streets, from MY experience, that there are many PSA Audiophiles out there who are inhibited when it comes to networks, routers, sd cards, WTF is FAT?, that we should not ASSUME that everyone is comfortable and willing.
This is where a GREAT and well thought tutorial [step by step] is long overdue.

“When you assume, you make an ass out of u and me.”
~ Oscar Wilde on Assumption

I am not saying that people don’t need help, but this is sophisticated technology, far from plug and play when doing networking. people need to be prepared to put in a bit of effort. Indeed, Gordon, you’ve more or less nailed the case shut that people’s networks are often really not robust and are often the culprit. That’s not PS’s doing…

David, but customers are paying a lot of money and they want to listen to good music, not ditz with their stereos on the computer.

So here’s what we do guys, and maybe it’ll be simple enough so Paul sells more PWDs. And Bridges.

So how about if we update the code on the Bridge and PWD such that the option to upgrade the PWD firmware is now a choice on the touchscreen on the PWD? So the user does have to navigate to a screen for the update. He hits the button for ‘latest’ update or has to navigate deeper into another page to pick one of the older, archived versions. But he has the choice. Upon tapping the desired button, the firmware goes to the PSA server and downloads (via the Bridge) the latest firmware files, writes them onto the SD card, archives the old files (or throws them away), and once the download is completed tells the customer “Ready” on the touch screen. The user then merely turns off the power switch at the rear, turns it on again, and then waits for the reboot. (Hopefully by then one can store a preset volume level so the user doesn’t have to reset the volume every time the PWD reboots. OK–pet peeve. Grrrr.)

Really, make it simple, and more will come.

Just a thought.

–SSW

Edit: Oh, and have an option where the customer can do the same thing by using his iOS device with eLyric. Or EMM. :slight_smile:

Does it not do that now?

front panel shows that update is available?

David, I’m still with you on this, but.

Again, from experience, "MY NETWORK WORKS FINE FOR EVERYTHING ELSE, SO WHY IS ADDING A BRIDGE, MY NETWORK’S FAULT?

Customer is always right, even if he/she is not.

Does it not do that now?
front panel shows that update is available?

Gordon, I thought only the Bridge firmware can get updated from the front panel, and that's only to the one (latest) configuration for the Bridge (Remember the PWD by itself without the Bridge doesn't have an Ethernet port) So the PWD can't self-update. What I suggest is using that Bridge link to update the PWD firmware without having to yank out the SD card. Plus you can update to any version that sounds sonically best in your own system.

Just a thought.

--SSW

@streets still works

I think you are correct since without the Bridge there is no net connection.

Doh! I’ve never used either.

Your idea has merit as long as the user retains the choice of updating or not and even perhaps turning off the notification so ELK’s cat doesn’t do it by accident.

Gordon said: . . . so ELK's cat doesn't do it by accident

They don't drink no stinkin' light near-beer and they listen to the music, not fool with the equipment.

While I agree there should be no need to hand-hold basic software updates, anything PSA can do to make the process easier to understand and perform is highly valuable.

A numbered step-by step may be the best way to start.

I am still trying to wrap my head around needing to explain a zip file to a populace educated and successful enough to purchase a PWD.

Elk said: I am still trying to wrap my head around needing to explain a zip file to a populace educated and successful enough to purchase a PWD.

Yup. If someone wraps a new 911 GTS around a tree, is Porsche to blame for the tree or the driving skills?

I think it is great the community helps with the often not straightforward land of networked audio and that PS is responsive to consumer needs they can handle.

@dcastle @elk I’m firmly in your camp. I think personally responsibility needs to take over at some point. Sure there is a grey area, and some people will feel a line in the sand amounts to exclusion, but the expense/inconvenience to PS Audio would detract considerably from any perceived benefits. Especially when there are rumours of some interesting new developments in the pipeline… :smiley:

Ok guys, please post your tel numbers for support. =))

As I indicated, anything PSA can do to make the process easier is worthwhile. Great service is a wonderful thing. Completely automatic upgrades would be a good thing.

Yet, I find disturbing the complete lack of sophistication of some users. How did vinyl survive? You need to install a cartridge.

Perhaps there should be a test before one is allowed to buy a PWD.

I used to work as a tech in a computer store and those of us in the service department figured thath there really should be a test that must be passed before being allowed to buy a computer. You can hear all kinds of crazy computer stories and the frightening thing is that most if not all are true. This group is fairly sophisticated with their computer savvy… The questions and requests for help I see in some other groups makes me wonder how the posters are able to turn their computers on much less read and post in the forums! :open_mouth: I am coming to more understand grumpy old men as I seem to be getting less tolerant of ignorance and incompetence as the years go by. :confused:

J.P.

You mean like that convenient drink tray that pops out from the front of the computer?

Or how their screen got all scratched from using the mouse?

Those sorts of stories?

JJ

Hi All,

I followed all instructions. I know how to work a .zip file. I have a 2 GB SD card. I have formatted it. I tried downgrading to 202. I tried upgrading to 243. I tried fully disconnecting the power to my PWD. I tried the number alteration in the CFG file.

Nothing works. My PWD just keeps starting as if nothing happened. Never any blinking. Never any other version than 220.

So…what do I try next? Pls try posting your tips on this forum, as calling me on my Dutch phone is probably difficult.

Thanks in advance. Please consider a simple button on the PWD that forces the machine to reinstall the software.

Wouter

@wouterklink just before we go into too much detail, please make sure the SD card is FAT16 formatted, and that when you place it in the PWD, the brass contacts are facing up. Sounds simple, but it catches most people out at least once!