Loudspeaker Recommendations

Yes, I wasn't going to be first to question the bi-amp approach. As time goes by I am also less convinced that bi-wiring is always necessary or desirable.

Perhaps on the more polite than revealing end of the spectrum, a pair of the floor standing Cremona M from Sonus Faber would be very nice. Even when they are not playing you can drool at the cabinetry.

I also ignored the bi-amp part of the equation.

Of course you could always go this route…

Cheap and loud. B-)

Attached files

Again not sure of the budget but Magico’s are pretty nice, YG’s, small Wilsons… there really are many great speakers… all different flavors :slight_smile:

Rossop, as you are in Australia, I will put in a good word for SGR speakers (active, sealed box with electronic crossovers), and Mike Lenehan speakers (particularly the ml2 stand mount speakers). Mike is a great guy and will customize the speakers to your needs and tastes. There are some SGR CX4F’s available second hand on stereonet.com.au. For a smaller room like yours, these two would be the designs I would look at.

Finally, I will put in a word for my lovely PMC speakers. Love them, although maybe too big for your room.

@elk Oh, I did not realize there were budget parameters. Sorry

Yes, I wasn't going to be first to question the bi-amp approach. As time goes by I am also less convinced that bi-wiring is always necessary or desirable.

Perhaps on the more polite than revealing end of the spectrum, a pair of the floor standing Cremona M from Sonus Faber would be very nice. Even when they are not playing you can drool at the cabinetry.

Agreed on the sonus faber. Everything sounds nice, and they sure look nice... But no chills down the spine, no air guitar.

Not at all. Rossop appears to want all suggestions - regardless of price.

All suggestions for sure & what is the problem with bi-amping. I have Herron pre with 4 Poweramps. Two on the tweeters and two on the woofers. The FS 888s are a two way floorstander with dual sets of binding post. It sounds better than using just the two power amps.

Not at all. Rossop appears to want all suggestions - regardless of price.

All suggestions for sure & what is the problem with bi-amping. I have Herron pre with 4 Poweramps. Two on the tweeters and two on the woofers. The FS 888s are a two way floorstander with dual sets of binding post. It sounds better than using just the two power amps.

Nothing wrong with bi-amping per se, but I would never limit my speaker choices to only those that can be bi-amped.

Some very nice used dynaudio temptation options on audiogon at the moment.

Not based on price , what makes one speaker better than the other. As most people here recommend speakers that are not very large. And also given some really expensive hi end speakers are also not very large in what ways are they better or the same as some very large set ups , example the genesis giants ?

Focal Diablo Utopia. Beautifully sounding and small enough to fit almost any room. Never get tired listening to them. Best I have ever purchased.

Focals are very tasty

Nothing wrong with bi-amping per se, but I would never limit my speaker choices to only those that can be bi-amped.

Good point.
alrainbow said: Not based on price , what makes one speaker better than the other.

Frankly, the ones that you like the best. :)

bagerbob, Focals have been one of my “If I win the lottery” dream speakers to own. Especially the Grande Utopia. Can you describe what the Diablos sound like?

Al

If you are feeling really nuts here is a great amp[s] and probably the last you would ever buy [ size permitting] and then pair them up with a used pair of Wilson Audio Sashas and I’m pretty sure you would be in undisputed heaven.

I almost bought these amps myself.

Just do not have the space for them right now.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-jeff-rowland-model-9t-2013-12-10-amplifiers-77084

@dave03hd ,

Very open, image well. Vocals are extremely realistic. Poor recordings sound badly and can be bright. Plenty of mid bass, but very low end not so much energy. Beautifully made too. Overall I am very happy I bought these speakers.

Al
If you are feeling really nuts here is a great amp[s] and probably the last you would ever buy [ size permitting] and then pair them up with a used pair of Wilson Audio Sashas and I'm pretty sure you would be in undisputed heaven.
I almost bought these amps myself.
Just do not have the space for them right now.
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-jeff-rowland-model-9t-2013-12-10-amplifiers-77084

When it comes to power amps I think I would go for the Lamm 2.2s with a speaker with a higher sensitivity (the smaller Cessaro horns perhaps). I have Champagne taste & a beer budget. Tonight I might have to win Powerball!