Magico Magic (and unrelated matters)

Chops, you started a virus, a good one I think.

1 Like

What? Am I making people sell their Magico’s and go with Klipsch? LOL

I tell you what, I am thoroughly pleased with these little Heresy III’s. They are one of the best, if not THE best sounding speakers I have ever owned. Especially when matched up with a couple of decent subs.

These are very efficient speakers, what made you decide to bi-amp them? Is it to drive the SubWoofer more dynamic separately and keep the amp output for the horn driven midths and hights clean?

For that reason I am interested in the Avantgarde Acoustic ZERO XD TA (Teil Aktiv, partly active), but adding an Amt to the bi-amp enabled Heresy’s, Forte‘s or Cornwells is another option. The classy wood veneer with lambswool screen is more to our taste. And best of the Forte’s, they have to be put close to the wall to make them sound best, which is exactly what I need.

Very curious how the BHK’s will compare to the REGA’s.

Please do keep us posted.

I trust you on your word Chops, the issue I have is that I would be looking to place them in my living room and the more separate boxes the lower the Women Acceptence Factor, and guess who’s the CFO in our house. :wink:

Hack, with the options you and Dirk proposed I could put my money in the speakers and initially operate them with my YAMAHA A/V Reciever in Stereo bi-amp mode. Hmmm, interesting thoughts.

Please, don’t ruin the Klipsch’s by powering them off of a receiver.

And WAF?.. Meh… I told my girlfriend from the very beginning how I am about my stereo equipment and music, so she knew not to complain about it. That’s been nearly 12 years now.

Well look at it that way, first you improve by getting better speakers than when you saved enough you improve a second time by new electronics (indeed no receiver, no more).

The living room where the Stereo resides is Family room. So WAF is important in my case.

Buy attractive powered speakers like the Dutch & Dutch and then you need much less gear. One of the EU reviewers got his best sound out of them by just hooking up a Lumin U1 Mini to them direct.

1 Like

I did consider that and am really attracted to your idea.

However two things:

1. I love to play vinyl and did learn to appreciate DSD
    2 @Baldy mentioned that the D&D unfold their real, beauty at higher volume levels

My 2 cents to above points:

1. Therefore I prefer an analog amplification chain. I am not too fussed about a DSP bass management, I thing that’s one of the ways to allow the speakers close to the wall.
  2. Most people like the Horn Speakers because of their detailed sound at low volumes and that’s how I prefer it, not saying that I like to rock but that’s during WOOH time, (Wife Out Of Home) or in my home office.

Do both of your systems have vinyl or just your Office? When I was looking at the Dutch & Dutch it was for the Family Room which is Digital only. I am using the Teac NT-505 in that system and it is a Streamer/DAC/Headphone unit with the ability to function as a preamp if needed. Another option which I have used is the Nuprime DAC-10 which is a full service Preamp/DAC with two analog inputs and SE and Balanced outputs. It can be ordered either with or without the headphone option.

Hey, Dirk! What a coincidence! My own Shahinians - after 30 years - have been placed off to the side while I break in my new Von Schweikert Endeavor SEs! It takes a long while for us Shahinianites to feel the need to try something else! Good luck!

1 Like

My system is also in the family room. It’s the first room you walk into as you walk into our house. But again, the system is somewhat small and tastefully done.

Oh yes it is, I like your system a lot. It’s just that my living room is different and isn’t really suitable to host extra subwoofers.

Plus they cost money.

That is correct, but so does the 2nd power amp to drive the woofers of the Klipsch Heresy’s so it could be a draw.
I have space for a single separate subwoofer in a really awkward position, corner outside of the left and right speakers.
So a separate subwoofer is not a good option.

Subwoofer position is not very critical except for cosmetic reasons. This setup has stereo subs to the left and right of their respective speakers but my other setup has one sub halfway along the left wall and both setups sound very good. The sub adds low frequency fill without making it’s (their) presence known if you get it(them) adjusted correctly.

Hi Baldy,

Now that you posted, thanks for the info, I am still curious about your D&D 8c’s:

1. Do you play analog with them, if I remember correctly you have them connected to a BHK PreAmp.
  2. When you said that they unfold their full beauty at higher volume, did adding the Sub resolve that?

@Rudolf_Appel

1. I do play analog signal to them. I recently did a test using AES/EBU from the Matrix converter and skipping both the DS DAC and BHK preamp but the 8c’s sounded better with both components in the signal path even though it is a double or triple conversion of the signal. The next software upgrade for the speakers should make them a Roon endpoint so then I will see how they sound fed a signal from the network only. That will be interesting.

2. Yes. Adding a pair of subs fixed all of the low volume low hz issues I was having along with better fill / more thunder at higher volumes. The 8c’s only have low level full range sub out signal so I used a pair of SVS 3000 subs that do not have speaker level inputs. They have a very nice bluetooth phone app so you can tune them dynamically from the listening position. They also have 3 presets you can have separate settings for different types of music.

I took @rower30’s advice and recently increased the low pass filter point and reduced the sub gain. Those adjustments helped the overall experience even more. SVS had suggested 45hz for the sub crossover due to the 8c’s low hz charted performance but I have them at 75hz now and it is definitely better. I may shift that low pass point up higher in the future.

1 Like

I wouldn’t exactly say that. Proper subwoofer position matters a lot. It’s just that a lot of us in the real world don’t have the luxury of placing them where they really need to be for optimal performance.

The Heresy III’s roll off around 50Hz in room where they are positioned in my room. I tried my subs at their lowest crossover point (60Hz), and there was just something missing. I started playing around with the crossover point and gain level, and I too am running right around 75Hz now and the gain a bit lower.

The way they integrated with the Heresy’s, you can not tell that there’s subs in the room, other than the fact there’s deep bass when it’s present in the music. But it sounds natural and sounds as if it’s coming from the Heresy’s.

1 Like

Thanks @Baldy and @Chops. This weekend at my Dad’s, I have listened to a recording taken in the Notre Dame: organ music with the 32 ft pipe played. 32 ft is about 17.5 Hz. Having that played without distortion, magnificent. But make sure everything in the room is properly secured and the vases are flat bottomed. These frequencies make everything loose dance to that frequency.

1 Like

Typically the 32 foot pipe is 16Hz. One feels this rather than hears it. It also supports the tones above it through harmonics reinforcement.

It takes a serious sub or truly full range speakers to even begin to reproduce this experience.

It is wonderfully fun your father’s system does this well. :slight_smile: