Mconnect HD, ios, bridge ii ethernet UPnP DLNA - will not play Tidal

Hello,
I currently use the Bridge II with my DirectStream DAC, using JRiver (PC) and JRemote (IOS) to listen from my local music library - JRiver finds the Bridge II as a UPnP DLNA device.

I want to stream Tidal and use an iOS app to control what I listen to - it seems that my only choice is to use the “MConnect” app which recognizes my Bridge II card as a UPnP DLNA device. JRiver will not stream Tidal (?)

I tried the free MConnect, but it could not find the UPnP DLNA devices (Bridge II), so I purchased the “mconnectHD” app for $5.99 and that did find the Bridge II (yay!).

I had to purchase the Tidal free trial to overcome message "requested quality is not allowed in user’s subscription".

I then tried several songs in MConnect and got message “Asset is not ready for playback” - which apparently means that the agreement between Tidal and the music licenser has expired. So, I cannot play these tracks at all.

I then found tracks that would play in MConnect and from Tidal to my local device, my iPad. I then tried to get these same tracks to play to the BridgeII ‘PlayTo’ device. I selected the track and pressed the ‘play’ icon - the album art and track title refresh, but the music does not start, and the progress bar does not move off ‘00:00’ - Any suggestions?

This app should work. ‎mconnect control on the App Store
It’s the app the folks that developed the Bridge. II made. It’s free and what folks use to stream Tidal if they don’t want to use Roon.

1 Like

Hi jamesh,
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am out of town, but will try it when I return. I will report back.

http://www.conversdigital.com/eng/product/product04.php#id_014

That page harshed my buzz. Sigh.

Just use Roon.

I have decided to try the Wiim mini WiiM Mini streaming D/A preamplifier | Stereophile.com . I plan to use the toslink output, which provides bit perfect output to my directstream Dac. At under hundred dollars I can always do something else if this does not work out.

I am also intrigued by the option to replace the 5V phone charger that powers the mini with either a linear power supply or a 5V battery charger. I think I will try the battery charger first. Does anyone have any recommendations or insights? Also does anyone have a feel for how long the battery charge might last if I unplug after use?

@jamesh i did try the mconnect app you linked me to, but it did not help. At least the MConnect HD version shows the bridge II as a ‘playto’ device under UPnP devices (sometimes - or I should say eventually - it took about 5 minutes!?). Flakey. The standard MConnect app did not show the bridge II at all.

As an experiment, I bought a Wiim Mini Streamer ($90). Ironically, this shows up as a UPnP device consistently. More on that streamer further in my thread.

The Wiim streamer works as advertised. Its toslink output is bit perfect up to 192kHz 24 bits, but the toslink input on the direct stream is limited to 96kHz 24 bits.

I tried Amazon Music and Tidal using the Wiim, and was able to stream ‘Ultra HD’ 44.1kHz 24 bits without issue.
Sound quality with CD quality streams was slightly inferior compared to my local CD quality sources through the bridge II, but Ultra HD was much closer and I would need to do more comparisons to establish the differences.
The Wiim also found my local library automatically, but will not play SACDs …

Ease of use is great with the Wiim, so for streaming internet sources, I plan to use it for now. MConnect to Bridge II has proven to be finnicky for me, and I could not get it to work.

I’ve had similar experiences with the Bridge II. Once it’s working well it’s great and sounds great, but it can be quite finicky. My guess is something is faulty with the Bridge if it’s not being seen. We can repair it for you whenever you’d like!

Make sure you are using/have tried this app:

It’s the only MC app. that works well with the Bridge II Ethernet Card in my experience.

BubbleUPnP

BubbleUPNP is a great piece of software, but (unless something has changed very recently) it is only for Android; the OP uses iOS.

2.4.62 is the version that I have on my iPad, and it works properly with Bridge II.

1 Like