New BHK 600?

Watch 'em bounce around… :grin:

1 Like

I’m very interested in how much “A” biasing this thing can stay in before dropping to A/B though. That may very well be its magic sauce.

2 Likes

I know the M1200 must of been inspired by the BHK with the addition of tubes and I believe the BHK 600 must of took some inspiration from the M1200 with its unlimited dynamics and headroom!

1 Like

My room acoustics are great at about 12 watts. It makes it easy to super tune for best sound. It is also nice reference to set max volume with preamp limits and not worry that kids in the house may send your amps into clipping. Yeah I am also spoiled by power guard protection in big McIntosh amps and not interested in having to source or repair hard to come by drivers.

I am also realistic about having Teenagers in the house who don’t listen or think they know it all and overdrive your system if you’re not there and were told not to touch anything.

1 Like

Absolutely…one of the major points that swung me over to my
new Parasound JC5…and am ever satisfied with it !!

Class A/AB first 12 watts class A then AB to 400 watts 8 ohms
bridgeable to 1200 watts!!

So you want meters on the mono amps so you can estimate best sound by looking for a display showing 12 Watts?

I am not arguing, and am not against meters, but this does not sound particularly useful - if I understand correctly. Do you play pink noise and set preamp levels looking at an amp’s meter for example?

I appreciate wanting to set set max volume with preamp limits. This is a nice, unrelated, preamp feature.

2 Likes

Yep…meters are just nice eye candy…I wonder where McIntosh would be
without the “blue meters” on their amps…

They are also nice when you know Class A to Class B transition and when to avoid it. It is as useful as a Tachometer to judge shifts. Of course one will argue seat of the pants driving or flying I am an expert and don’t need that. Altitude, air speed and g meter and horizon reference and Hud displays save pilots. Smart enough if use them and also know the flight envelope. That is the value of the meter but you still need to know the equipment limits in the environment operated.

1 Like

Edit: families with teenagers concerns may need to consider something that can be remotely monitored and controlled via mobile phone.

1 Like

The flight envelope on my JC5 is very very large…and while nice to know
when Class A shift over to AB takes place…it is so seamless you can’t
tell if it ever does happen with my JC5…and with my former A21 at 8 watts
Class A then AB up to it’s rated output…even going to 100 dbs transition
from A to AB so seamless from very quiet passages to the other extreme…
never any acoustical indicaton of having done so…great design Parasound!!

1 Like

I did like your analogy though… :+1:

So vat’s this with the handles on a 100 to 150 lb component? Do you want to be able to take it to your favorite luncheonette for lox and cream cheese on a bagel? :relaxed:

1 Like

I was hosting a music party and week before I noticed powe was down slightly on left amp. It was harf to notice by ear but metters were off more than I expected.

I instead of canceling i reran RoomPerfect DSP which fixed the imbalance between channels. The 1000 W amps had so much headroom only I knew things were not right. The poweguard warning lights on left amp at 1200WPC was only clue after DSP. When I took them in six months later teo drive transistors neede replaced. I was also able to describe problem to a Tee to the technician and had him ensure both amps drove identical loads exactly.

Ehe I reinstalled I had to redo DSP which was compensating for whar was the weaker amp. Ahsin thr power meters rolf the story.

When i run my Big Lovk offshore boat at WFO with setwhich is its name. I use trim guage and tach to get best speed or best cruise I also set ignition rev limiter baded on engine dyno. The GPS speed story.

Indicators in HiFi is just as useful

1 Like

Odd that there is a resemblance to the meters in the great Krell machine in Forbidden Planet…

3 Likes

Certainly you jest… :grin:

This is not answering the question, but avoiding it.

I have not asked generically why meters of any kind may be useful under any circumstances (yes, I am a pilot and am well aware of aircraft displays). I have also not asserted asserted meters are useless.

I am sorry my questions scare you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had you pegged as a lawyer. Interesting!

1 Like

It seems your tach just got pegged at red line…

What a crazy humerous fun forum this is… :innocent: :+1:

Your a good sport pal!

It is refreshing to see how folks can cut up have fun with each other and keep on trucking
er posting that is … :clap: :clap: :clap: :+1: :clap: :+1: :+1: :+1:

I provided several instances of how and when watt meters have been useful to me in monitoring system performance and also using them to optimize sound quickly with visual queues that reinforce the audio cues.

To me the use of multiple senses along with auditory help close on optimization and understanding the other relative cues of power and how to return to the optimized position since source levels vary and volume knob positions. Instant watts per channelis a good judge of room pressurization.

The allegory descriptions were merely reinforcement. But i have no interest in a speedracer type spat over it with you since your mind appears dead set against using them. Which is fine. We both can have our own preferences.