New Bridge II Update

I woke up this morning to discover that a new Bridge II update was available. I did the update and the version is 3.5.1. Anyone know this was coming or what’s in it?

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directstream-all-about-it/any-updates-on-the-tidal-mqa-16-192-issue/page-2/ ;

“ Just so everyone knows. I got this note from our Director of Engineering, Matt.
In production since yesterday and released publicly just now.
This fixes the following seen in previous release 3.4.5 of Bridge II code:
16/24 bit playback issue with MQA.
MQA ‘pops’.
Static noise from non-MQA to MQA content in Roon.
Green MQA letters showing up. (Should be Blue, or none, almost all of the time)
DSD spurious noise during playback for some
Volume change pops in Roon.
If you need help updating the Bridge you can follow these instructions. http://www.psaudio.com/ps_how/how-to-update-bridge-ii/

Nice. Thanks. I missed that.

wijber said

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directstream-all-about-it/any-updates-on-the-tidal-mqa-16-192-issue/page-2/ ;

“ Just so everyone knows. I got this note from our Director of Engineering, Matt.
In production since yesterday and released publicly just now.
This fixes the following seen in previous release 3.4.5 of Bridge II code:
16/24 bit playback issue with MQA.
MQA ‘pops’.
Static noise from non-MQA to MQA content in Roon.
Green MQA letters showing up. (Should be Blue, or none, almost all of the time)
DSD spurious noise during playback for some
Volume change pops in Roon.
If you need help updating the Bridge you can follow these instructions. http://www.psaudio.com/ps_how/…..bridge-ii/u

The link is a 404.

Thanks for the info - however I am dissapointed that PS AUDIO did not announce this on their site…

That’s odd, my Bridge screen says it is 3.4.5 and Up To Date, even after I forced it to check by power-cycling it. I tried twice - no update showing available.
Any ideas, or is there offline update SW?

Did the try checking the version using the “mcontrol” app on your iOS or Android device?

I didn’t see any such function in mConnectHD, but the fourth time I power-cycled it, it found the update, and all is well.

The only thing I did different was to remove the SD card on the fourth try, but there was nothing on it except the image cache.

Oh, well. Never trust a computer with your life…

pulling-hair_gifMy Bridge just won,t accept the update and now I can,t play to the Bridge as tracks jump incessantly, worked perfectly before tried to update. Have recycled about 4 times and now dac just says updating and has been like that for lazy 20 mins. Can anyone from PS Audio or any user give any suggestions

You could try the Direcstream Bridge Rescue software and a fresh update after the Bridge shows up:

Instructions for installing the Bridge Rescue for DirectStream DAC. Use this software if you have lost the Bridge or if there is a problem with the bridge you want to fix but cannot.

1. Get a 2 gig USB drive (must be 2 gig)
2. Format the USB stick FAT-16 (must be FAT-16).
3. Download the file from http://www.psaudio.com/downloads/
4. Unzip to FAT-16 formatted USB drive.
5. Power off DS DAC.
6. Insert USB stick into USB port on the bridge.
7. Power on DS DAC.
8. Wait at least 30 minutes.
9. Remove USB drive
10. Power cycle DS DAC.
11. Bridge should show up.

Ianmuir said

My Bridge just won,t accept the update…

Have you tried using the “mcontrol” app on an iPhone or android device to do the update?

And take the SD card out.

Mine saw the update in the LCD screen by just taking out the SD card. No need to use mConnect.

Thank you for passing this along. Once I also had trouble getting the bridge to acknowledge that there was an update. I never thought about pulling the SD card. It’s not at all clear why the presence of an SD card should matter, since all the card does is hold the cache for artwork. Maybe one of the PS audio tech guys can comment.

Weird, I know. I just pulled the SD card out at random, thinking perhaps if it looks at the card for firmware update, and doesn’t find one, it just gives up and doesn’t check for a bridge update.
Sure enough…

I was able to update my Bridge a couple of days ago using the MConnect app as suggested by others. Even had the SD card in place, though not sure if that is an issue using MConnect. One recommendation, when I tapped the update button I was listening through MConnect. The download started and the music kept playing. After it finished downloading (maybe a minute or so) I got a loud POP as the installation started. Ouch! No damage done and it wasn’t severe enough to send the amp into fail safe mode (which turning the DAC off at the rear WILL do) so lesson learned. Strongly recommend that you switch to another input after the download starts!

Good reminder. I also got a pop. It wasn’t that loud but still startled me a bit. I usually mute the preamp when upgrading but I got lazy.

I have upgraded to latest version via mcontrol app few hours ago.

It was not completely flawless as i could not see bridge in the DS touch panel input list after upgrade followed by automated reboot . The boot process was quite slow after the automated reboot. Then I power-cycled the DS, still could not see bridge on front panel but this time Roon and mconnect could see it, so hopefully all is OK now.

No functional issues spotted, seems all working OK (tested few local files and Tidal Masters (MQA).

I’ve upgraded to the latest bridge software on my DSJ and noticed a few issues when playing back dsf files over DLNA using the mcontrol app.

The first problem is that I hear a crackle when starting a new dsf file. When I stop playback, then go the playlist and select another dsf file from the album, the problem happens. I seem to be able to repeat the problem by repeating this sequence of steps each time I do it.

Furthermore, as it switches from one dsf file to another on the same album the crackle also sometimes happens

Lastly, sometimes when it starts playing a file it will play for about 5 or 10 seconds and then skip to the next song. I know that nothing is wrong with the file because I can go back to the queue, select the file to play and it will play all the way through.

Are these problems just my situation or does anyone else notice this?

Have a DSJr and updated the bridge with no issue.

I made the mistake of having the rest of my chain turned on still and when the DSJr restarted, a loud pop resulted.

Thankfully the speakers seem ok…