P20 & P15 Regenerator Performance Tweaks and Digital Stream Enhancements, plus BHK Preamp

I wasn’t sure how much the absorber was helping last night, I assumed most of the improvement was down to the new Purple fuses, but you’re right, it’s easy to remove the absorber to see what it does.

I didn’t really try it in different places, I assumed you had done all the hard work and had found the best position.

One query for you Vmax, when you place it under the lid, I assume there will be gaps on either side of the material, to the edges of the lid?.
Are you going to use some of the remainder to fill in these ‘side’ gaps?
I presume the material can be cut with a pair of scissors or a Stanley knife?

It will be interesting to see how the absorber material helps the home cinema side of things, should get to try that tonight.

I have enough in one long enough piece i could fit it so the side gaps are covered mostly. I can’t recall if Tested that way. I did test right left and centered on front edge of lid. The centered always won.

I used kitchen shears to trim mine. An exacto with straight edge should work better.

Let me know how it helps your home cinema. It truly transformed mine, voices, music, and sound effects.

As for the purple fuse’s they help but still sounds muddied and muffled recorded sound compared to plus absorber. Removing absorber with fuses in totally loses vibrancy and extra spatial information which adds realism as if you are there

I was able to find a eBay seller that offers 11.5x8 sheet of AB7050 for around $70 Per sheet. I clicked buy without even blinking. Some are selling thousands for 50 sheets. Maybe I can buy that later to use in my bedrooms to improve my health (not seriously thinking about that yet) :thinking:.

I think I only need a quarter of it to use under P15. I plan to use the leftovers for DS and BHK Pre by placing them under the transformers. They should make further improvements too, don’t you think?

1 Like

Well the P20 responds better to half coverage of the magnetic flux field of the transformer. You can have too much of a good thing I found if trying to ensure the whole footprint of the toroidal transformer is covered it starts sounding as no change or slightly muffled.

The DS DAC analog board output transformers sound good wrapped with thinner absorber. The main transformer of the DS DAC I erected a vertical wall that extends about to the middle of the main power transformer. However I likely just lucked out in its placement trying to shield the analog board from the display.

Looking at Lenz law and right hand rule for EMF might explain how the absorber works best on EMF off the toroidal transformer. Note the following physics lesson. It all depends on direction it is wound where is best for placement.

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/boundless-physics/chapter/magnetic-flux-induction-and-faradays-law/

2 Likes

I also tried it on my monoblocks transformers but had no luck influencing the sound. It is a bit of hit or miss and my first partial success on P20 led to an optimization by trial and error.

1 Like

You really know your stuff and I’m so glad I learn a lot from you! I’m ashamed to say I have a Civil Engineering background and I know NOTHING about or don’t remember anything from the EE stuff I learnt 40 years ago. I was a manager for building roads and laying pipelines, nothing related to EE. I need to find my old text books to relearn again now I have spare time.

I have a ME degree not EE. I have forgot more than I learned in physics. But have been fortunate to participate in EMI and EMC testing and deal with brilliant engineers at work and in the supply base. I am just inquisitive and good at asking questions to the gray beard and sandals crowd. Lol

Do you think there would be any benefit to placing the AB7050 sheets externally to the DS DAC?

Way back when I stripped one of the screws trying to remove the bottom of the DS DAC to replace the stock fuse with an aftermarket one. So I’m confined to outside of the unit. If you think there might be some benefit to doing so do you have any insight to where to place the sheet?

This has been a fascinating thread and I just want to thank you for your guidance.

1 Like

It may help. Over the digital mezzanine card covering output transformers back where all the digital inputs come in. Also by the display and main transformer you should be able to find its center screw and play halfway locations.

It really is trial and error and playing same snippets of music until you note a change better or worse.

2 Likes

Thank you. Something to try out after I get the sheets.

1 Like

Please share your experience. My hunch is you should notice something. The Regenerator seems to be the sweet spot since it touches power to a whole system that is interconnected. But the more you play in audio, you find out every little bit that is better matters.

2 Likes

@sheridd2 My remaining piece is 8.5 inches in length and 7 3/4 one side and 8 the other. The narrower 7 3/4 is most vibrant, and strongest live tonality, the 8 inch is a pretty good balance a little more bass, at 8 1/2 inch width the bass very strong but the tonality goes down and a lot of the live in the room decreases

Therefore I would not recommend filling out the edges since things will really go muddy. I need to decide whether to go middle of the road or all in for guitar tone, and sharper percussion.

1 Like

@sheridd2 7 3/4 inch wide is the clear winner centered over the P20 display with the best balance and soundstage holographic sound, tone and openness mine tapers up to 8 inches wide. This will be what I trial under the P20 lid. 8 inch wide is a bit too sharp edge.

Edit: on second thought back to 8 inches. Wide over the display I can’t live without the tone and magic it brings. You start second guessing yourself i will stick with the 8 inch wide sheet after all. I keep getting dragged back It is insane how tuneable this absorber is.

3 Likes

Okay, I ordered a sheet from Digikey. Can you give me a link to you post about correct positioning and size of the sheet. My P20 is not coming out of my rack. I plan to just lay the correct sized sheet on top of the P20. I am not worried about heat as I am current running less than 300 watts through it. I may try plugging my amps back into it which would increase the load about 800 watts.

Thank you!!!

Edit: Okay I read the entire thread again. so a piece 8.5 wide and 4.75 deep centered over the display is the magical solution?

1 Like

I found 8 inch wide centered over midpoint by 4.75 inch from front edge flush to give the most spatial details and live sound. The percussion, guitar tone and vocal nuances are quite up lifting. It is like placing the Dragon HDMI into overdrive. If you want more bass and less sparkles the 8.5 inch wide.

I am going to try a 8.25 width tomorrow

4 Likes

So maybe make smaller pieces so you can tune the width to each song? :wink:

3 Likes

What you want is some kind of elastic material, that you can hook up to an Alexa enabled robotic arm and command it to change size depending on the track you are playing.

1 Like

I was thinking headband under the tin foil hat to further disrupt spurious non musical waves. Lol.

I know somewhere there needs to be a limit to the optimization and finally stick it under the lid. If my P20 were in a rack i would not bother hiding it either.since most of the lid is wood heat will be no issue.

You should definitely plug the gryphon into the P20. I am down right curious if this 80 dollar piece of sheet, can improve your stealth cables class A amp and the way the chicks dig your ice cream cones. Thanks for trying the latest kool aid flavor.

2 Likes

Actually it makes a poor equalizer. Since it. Addresses noise floor it only increases clarity. Ai was streaming last night and a poor live version of Janis Joplin singing Bobby McGee came on. I was actually quite enthralled being able to hear all the nuances in her voice and it did make a poor recording sound listenable by giving details previously mangled in her screeching.

I had to pull off the absorber and yes screeching returned. So it passes the bad music test for listenability.

2 Likes

Tried the absorber with my home cinema last night briefly last night, around an hour.
I’ve turned it over each night to ‘hide’ the adhesive cover so I may not have had it in the same place it worked to well with the stereo.
I didn’t find that much improvement using the absorber.
I did notice I was getting more treble information through and had to turn the treble down slightly so something was happening.
I’m planning on Friday for a system strip down and install the absorber underneath the lid.
I should have the house to myself on Friday so gives me plenty of time.