P20 & P15 Regenerator Performance Tweaks and Digital Stream Enhancements, plus BHK Preamp

@aangen,Yeah the Furutech with swappable parts for height. Very functional. The germans more utilitarian but still adjustable.

I always wanted to try these. But instead spent my money on fuses. Perhaps my priorities need to center on looks.

https://www.in-akustik.de/en/cables-and-accessories/speaker-cable/accessories/reference-cable-base-00719223-ls/?no_cache=1&cHash=1d813cb6a390734f1a1fd2630eeb980e

The Inakustik would be fine for speaker cables and floor running power cables. But where the plug jams into the equipment the Furutech would allow some force. You could still use Sorbothane.

Wait, the Furutech I am interested in cost $376.99. F that. Iā€™m buying fuses instead.
Right now I am using Thoughts & Prayers to keep my power cables happy.

3 Likes

Exactly why I picked a .76 cent rebar chair and 6 dollar piece of sorbothane. Leaves me more fuse money!.

Meanwhile back at M-1 Fuse burn in running two M-1 now it went far leaner last night. Looked at tuning ring rebar/chair Sorbothane wedge moved 1/8ā€ closer to IEC on the Dragon cable feeding P20 Back to perfect balance. Got to love the tuning ring system flexibility.

1 Like

My wine cork supports cost nothing. I found the corks from cheap and young wines work a lot better than older and aged ones. The aged corks are fragile and smelly.

If I remember right, your 2nd M-1 is in LPS for streamer (router?). Have you tried it in preamp yet to see if it works even better?

@dchang05 My McIntosh Preamp has no external fuses and my McIntosh amps have resetable breakers plus a host of other power sentry functions to prevent failures from sending DC to speakers if they develop or encounter shorts. .

After 6 days of burn in I will send second M-1 to the HDPLEX300 LPS that powers four DC sources DS Dac analog board, UltraRendu, Matrix, and SGC i5 NAS that hosts and controls Roon . Then try purple and stock fuse back in the router, LPS again.

2 Likes

My M1200s do not use fuses, but PST, DS, and BHK Pre all use fuses. Potentially I could use more M-1. With two in the system now, the accumulated SQ improvement is less than one M-1 in P15 alone. It is questionable how much additional M-1 will contribute. It is also questionable that three or more M-1 would sound better than combination of M-1s plus Purples.

Later I will listen to the system with the additional cork/sorbothane add-ons. But I always have cork supports and ceramic elevators in the system. So, I may not hear much improvement at all.

1 Like

Eager to hear about whether the sorbothane ceramic cord supports beats cork.

I will be taking the purple fuse out of the HDPLEX300 when the second M-1 goes there. The leaning out I was hearing last night having two M-1s had me wondering if more is better Luckily tuning ring helped me bring it back. That might not stay since I expect 2nd M-1 will come back in bass more defined today or tomorrow given first M-1 fuse break in performance.

1 Like

Regarding the Furutech Booster, their effect is not subtle.
You need the right mix because if there is too much it makes the sound ā€œskinnyā€. There is no meat around the bone.
But one, two or more according to taste brings a little more by making the system more ā€œsilentā€: the blacks are blacker.
In my system I use 2 one for a mains cable the other for the modulation cables.

1 Like

That is an interesting point. Maybe that is why things got skinnier when I added my homemade cable booster and the second M-1 was breaking in.

Open your champagne, chianti, Cab, or whatever that has a cork, and save those corks!

I removed all my cork supports under PC plugs and the sorbothane feet under the elevators, and I got an instant SQ downgrade of my system. The soundstage collapsed, and the music is playing through a veil.

When I put all the corks back, the soundstage was back, and the veil was gone. Everything is better! If corks work, the soborthane will work surely! I found the corks do not alter sound in anyway, they just helped in cleaning everything up. But there is still something missing a bit. Then, I added all the soborthane feet back below the ceramic elevators. Holy cow! There was another veil removed. Compared to the before and after, the big SQ improvement in my system was the layers of music notes from different instruments showed up after corks/soborthane feet addition, and I am sure they were there, but now they draw my attention even at lower volume (daughter is home working remotely).

The interesting thing is when I first placed the cable elevators a while back, I did not notice much difference, but adding these sorbothane feet under them, there is a clear improvement this time.

Another critical point, I found the Dragon HC feeding the generator has the biggest effect among all. I added a double cork under the plug (a new installation) and moved the elevator with the soborthane foot closer to the female plug right against the tuning ring. This has had the most SQ improvement than any other location.

So, @vmax has another winning tweak that I will keep in the system permanently. Thanks again!

1 Like

The Furutech Booster are built with their material which generates negative ions.
I think thatā€™s what explains the ā€œsilenceā€ and in case of abuse the ā€œskinnyā€ sound.
But I may be wrong because I havenā€™t tried corksā€¦
That gives me an excuse to uncork a good bottle: preferably a ChĆ¢teau Margaux.

3 Likes

Interesting my 2 M1s with a Purple in my preamp also went
lean for a brief period after which well mama mia molto buono
siā€¦so perhaps there is more in the cooking time needed for full
settling of these fuse charactersā€¦

Happy journey
Best wishes

2 Likes

Yes i think it was fuse burn in character. I will likely be moving tuning ring back to where it was.

Thanks for readily trying my tweak theories. It is good to get some reaffirming comments. The sweet spot to prop up Dragon is where the tuning rings like. I canā€™t promise to keep discovering these foundational advances in sound quality. They seem to become easier to sort out now than prior. Maybe I became better at listening. Or its just my system keeps climbing up the performance ladder. Letā€™s hope the advanced stick when yo can play again at reference volume. My amp power cords go from P20 on Sorbothane straight into the amps on same sorbothane. No propping up necessary. Perhaps there is no need to tweak Dac and Preamp cables if regenerator responds best. Or until I get bored and see what else is possible to tweak. Wine and late night listening seems to be a common thread to tweak and make discoveries for me.

The generator is the best place for your tweaks, and it makes sense too.

A real surprise is how the soborthane footer under ceramic elevator could ever improve sound, but it did. So, it is very possible the soborthane support at the plug is more effective than wine cork. I need to find more synthetic corks to try out. The problem is you do not know if the cork is synthetic until you uncork it. They typically come with cheap wine that we could only drink so much. :blush:

Just put an Orea Isoacoustics under the Dragon IEC plug of the P20 (and 3 thin foils of wood to adjust the high).

Iā€™m curious.

Iā€™m listening to Blak and Blu album of Gary Clark Jr (thanks to @vkennedy61) and instantly changed the soundstage and voices. Mmm

3 Likes

How are you liking Gary Clark. You can tell me the truth, music is very subjective.

1 Like

I love his guitar mood! Thank you so much for your advise. The funk side more than the blues side. Even if Iā€™m a 70ā€™s rock guy and the soul songs are too far from my habits.

2 Likes

I tried also to put the Orea Bronze with the Furutech elevator together but there is not enough roomā€¦

1 Like