P20 & P15 Regenerator Performance Tweaks and Digital Stream Enhancements, plus BHK Preamp

I don’t think placement top or bottom of sorbothane is key. What is key is same dampening material under Regenerator and also under the cord.then preloading force on cord upward to properly operate in the materials operating spec for weight. If you had still point bearing under regenerator use still point on cord

Otherwise different isolators they will likely resonate at different frequencies. You don’t want to be damping through the IEC conductor prongs.

1 Like

This tweak seems to provide something cleaner to music, thank you Vmax! A veil really gone away, especially listening to voices.
Too late here to continue… and tomorrow morning I have to wake up early. Sorry!

I certainly want to investigate more.

2 Likes

Love to hear your findings. Again, we have similar systems :grin:

2 Likes

That it is what I heard initially is voices. But everything else follows for me in instruments and just background noises.

1 Like

Now you have your priorities straightened out!

Cheers!

1 Like

Somehow, I understand what you’re saying completely, or I think.

Its the cursed engineer brains. Always working a trade study optimization in Physics

1 Like

This is getting to be a bit inane (at least that is what the left side of my brain is whispering at the moment). I have a few spare Isoacoustics Oreas (don’t recall the model). Now I am going to have to swap them in for my other props (see pictures earlier in this thread) and crane my auditory receptors to see if the corks pop to a whole 'nother level.

:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I’m just following the Tweaks Ambassador Vmax, using the Orea (Bordeaux) under P20 I gave a try to the Orea (Bronze) under the cord’s IEC plug.
Am really surprised to hear a difference but this is what my ears are saying. No corks, no wines. So I suppose I’m still sober and lucid, even if easily suggestible.

3 Likes

I’d say looking at the website for Iso acoustics you did a good job matching weight loading betwee the bordeaux and bronze consistent with 70 durometer sorbothane.

I assume 4 bordeaux up to 32 lbs each isolator under a 96 lb P20 and one bonze upbto 8lb under the Dragon . You are in the sweet spot of sorbothane vibration damping.

1 Like

Yes exactly!

Looking to swap the “wooden” blocks for the IsoAcoustics OREAs in this use case:

My DMP and DS Sr. rest on PS Audio PW PowerBases, so there is no matching Oreas to Oreas in my case.

I doubt there will be a discernible change if I can pull of the new configuration, but I’ll keep my ears (and mind) open.

Cheers.

1 Like

I’d put my power block on sorbothane and its input cord under sorbothane at IEC. Not being a regenerator it might not help. The other peripheral devices in the chain I have not tested for additional additive effects of this tweak.

You mean the PowerBases…put those on Oreas or sorbothane…?

The PowerBases are pretty heavy and their feet are made of sorbothane.

From the linked to manual: “The Sorbothane feet on the PowerBase are adjustable by screwing them in or out to make them longer or shorter.”

So, I am half way there!

Thanks, “V”.

Oh. i thought power base was a system power distribution. But yeah only thing you need is some sorbathane under plug to rack.

Awaiting second and third M-1 to explore what happens with more of them in analog rig (BHK Pre + SPP), after more hours listening to music I can definitely declare the Orea/Dragon/P20 plug tweaking a keeper.

Thank you Vmax, another precious advise!

Not only voices are more vibrant, clear, vivid, palpable now a general balanced feeling is evident with instrument separation, openness and airy soundstage. Also the bass seems to be right, present but not so prevalent as before. In general the sound became less laid back, more realistic and natural, more alive and really really pleasant.

Just putting a piece of metal/rubber under a plug? If I didn’t try I never thought it possible! How many things I can discover and learn from you guys! Thank you.

Listening to Supertramp, Tracy Chapman and Jayhawks is so engaging…

Other possible con-causes of all these improvements may be the incremental burning in of:
Dragon XLR cables from DAC to BHK Pre (100-150 hours)
NOS Telefunken/Mazda tubes in M1200s (150-200 hours)
M-1 fuse in P20 (200 hours)

1 Like

Luca,

You described to a tee what I have been hearing with the vibration isolation tweak. It is definitely more alive. I found if your Dragon has the 3M AB7050HF tuning ring tweak in my Cable Sutra thread you can move it a feww fractions of inch or mm to warm it upand give it a bit more PRAT and more bass. It really turned my system into an imaging monster even at low levels.

I did some Roon Radio last night. I got Goosebumps from Supertramp recordings and the depth and holographic presentation. Something I did not seek out but surprised me. The present bass but not overpowering at times is right on. However you have to push volume to level I was used to listening at. The noise floor is throwing me off it is so low. Everything jumps out.

I was thinking of rerunning my RoomPerfect DSP to see what that does relative to bass. First though I will shut it all off to see if it is even needed now with improvements in noise floor.

I had to mod my rebar chair holding sorbothane. It slipped and unplugged dragon in a spirited listening. So iadjusted it for less upward prelad with some plastic trimming and cross bolt to hold sorbathane in place. Sound was not changed. The unplugging gave the P-20 a fit and caused it to hang on powerup then a series of shut downs un commanded. . Had to do hard rest and blue front button. Even went back to a purple in theP-20. But back to M-1 and all was well. Thought I had a bad M-1 at first with start up hanging. But the front panel switch was cure to its ills. Then played music until 3AM.

This is a cool place to hang out. My system does things I never thought were possible. Hang here and lots rubs off that is good. Next moving my Second M-1 by replacing a different purple.

1 Like

Vmax I’m still waiting to adopt the absorber tweak I’ve read several times on the forum, both on P20 and as tuning ring on Dragon.

Mainly because I still haven’t found the right model on a web site seller able to ship it to Italy and second because I was already introducing a few “things” in my system during last weeks, so I thought I needed before a period to become more familiar with them.

I consider absorber tweaks one of my next steps for sure, I really trust in you and in your effort.

PS: I can confirm the temptation to listen to a higher volume, my usual level 32 went to 34 without fatigue, background noise or over bright consequences, pushing out more details and joy!

1 Like

Supertramp “Breakfast in America” SHM-SACD never sounded better in my system. My P15 sits on top of a 1.5" maple block, but underneath is supported by 6 sorbothane feet. So, I removed the corks and moved the ceramic/sorbothane elevator feet to 5" away from the plug, next to the tuning ring. I got even better SQ from last night.

Thanks @vmax to keep pushing our system to the next level! :grin:

1 Like

If you have purple fuse, I love to hear what you think with three M-1 in comparison to 2 M-1 plus Purple (what I have now).

Your evaluation would help me the most for obvious reason :smiley:

2 Likes