Power Plant 15 and A Puritan 156 conditioner

The output sockets in the video are Schuko like we have in Europe. The appropriate ones should be installed for US plugs or other countries. A Furutech Rhodium NCF is very nice. The FI-33 NCF C19 20 A input should fit with small modifikation s also a good upgrade on its own as the current for all connected components comes in there.
I have the Furutech FI 33 NCF in my mono amplifier with good results

3 Likes

Whated to check min with you on this buzz. I have an email in to my dealer (Jaguar Audio) to see what he can do for me. It clearly the load from the Pass Labs amps becuase it stops buzzing as soon as I power the amps off.

I really dont want to get rid of the Puritan and wondering if the 12 outlet version would buzz as well. Im going to ask them for a sweeheart deal on the 12 outlet if they think that would fix the issue.

Thoughts?

1 Like

There’s nothing they can do is my experience.

Edit: live with the buzz or get your money back is my opinion.

2 Likes

I replaced all the outputs (inlet) of the PSM156 with Furutech NCF and couldn’t be happier.
However, these outlets do not help against buzz.

Regarding the buzz associated with the load presented by your Pass Labs amplifiers, I’d say the two components are incompatible and it would be best to return the unit.

It seems I can simply replace the inlet with a Furutech NCF inlet for US plug, right? That way I can use a nice-fat cord instead of their Classic Plus cord.

It could be that the inlet has slightly different dimensions. I had to make the opening of my amplifier a little larger. The Outlet seems like similar.

1 Like

Oh, that will not work for PSM-156 if the dimensions are different. Thanks for the information.

1 Like

Im going to see what they say. More than likely I would keep the box and just power the amps with another solution. The Puritan does amazing things for the DAC, Transport and Preamp.

1 Like

Those were also my thoughts.
But I connected everything to the Puritan with a result I never had before.
Pre and power amp are connected to the Puritan.
However, I have connected all chassis to the Puritan via a star ground.
After reconnecting, give the set time to settle down again.
Call me crazy but it works!

1 Like

So return the Pass Labs Amplifiers?

4 Likes

Siwwi wabbitt :flushed:

2 Likes

Well keeping the PSM-156 seemed the obvious choice!

3 Likes

That’s an option…

3 Likes

I was a long time user of the P20 in a mastering room with both analog (tube and SS) and digital components. I use a Mola Mola Tambaqui and a Lavry DA924 as my transfer DACs and an Ayre QA-8 ADC as the transfer ADC (and Lavry Quintessence as my monitor DAC), then a buddy lent me his Puritan PSM1512 and suddenly the clarity and resolve of my transfer chain improved dramatically.

My amplifiers are ATC Triamps feeding SCM110s and were also plugged into the Puritan without any buzzing or sub bass choking. I did about 300 masters without the P20 (after 5000+ with it) and my work undeniably improved as a result. Better separation, clarity and dimension is all axis, the sum total of which made everything sound bigger without a volume change.

I was about to sell the P20, but before I did I decided to try the P20 first in the chain, directly plugged into a 20amp home run back to the breaker, with the two PSM1512s plugged into the high power outputs on the P20. The result was stunning in my room. The tonality in the midrange filled out, creating a more forward recreation out of the ATCs. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing so I went back to everything plugged into just the Puritans and transferred a master, then everything plugged into just P20 and transferred the same master, then the combo Puritans + P20 and transferred the same master. Loaded all the 96k24 files into Audirvana feeding a Mutec MC3+ USB, then Quintessence DAC to the ATCs and confirmed that the combo Puritan+P20 has yielded the best transfer quality my room has experienced (with over 25,000 masters to date).

Why is this happening? I am not a technical person, but to my ear the Puritan is amazing at isolating the detrimental interactions between components, resulting in a very pure performance from each component. The P20 does not do the component isolation, but instead it isolates you from the grid, assuming your ground is discrete and starred which is essential for mastering work. Also the P20 keeps your voltage a pure 60hz sine wave at a steady 120v. The multi-wave tends to bloat my tube EQ and compressor too much so I stick to pure sine wave for the most natural response. Also 122v sounds too urgent, and 118v sounds too jumpy, so there is something important about maintaining a steady 120v, at least in a mastering context.

If you currently have a P20 and are considering replacing it with a Puritan, I recommend trying them both out in your room.

12 Likes

Welcome, Robb!

1 Like

I had a delightful conversation with Mike Lester at Axpona during which he described the function and virtues of his PSM156 “Mains Purifier”.
I asked him how it is differentiated from a regenerator and he explained how a regenerator works.
I asked him if we want his 156 in addition to or in lieu of a regen. His reply was “certainly not. If you have a regenerator, continue to enjoy it. The 156 is not a competitor or replacement for a regen.”
What a refreshingly honest guy.

12 Likes

I assumed it was either / or but I was clearly wrong. My other assumption was that you needed to spread the load across as many of the P20 outputs as possible. That also proved wrong.

I am not sure what is different about P20’s high power outputs compared to the others (?), but using them to feed 2 PSM1512s (one for digital, one for analog including the mono blocks) resulted in no apparent congestion, choking, or rounding of the response. The stage remained open and deep and transients hit hard and clear.

Ive tried a lot of boxes over the last 30 years as a pro ME (including Equitech, Furmann and Torus balanced power, and many random hifi conditioners) but nothing has been able to deliver this type of performance across such a variety of devices; digital, analog, high draw, low draw, linear PSU, switching PSU, vintage or modern etc.

btw before the P20 the facility used a 30amp Eaton double conversion online UPS which created a clean sine wave with plenty of amp headroom, but it could not compete with the P20 in terms of midrange quality. The Eaton and Liebert PSUs are great at lowering line noise, but they sound sterile in the mids IMO.

5 Likes

The high current outlets have a thermistor to minimize inrush current. You would be better off using the regular outlets.

3 Likes

Thanks. I will explore the regular outlets feeding the PSMs today. They can handle high amperage no problem?