Power Plant P3 Firmware Update

Today I noticed this firmware update for the P3. I’d also like to know its purpose, and, am I going to brick my P3 if I try to install it??

Let me get someone to help because I don’t remember and it’s Sunday. :)

Version 15 updates the oscillator code abd fixes a few bugs on thew web page. It will not brick your P3.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. I’ll give it a go.

Tried loading the version p3.15 firmware. Nothing happened (by the way, updated the DS to Pike with zero issues). Put the files (unzipped - all 6 files) on a usb drive. Inserted the usb drive (while the unit was off - Switch on the back). Then powered on (switch on the back): nothing but the unit turning on as usual. Pointing to the P3's IP address shows me the unit's home page but there are no firmware version numbers listed so I can't tell anything about what firmware version is installed. My P3 info is below. Did the P3 come with .15 already installed?

Thanks!

Serial #P3-A0-2I081684

Purchase Date: November 28, 2012

Bump!! Anyone know?

@amsco15 if you access the P3 via PowerPlay the firmware version is mentioned on the landing page after you hit the “command center” button (together with other parameters such as local IP, WAN IP etc).

About updating the firmware. I think there was an intention at some point for updates to be done over the network, because the owners manual infers that. But there are a few things in that owners manual that don’t quite fit with reality, and no mention how to update the firmware via USB. I think they had bigger plans for P3 in the early days than what we ended up with today.

Perhaps somebody who has succeeded in updating the P3 firmware can post a step-by-step guide how to do it. Or maybe PS Audio can add a text file to the P3 USB install download folder explaining what to do, and what bugs were fixed, or what new features were added.

I just tried to update the firmware to 00.15 on my P3 via USB.

1. I copied the files to the USB stick,

2. inserted USB stick in the P3.

3. Powered off P3 (using main power switch on back).

4. Powered on P3. Display shows Ini P3 for a few seconds and then goes blank.

5. waited.

6. Turned on P3 using front power button

7. P3 web page still shows 00.13 firmware.

So this process does not work.

Update apparently failed here also, as the P3 web page shows version 0.10 (Serial #P3-A0-2E075054). I tried formatting the USB stick FAT, FAT32 and exFat.

I just noticed the USB stick hanging off the back of my P3 is blinking like crazy, which I assume means there is communication going on between them. There is no update underway, it just strikes me as being unusual. If the same USB stick was plugged into my MacBook Air it would not be blinking, unless the MacBook Air was writing a file to/from it.

Did you unzip the zip file to the USB stick?

Dennis

Try this one: http://updates.psaudio.com/powerplant3/11-065-01-X-FMC-15-9999.zip

Unzip it the a USB stick. This should fix you up.

Dennis

I unzipped mine (6 files) into the root, with no folders and also noticed the blinking USB stick, so I left it in for 5 hours with no update.

bv1pacb said I unzipped mine (6 files) into the root, with no folders and also noticed the blinking USB stick, so I left it in for 5 hours with no update.
Try the one I just posted the link to. It should fix you up.

Dennis

brodricj said @amsco15 if you access the P3 via PowerPlay the firmware version is mentioned on the landing page after you hit the "command center" button (together with other parameters such as local IP, WAN IP etc
Thanks, never knew or cared about PowerPlay. Now I know. Seems like the firmware version should be on the P3 home page. Looks like I have .12. I'll have to try the new files later this afternoon. Thanks, Dennis!

Latest files posted by Dennis (link above) worked great. Like to say I hear God in my stereo now but alas, it sounds the same as before (good but God is illusive). Like to keep everything up to date though!! Thanks to all who helped!!

I am glad to hear that. I think this is because of a bug in the bootloader, that we have since fixed. But we have not done a Bootloader upgrade for the P3, only the NPC.

Dennis

Yep, worked for me. Point to note, at the end of the process if you check the firmware status via the powerplay command login give it a few minutes to refresh and you should eventually see the updated firmware 0.00.15. Thanks Dennis.

What is still not working in the .15 is the Host Name for local access to the internal webpages. Means you need to know the local IP of the P3 to access the internal web pages. Far more convenient just to type http://(whatever the host name is).local to access the internal web pages. This feature is not working.

Is anybody having issues with their P3 since updating to 0.15 firmware? My P3 is shutting down 2 or 3 times per day and then rebooting, for no reason, since updating to 0.15

Not me. I’ve used my P3 with the 0.15 update now for two weekend-long listening sessions without any issues. I’ll post here if that changes.