Problem with Bridge II in DirectStream

Hi - I have a new DirectStream with the Bridge II installed. For the first few weeks, the bridge worked just fine, but all of a sudden today it does not show up as a source option. I’ve tried pulling it out to re-seat it but still does not appear (it will also no longer light up the port when connected to my network). Everything else on the DAC works just fine.

Any troubleshooting ideas? I’m not sure if I can re-install the DAC’s firmware (or if there is firmware to re-load for the Bridge II).

Thanks.

Re-boot the network chain all the way back to the router including turning off the DS by the rear switch and then turn it back on in order with the DS last.

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestion. Turning everything off and restarting was one of the first things I tried. I also completely pulled out the bridge, let the unit power back on, unplugged and re-installed the Bridge; it still did not come back online.

I had this happen and could not resolve it with standard troubleshooting techniques. I ended up have to load the Bridge II rescue software to fix it. https://www.psaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/DirectStream-Bridge-rescue-files.zip

You may also be able to flash the firmware to Yale or some early iteration, then reload Redcloud. Sucks to have to go through these types of measures, but it is what it is and getting it back operational is priority one.

My assumption is, it’s either a personal network issue or it can be solved with the latest (currently pulled back)Bridge Firmware. It solves a quite some stuff in case you can pass on cover art and support will provide it to you.

But probably best is to wait for the Bridge update these days.

Which begs the question; how is the update coming, will we see it soon?

Hi antherment,

Sorry to hear that your Bridge II is not showing up as an input.
Please reach out to us at service@psaudio.com and provide the Bridge II’s serial number.
We’ll get you service.
Thanks,

• Jeremy

Is the software version changed in 0.0.0 that happend to me a few days ago. I didn’t see my bridge 2, looked at the software version of the bridge and 0.0.0 was on the screen. I downloaded software version 3.5.1 into the bridge and everything worked as it should be. Don’t know why the bridge software disappeared???

Ronald

Last info from PS folks today in another thread was, it can take more days or weeks.

I had the same problem. Bridge II worked intermittently for a couple of months then disappeared. I tried pulling all power out, reconnecting, etc. My DSD still says, “Bridge: None”. Very frustrating.

Mine has been broken since Christmas.

The lights are flashing on the ethernet port of the Bridge and of the router where the Bridge-linked ethernet cable is connected. The Bridge is not accessible as an input. I cannot get to the screen to see that DCHP is on (I assume it is). I have power cycled the entire system including all nodes (PC, router, Bridge II, etc) repeatedly, including re-pairing the powerline adaptors (which are still working for other items).

Can you contact PS Audio service so we can get this fixed for you?

Same here. Bridge worked for about a year then disappeared with the dreaded, “Bridge None”. I have updated Directstream to Windom. Still no bridge. Not a fan of this product. I would suggest nobody else falls into the trap of buying one. If you search the forums you will find many people who have lost their Bridge and PSAudio can’t provide any support other than raise an RMA and send it back!

Just to provide a counter point, I have been a happy user of Bridge II since the day it came out. Thousands of hours?? I use it with JRiver exclusively. There was a learning curve and I had to work out several network issues. Once the network issues were worked out, it has been rock solid 100% of the time. I wish you luck getting the issues resolved.

I will agree that it is quite annoying that we aren’t able to do anything in the field to solve the problem, but our tech guys are able to get them running pretty quickly and sent back. As amsco mentioned, they generally are rock solid for a long time.

How about developing a diagnostic of some kind that could be run from the Direcstream itself or from an attached device? It would be like having a technician in the field instead of asking users themselves to troubleshoot. I have to say that given the premium audio quality and price of this equipment it’s not my expectation that I should spend hours on my hands and knees booting, rebooting, installing firmware, re-installing firmware, rebooting, etc, etc. Reminds me of the Windows 3.1 days! I have spent too much time futzing with this card already. Also, if there are so many that have been rock solid for a long time then you might consider a recall on the ones that aren’t. Do you know their serial numbers? There might be a pattern in terms of production that explains why there are some flaky ones. I have a lot of goodwill for you guys having started with your DL3 DAC decades ago but my patience is beginning to wear thin. I don’t have the time to spend troubleshooting this amongst all the other stresses in my life. Listening to music is one of the ways I try to escape and unwind. Other people may enjoy hunting for the solutions but I’m just not in that headspace. I’d like the thing to work or it to be integrated into every system from the get go without the headaches.