Prog Rock fans

1 Like

My soundtrack on the MTB track earlier today!

2 Likes

No new prog as of late although I’ve been playing the bajeezuz out of Professor Tip Top and Crown Lands. Greta Van Fleet’s new track sounds good too.

But on the non prog side - I’m stretching the assumption that prog heads appreciate talent so:
Mike Dawes - insanely talented guy. I’d love to see this guy live. Like Michael Hedges without the barefeet & hippy foil hat. (Don’t get me wrong - I love Michael Hedges.)

In the same ridiculous level-up talent is the unique picking style of Matteo Mancuso - (plenty of jaw dropping videos of him) I’ve been stuck-on-repeat spinning the new Drift Lab album. Jazz/Rock Fusion I’d call it? The supremely noticeable presence of bass guitar Federico Malaman is delightfully amazing.

Good stuff! I eagerly await a concert dvd!

2 Likes

Thanks! Michael Hedges left us too early :frowning:

Day ended yesterday with Wakeman’s Journey and started with Arthur. Deep prog.

1 Like

For us impure heathens who use an equalizer - this is the ONLY way to EQ.
Slicker than - well, you know what…

I’ll check it out.

Listening to Wakeman’s re-recording of Journey. Interesting.

Frost on my earphones!

Mistery dropped a new album yesterday!

Pre-ordered & enroute!

Days Before Tomorrow also has a new album out - gonna check out. Their last album (2009) was pretty enjoyable. Think of a slightlier proggier version of Glass Tiger.
(Hooked on gooder gramer & speling)

1 Like

And the Mystery arrived! Signed copy. Not that I get too excited over such things, but it meant a couple more bucks for the band. I DO get excited about that…

If you like very musical NeoProg give Flamborough Head a try

Sitting outside the theater for The Musical Box and their recreation of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway tonight. No pics…I plan to just soak it all in. Row 4. Center.

(Okay. One pic)

I wasn’t old enough to see it when it toured originally (I would have been about six) so this is like a dream come true. They allegedly had access to the original slides and costumes. So.

Should be fun.

Mike in Dayton in Cincinnati tonight

4 Likes

Enjoy. I go to the almost yearly Steve Hackett show locally. Its a great show.

I have never heard the complete Lamb live. That is going to be awesome

1 Like

Yeah. We saw Steve last time he was in Cincinnati touring Seconds Out complete and Musical Box during COVID. I skipped this Hackett tour because he already played everything I wanted last tour. I mean, sure, I’d LIKE to see him do Horizons, but last show he did Firth and Supper’s Ready. I’d rather hold that memory.

Hopefully the fog doesn’t set off the fire systems that brought up the house lights last time we saw Musical Box here. Lol. And it was right in the middle of Firth of Fifth too.

1 Like

He did Firth, Cinema Show and Supper’s Ready… The sound filled the playhouse. Awesome memory from last years show

1 Like

Okay. One photo.

3 Likes

The costume is impressive, but that purple dude in the background looks just like that cheezy effect from a cheap “B” sci fi movie of a guy who got hit by a space gun just before he vaporizes into thin air without any residue. :laughing:

1 Like

ha ha ha. I love the outfit and can imagine what PG must have looked like back then.

I assumed that “Purple Wookie” was just a strange reflection from the stage lights.

Musically, how was it?

This is kind of obscure but pretty cool and a good recording (frequency range). They have a new album with the Hackett brothers!

If you squint, it was Peter Gabriel. Musically? It was absolutely stellar. The drum was a little hot because he wasn’t in back, but, frankly? I’ll ALWAYS take the drum a bit hot. Dude could play. He had a smallish kit but had a bunch of gongs and a xylophone in back. Lots of roto-toms. As a drum song, I’ve always loved “Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging” and he didn’t disappoint. I hadn’t realized how drum-heavy “Back in NYC” could be.

“The Waiting Room” - I’ve read that was a song that depending on Phil’s mood could stretch up to 15 minutes when played, but didn’t get that Phil would be the driver on it. Watching them play it last night, the entire band keyed off the drummer for that track, so I now understand a little better. They literally watched him the entire song to see what was coming next. It was fascinating.

So, they definitely had the chops to play the record. It sounded musically better than the live version on Archive 1: 1967-1975. And the singer could sound exactly like Peter in 1975. Great show. Allegedly this is the last time they’re touring it, so see it if you can. Next year they’re touring “Selling England by the Pound” which is my favorite Genesis record, so if they’re within 200 miles, I’m going.

2 Likes