Prog Rock fans

Just occurred to me…Midlake, “The Courage of Others”. Mopey and proggy. One of my favorite albums of the millennium.

2 Likes

Like this?

“Look guys, your song is almost 7 minutes long - we only booked you for four and half minutes…”
“Hold my Grolsch”

1 Like

Virtuosos. Musical- and Bodily-instruments…

Thanks for sending,

Take care,
Guy

1 Like

Never heard of many of the groups you listed, but I have seen Pink Floyd twice, Yes, Rush, and one of my major regrets is never having seen The Alan Parsons Project. Genesis in the 80s would have been a good show too.

Rememberingly,

Mongo

1 Like

An entertaining and light hearted, yet very talented drum-along to one of my favorite and most complex prog tunes. The guy is GOOD!

Thanks for exposing me to this. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and certainly spiked my curiosity about Frost.

Take care,
Guy

Same track with Craig Blundell (later Frost* drummer) Like jazz and jazz fusion, some prog drummers just blow my mind skill-wize.
And Frost*'s newest album & title track - outstanding! Great guitar harmonics riff. This track is catchy as hell on the very first listen. The CD also has a 2nd cd with all the same songs but in instrumental form. Cool idea!

If you like this type of complex prog - check out:

The uber talented Liquid Tension Experiment - It’s basically a fusion prog Dream Theatre but with Tony Levin on bass. Jordan Rudess is the most INSANE keyboardist out there.

Holding drummers in Mind, here’s exceptionalism, visually and musically

From Marillion’s new album - ‘An Hour Before It’s Dark’ (sadly, we all have a variety of ways to interpret that given the times we live in), expected in March:

3 Likes

Nice! Love Gavin. I always felt he got under-utilized in Porcupine Tree. Dream Theatre did a 7 part series on the drummers who auditioned when Portnoy left - it’s pretty cool to watch. Personally I think Marco Minneman would have taken the gig but rumor had it he got invited to ‘guest audition’ as he has so many other projects on the go…

I can watch music documentaries till the proverbial cowbells come home.

Cool but HOW could they miss out Adam Holzman’s superb solo that precedes Govan’s great solo??
Nick Beggs on Chapman stick & bass - yes, from 80’s group Kajagoogoo.
And here with the aforementioned Craig Blundell on drums.

Great track. Superb lyrics. Tragic Kevin Gilbert died at 29…
Poor sound quality on the vid but Master quality on Tidal…
Check it!

Prog(ish) Mark Wood - Electric violin guru. One of my favorite hard edge rock guitar albums. But, without any guitar on it…

1 Like

Soon to be released, The Pineapple Thief re-interpreted by Gavin Harrison:

2 Likes

That sparked me to put on this, which I think is the first album with Harrison on the kit.

2 Likes

Gavin catapulted TPT to a different level, and pre-post era is quite dissimilar.

This Blue-Ray is the live version of “Your Wilderness”, and also contains a hi-resolution audio version of the studio album.

1 Like

Cool! Lotsa new releases coming out soon… Satriani, Porcupine Tree (June), Tony Patterson & Doug Melbourne (The last release 'The Divide" was very good and well recorded), Bjorn Riis, Marillion, Big Big Train, even Tears For Fears & Willie Nelson!

This was played on my Prog station recently and I thought - is this an old Jon Lord Deep Purple track I haven’t heard before?
Outstanding track!!. See? Old guys can still rock!

I want to thank pikpen for introducing me to Barock Project. I’d never hear of them before reading this post. Initially, I though I’d buy one or two discs. It turned out to be much cheaper to purchase their boxed set with all 6 remastered CDs. I really enjoyed everyone of them!

1 Like

So, I was wondering, is Tull prog? I think so, at least up to Stormwatch or maybe Broadsword.

Edit to say I am getting the message the topic has been solved, what’s up with that?

There’s definitely prog elements to a lot of Tull I’d say. Even fusion to a point, for example “A.”

1 Like