PS Audio AirLens

I tried to like it. Failed.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip! Just had a quick listen, I think I dig it. Cleverly made with good grooves. Mix of old and new styles. Will have a better listen tomorrow.
I don’t know if it’s to your defense, it may be more a matter of taste than age, or the time of day you have it spin. That’s up to you. :wink:

3 Likes

Darn, I feel old too. I am not buying his cd soon.

1 Like

At least people here tried.

3 Likes

You’re a more sophisticated man than I.

1 Like

Roon does work with Chromecast Audio pucks (I have several around the house), as well as the Nest speakers and the NVidia SHIELD. No idea if it works with the Chromecast dongle, as I don’t own one. It also supports the Chromecast “groups” I have created, so I can send the music to multiple devices around the house. Oddly though, Roon isn’t supporting the Nest Hubs anymore, either for music streaming or using as a display (which was really handy).

Roon works with the Chromecast video devices and seems to work with any Cast enabled device.

For example, in Roon, two smart TVs appear as potential endpoints (via Chromecast protocol).

Same here. Our TV’s, Shield Pro, Google TV dongle, Chromecast 4K, and Chromecast audio, and Google Home’s show up in Roon. We don’t normally use them for much more then displaying what’s playing on Roon. Very rarely do we use them to play music, but when we do, they work flawlessly and for the money sound pretty good.

I do hope that when Roon Mobile is released, casting from a phone will be a feature. I know pairing via bluetooth will work, but casting directly from the interface would be very convenient.

1 Like

It might just be difficult to get past the second track (first full track), DNA on Kendrick Lamar’s Damn. It gets pretty good thereafter. Lot’s of good things to say for it. Maybe a bit more accessible, try Masego’s Lady Lady or even smoother FKJ’s French Kiwi Juice.

1 Like

Tried Kendrick Lamar as suggested, I’m usually really open to all styles of genres, but this didn’t do it for me. However, it did WAKE up my 6 subwoofers LOL.

1 Like

I’ll give another try later. Maybe after having a nice shot of whisky first :grin:

1 Like

OK, I guess I too will break the CD out and try again…

1 Like

If you can’t or don’t want to wait for an AirLens you could try this for a very good and not too expensive streaming solution.

1 Like

I’m not a digital guy so sorry for this question.

What I’m using now.
I use a MacMini as Roon Core only for stream from Qobuz. No files ripped needed.
Input:
router > RJ 45 wall > AQ Ethernet cable > Pink Faun LAN Isolator
Output:
USB port > AQ USB Diamond cable > Intona USB Isolator > USB Intona cable > Matrix > AQ Dragon48 HDMI cable > DS DAC Sr (in future MK II)

Question is: when available the AirLens, is this a correct connection path?

MacMini will be used for the same purpose as now: Roon Core for streaming only from Qobuz.
Input:
router > RJ 45 wall > AQ Ethernet cable > Pink Faun LAN Isolator (same as now)
Output:
WiFi > AirLens > AQ Dragon 48 HDMI cable > DS DAC Sr (Mk II in future)

Then am I wrong assuming that I will be able

1. to avoid the USB cables/isolator and the Matrix I’m using now? It means Less boxes than now.
  2. to avoid the need of a new switch (and LPS). I means NO more boxes and cables to be added to.

Is it correct?

At the moment I consider CDs and SACDs from PST to DAC superior by far than streaming music and my aim is to improve SQ of streaming music thanks to AirLens without adding too much new boxes and cables in order to increase the usage of digital gear.

1 Like

Second silly question.

Awaiting the launch of the AirLens how can I improve the SQ of my streaming experience.

Adding a LPS (I have a Dragon HC spare) to feed the Matrix with 9V, does it really matter? It means, can really expect expect a remarkable improvement (like CDs via PST) or just a subtle change in performance but never as CDs via PST in your experience?

I cannot answer your first question because I do not use Matrix and my server has an i2s output.

Do you use a quality LPS for your router? When I used one for my satellite which connects to my server, the streaming sound improved to a point that is remarkably close to CD level.

Oh my router is at the second floor upstairs (without any LPS or dedicated lines) while my music room is in the basement. So I have a fiber internet from external service provider to my router located upstairs but I unfortunately have a LAN made by Ethernet cables CAT6 that run inside the walls of the house (so close with lots of current cables in common with many other stuff) for almost 15 meters (50 feet) from the router to my wall socket RJ45 behind the rack. Not a clean ethernet line even if with a good speed (900 Mb download and 350 Mb upload - very useful for work video calls in Zoom but that doesn’t count so much for music audiophile standards).

In my setup I use a Satellite because my main router is on 2nd floor too. This way I don’t need to run any cable in great length. If you have speedy Wi-Fi it may be a better setup than long long connections.

I am no expert in this area, but the QOBUZ streaming sounded the same as playing local files to me in my case.

Unfortunately “basement” and “satellite” do not work well together in my wifi environment. So I have to use wall sockets.
Are you telling that in your experience Qobuz and CDs via PST have similar quality or Qobuz and (ripped) files?

Ripped files playing through PST are remarkably close to the same QOBUZ streaming from server. PST uses Dragon I2S and Euphony Summus 2 uses Firebird I2S plus different Power cords too.

You may try using a better PS for your router. It made a SQ jump in my case.

2 Likes