PWT good for now?

Don’t understand what your asking

Would it make for a nice upgrade to my PWT or is it not worth the issues? My feeling is that it would make for a beautiful upgrade despite the odd quirks. My PWT still sounds very good as is for now. It’s a matter of lack of funds at the moment.Does anyone want to swap for a pair of Abyss 1266 Phi TC headphones? I have a pair up for sale.

Mitch

I am not doubting the PST is an upgrade sound wise to the PWT. It just comes down to if you are willing to put up with the quirks now and in the future and do you have any interest in SACD’s. I wasn’t willing to, didn’t intend to and could move gear around so I went with the Jay’s and am happy. Would like to try the Pro-ject CD Box RS2T if it ever returns to stock anywhere especially Music Direct where I can try it for 60 days.

If your PWT sounds better than your Aries G2.1 and you don’t listen to SACD or DSD then I wouldn’t bother IMO.

I would love to try the Jay’s but I don’t have the space for it. A PST would fit perfectly. I may get one when I can.The PWT is okay for now. I have been using it without issue for over 9 years.

1 Like

The PWT does sound better than my Aries G2.1 but it’s very very close! I am getting some good sound since the mods on my DSD and the upgraded top of the line digital Audioquest cables.

FWIW, I’ve had the PST since the new year, and have had zero problems with it.

1 Like

I had my first major problem this week. A cd get stuck! the drawer would open and the cd would not be in it, and would play. After a number of reboots, no change. I had to remove the unit from the rack, use the release mechanism and tilt the unit in such a way that the cd finally emerged.

Hasn’t happened since, and I’m not playing that cd again for a long time (Keith Jarrett “Creation” ECM).

I too have went from PWT to DMP to PST with no regrets or issues. While streaming is constantly changing, I believe I have an end game disc player.

I also have the Aries and enjoy it very much. Sounds great until I put on a disc. PST is the best source component I have owned. I may upgrade or tweak the streaming components some day, but PST is here to stay.

Aries is no slouch, easy to use and is great for exploring, but when I put down the remotes and close my eyes, the PST is delivering the bits.

3 Likes

Sounds like the player. I look forward to to getting one.

1 Like

A new PST transport is in my future. Very exciting. I am thinking I might hold onto the PWT as a back up or maybe I will just sell it. It truly is a nice sounding transport on its own.

5 Likes

I traded in my PWT and purchased The PST it now has around 400 hours on it and the sq now is a major leap forward, if possible buy one today

2 Likes

Okay thanks

I got my new PST and although the firmware is 2.4.3 the player works perfectly

3 Likes

It’s actually gorgeous and is working without flaw. I obviously got one from a good batch. My firmware is 2.4.3 and I am being mailed the upgrade to 2.4.4. I hope it doesn’t hurt anything to update.

I was able to update to 2.4.4 from wifi. I don’t notice any difference.

1 Like

If your PST is working flawlessly. no difference is a good difference.
I was playing a bunch of files from my streamer and switch to a SACD to my PST and a friend who was also listening commented, " Wow, that’s what I was talking about, there’s something about playing a disc that files can’t match, it’s so solid sounding." I’ll have to agree.

3 Likes

It sounds amazing and works without flaw. I got a good batch.

I have had the PST since beta. No problems per se. On rare occasions it may get stuck, but a simple power reboot solved it. The latest software upgrade was not intended to effect the sound. Early ones did. If you have the latest one installed you are good to go.

I have not one issue with my unit