Snowmass DirectStream Junior is now live

I think you can do the partition thing (it works each of the times I’ve been involved with), but a smaller drive will certainly help.

2 Likes

My small (1GB) USB stick FAT16 formatted which I have used successfully for all DSJ updates so far was not recognised by my DSJ when trying to update to Snowmass.

So, went back to Yale, then upgraded to Snowmass. Worked a treat.

2 Likes

Just USB, no Bridge usage or even network cable connected, here.

Yet, I had to do the Yale > Snowmass dance move for upgrade from Redcloud.

By request of @badbeef:

POLL: For Those DSJ Owners Whose Redcloud > Snowmass Update Failed, was an Ethernet Cable Connected to the Bridge II Input at the Time?

• YES
  • NO

0 voters

From all the reading I tend to conclude this is the abnormal pattern.
Or you can upgrade directly (not me and you), or you have to Yale > Snowmass.

@badbeef exercise is interesting, and @Paul and PS Audio should investigate that: what are the differences between those DSj units (directly vs Yale>Snowmass).

Is the DSJ Snowmass release “force load” code? The DS Sr. Snowmass OS was released as force load code, and there seemed to be far fewer updating complaints than with prior DS Sr. OS releases, which were not issued as force load code. Thanks.

I guess it is force load.

For ease of mind sake, I reloaded Snowmass one second time.
And after the Yale>Snowmass initial dance, I just inserted the USB stick with the Snowmass files, and it reloaded the OS.

1 Like

DSJr is NOTORIOUS for needing to downgrade firmware before upgrading. Why I sure don’t know, but it’s at least a way to know it’ll work.

This is exactly what happened to me so you’re not alone.

Formatted SanDisk Extreme usb 3.0 64GB to FAT32 with Rufus https://rufus.ie/en_IE.html . Went from Redcloud to Yale to Snowmass without a problem ;).

I now get what all the fuss about Snowmass was about ;).

Thanks Ted and PS Audio.

I voted twice, since I tried it both ways last night!

This issue (mine at least) definitely was related to the drive. Solved by using an old 256 MB unit. Listening now. . . Impressions later.

I was able to accomplish the upgrade. Following others’ advice, I dug out an old FAT16 USB, loaded the files via my Windows machine (Mac didn’t like FAT16 much), and the upgrade from Redcloud went smoothly. Thanks for the tips and encouragement to keep trying. This community & these forums are excellent, backing up exceptional products.

Hi netspecht-2,

Good to hear that you were able to get updated.
I believe that the USB stick was not formatted correctly initially.
Have a look at our tutorial for formatting a USB stick from our website:

Hope this is helpful next time you wish to update the DSJ.
If you have any trouble please let me know and I’ll be happy to assist.
Thanks,

• Jeremy
1 Like

DSJ Snowmass day two:

Just listened to “Blues to Bechet” from Coltrane Plays the Blues, tidal via ROON MQA 24/192. That was a 5 min and 46 second visit from John Coltrane into my living room. I can’t comment on what Snowmass sounds like because I don’t know what it sounds like. Instead, I know what Coltrane playing the soprano sax sounds like; and that’s something special.

Time to go to work unfortunately. But I can’t wait to get home later and see my family, hug my wife, play with my son and daughters; hear about their day and help with home work. And later, once thing settle, and the dishes dried, I will welcome back John, Elvin, McCoy and Steve into my living room. And after that, Promises to keep, And “Miles” to go before I sleep;)

Glad to hear others are having success with the upgrade procedure thanks to Ted’s steps and everyones suggestions, encouragement, and help. Enjoy and thank you very very much.

3 Likes

And wow does it sound nice in every way. Before, Mid/Low bass seemed a tad anemic even with Levinson amp, Revel speakers and Synergistic Tesla cables so I concluded my room was less than ideal and I would have to live with it or try a sub. But NOW, everything blooms in a way I’ve never heard before and the bass/mid bass is exactly what I was looking for. Very happy.

I had zero issues uploading, and while I know that this is well documented, I thought I’d quickly run through my own experience, as I have made a few goofs with the files on earlier updates:

Reformated old USB thumb drive
Downloaded Snowmass to Win 10 laptop
Unzipped files
Copied (only) files (no folders) to USB stick
Turned off DSJ at rear switch
Inserted USB stick into USB input (Note: Ethernet still connected to DSJ)
Turned on DSJ at rear switch
Front panel light blinks for several minutes, screen is dark
Screen shows message indicating update is in progress
OS loads (total time was probably less than 15 minutes)
I pushed the front panel button to confirm Snowmass was loaded.

Hope this might help somebody. Snowmass is worth the effort!

2 Likes

Hi Jeremy. Thanks for the email. Not being in FAT32 looks to be the problem on the reformats. The sticks were reformatted and software downloaded in an Apple format. Best, Robert

@JeremyBe

You mention Revel speakers. I have Ultima (1) Studios and Sub30, driving with two of the three channels of a Bryston 6B SST2 (third channel driving Ultima Voice). What Levinson amp are you using and are there any others you’ve tried? I’m considering an amp upgrade, but there are a lot of products with various technical innovations and I’m kind of lost as where to start. I leave my stuff on 24×7, as it’s used for TV and movies as well as music, so tubes and Class A are not good options.

I tried 4 times to go from RedCloud to Snowmass with no luck. So then downgraded to Yale (on first shot w/ no problems) and then upgraded to Snowmas and it loaded first try. All is good now. Only thing left is to listen and enjoy.

1 Like

I have the new Revel F228Be’s and before that Emerald Physics EP3.8’s with subs. With the Emeralds, I ran a Conrad Johnson MF 2275 (130W solid state) and loved the Synergy with the super efficient EP’s. Then I attended Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in October and heard the Revel’s with the soon to be released Levinson 5805 integrated amp/DAC/Streamer. Even my wife said the sound from that room stood out in a good way from many if not most of the others . . . so I bought the Revel’s haha. But when I got home and gave them ample break in time, they just didn’t seem as dynamic and lacked the bass grip and control I heard at the show. I was tempted to hold off until the new Levinson integrated came available in January and A/B it against my PSA DSJr, BHK Preamp and CJ amp. But I love my PS Audio stuff so grabbed a very slightly used Levinson 532H. Loved it and sold the sweet but relatively soft sounding CJ amp. I used to have a Levinson 331 paired with Apogee Stage speakers and BAT preamp. Very good synergy there as well but reviewers seem to believe the 532H is more forward and dynamic than past Levinson designs and I think that may be true but can’t say for sure.

1 Like