Snowmass DirectStream Sr. upgrade - Available in the Downloads Section

Been getting some loud fizz/cracks between tracks with V2, also the fade in (even when set to higher than 1000ms in Roon) has been an issue for me.
I run Bridge II with latest firmware.

Going back to V1 to see how I get on.
Never had any issue with the original release.

V1 more engaging musically in my setup.

Joe Bonemassa live at Carnegie Hall, acoustic set very well recorded.
Better separation and sense of musicians playing off one another.
Stronger sense of venue and emotion in the performance.

V1’s a keeper for me till the next Peak.

1 Like

This was what I also thought to experience…but it didn’t pass the blind test.

Wasn’t blind, but swapped back and forth between the two.

My music gland switched on to one more obviously than the other.
I know that even before I read about the perception of V1 vs V2 I wasn’t enjoying my DS as much, and had in fact started spinning vinyl again! :slight_smile:

And no more fade ins or loud cracks between tracks.

2 Likes

Been listening tonight for a few hours with Vi.
Hearing lots of band playing in my room , the Goosebumps factor (never mind the boogie factor) is well and truly back.

Ted, Paul and the team were really proud of Snowmass V1 and the quizillion compiles they really compared by ear Its was a major improvement over Redcloud.

Holy f*CK it really was.

But we all have different setups, and all things to all people, and responding immediately and fixing the problems a few folk had with V1 led to a different compile of the code.

Hit a few marks (on paper) but of course it sounded different from that “one in a 1000” compile Paul and Ted picked.

In the lucky camp that Snowmass v1 worked perfect for me and my DS/ Bridge II/ Roon setup, Must admit with V2 was always waiting for burn in to make it sound better.

Immediately on V1 reinstall the goosebumps are back.

2 Likes

Hi,
I’m little confused about your review between the ADMS and the DS.
I did the same and found that the players have a total different sound signature!

Hmm… I own both. The Akurate DSM III (FW 4.66.255) and the DSD Sr. with Snowmass 3.04 and Bridge II FW 3.6.17. Of course, the level is exactly balanced. Via Roon I can play the identical album at the same time. At the preamp I can switch between the two with the remote control. So I come to my conclusion.

One have to pay close attention to the fact that the listening conditions are identical. A correct statement could only be made if we both hear under identical conditions. If it’s e.g. an ADSM II, or if the DSD is running Redcloud, things look completely different.

Sorry I was mistaken :frowning:
In my case it was the ADSMII and DS with Snowmass 3.04

Is the ADSMIII kathalyst sq and the AKDMSII sq huge?

I was looking for another DAC before Snowmass was launched.
But no rush right now.
SQ of Snowmass is superb!
(Snowmass V2)

Linn Klimax DSM … I used to use the Linn Klimax DAC in my main system… An excellent DAC, both build and sound quality top class, but ‘far too expensive’ when pitched against the DS-DAC purely on sound quality. ‘And I much prefer the natural musicality of the DS’… If you take the cost of the Linn Klimax-Katalyst DSM in the UK: I could buy 3 x DS DACs (‘PSA is expensive in the UK’ !!) and still save £2,500 !!

…As I see it, the only plus with the Linn Klimax DSM, for me, is that the Linn factory is only a 2 hour drive from my home… Other than that - DS all the way…

During the time I owned the Linn Klimax DSM there was one major upgrade which involved fitting a new main board, and it cost “a lot of money” whereas Ted regularly delivers a first-class increase to the musical performance all for the price of an SD card…! Obviously, that’s just my take on it and in my system.

3 Likes

In simple words: Yes. In more detail … When I bought my Akurate, it was a DSM II (2). I bought it blindly with confidence because all the tests were extremely positive. At home I only needed a few minutes to realize that it was a bad buy. But only on condition that I connected via XLR (or cinch) to the amplifier. So then, when I heard the integrated DAC in the device. Fortunately, the ADSM also has a digital RCA output. And when I plugged it in via the connector on my DAC (McIntosh MA9000), the sound was good. But I actually heard the sound of the McIntosh. But since the streamer worked absolutely reliably and without any sensitivities, he was allowed to stay. But I was not really satisfied.

Things changed when I had the DSM converted to the Katalyst architecture half a year ago. Not only did I get back an ADSM III (3), but a streamer that made a clear better sound on its analogue ports. Before, the stage image in depth and width was simply underground, afterwards a completely new dimension. Now (and only now) the ADSM was well worth the money. For me an explicit example that one must not trust any test. How the testers came to their verdict (for the ADSM 2) is a mystery to me. But of course, the ADSM III (with Katalyst) is a really good device. To be clear, an ADSM II (2) would not stand a chance against DirectStream DAC Sr. No matter if Redcloud or Snowmass is installed.

As always, everything is my opinion with my ears :wink:

I do not contradict that in any way. € 20k is beyond good and evil. The € 9k that my ADSM III costs is already questionable.

1 Like

What’s with Paul and his software names? I’m listening over DOS 2.2.2 Version 13.0.0.

So I picked up a used Directstream DAC recently. It came with Redcloud. I Listened briefly, and then quickly upgraded to Snowmass(it’s what made me pull the trigger and the purchase after all. I’m curious. I really can’t compare the upgrade to RedCloud as I only briefly listened to it. I’ve seen numerous people claim multiple installs to get the upgrade to “take”. I’m wondering if anyone has had the experience of multiple Snowmass installs having a NEGATIVE effect, as opposed to a positive. I ask because, quite frankly, I’m not blown away by the DAC. There seems to be a very marginal improvement from my previous DAC, but we’re talking about full retail price differences on the order of 15x here. My wife, a former singer, can’t even tell the difference honestly. This is the first A/B test she hasn’t clearly jumped at the difference, including tests of relatively small change in setup. So, what are the odds that my snowmass upgrade just didnt pan out and I should try again? Seems silly, I’m skeptical by nature.

Welcome, Narbooty

While most enjoy an immediate improvement of this DAC over others, and Snowmass over Redcloud, experience varies. You will find a great deal in this thread on this topic, and others, by going back through the thread.

I’m a lurker :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve read quite a bit already. I haven’t seen anyone comment on whether or not they have had a negative experience with multiple installs of a firmware upgrade.

Edit: I forgot to say thanks for the welcome!

So the first questionis I have is, how long have you had the DAC, and about how many hrs do you have on it? IMO, and that if many others, this DAC takes a long time to break-in, like 800 to 1000 hrs. It does start sounding better after a few hundred hrs, but it doesn’t really shine with all its Glory, until it has completely settled in. Have patience, and you will be rewarded.

Edit: Forgot to ask, what is feeding the DSD?

1 Like

Tell us about the connection to the DS (ie USB) and what it is connected to. How was the cheaper DAC connected? The DS DAC can perform at a very high level if the interface is "top notch ". I could seriously degrade the sound of my DS if I connected my laptop directly to the DAC with a basic USB cable and only used iTunes to play a music file. For better sound I have a number of devices between the laptop and the DS DAC and I use better software in my laptop. These details are critical for great sound. So if you can elaborate on your setup, we can help you.

I’ve had the DAC hooked up for a little over 3 weeks, running at least a few hours every day, never powered off. I haven’t put a ton of hours on it yet personally with that said, but it is a used unit that is apparently a year or 2 old.

Feeding the DAC is a surface PRO 4 via usb running Tidal. Not the best setup I know, but that is how the previous DAC was set up so it’s a direct comparison to previous setup.

Now I’m not sitting here saying this doesnt sound “good”. It is, in fairness, an improvement. I would also be lying if I said I wasn’t enjoying it. Most simply put I would say I was just expecting more. The DAC is now the most “high end” component in my setup(previous DAC was by far the weak link in terms of price at least but great value), but that’s not to say it’s hooked up junk either.

Let me just add before I get too much farther…This community and it’s activity is a big part of why I decided to try PS Audio. I thank everyone in advance for any input, or simply for just putting up with me :stuck_out_tongue: This is a great place to be it seems, and I’ve read a lot of posts on multiple threads over the past months.

1 Like

Lurkers are very welcome, lurking or breaking into the sunlight.

It is reasonable to expect more; audiophile hyperbole builds unreasonably heightened expectations for all of us.

I do not recall anyone stating multiple installs made the sound worse. Some report needing multiple installs for the sound to improve. If there is any question, reinstall Redcloud and then go back to Snowmass.

So it’s safe to say the DAC is completely broken in, being that it’s one to two years old. I have a PSA DMP transport feeding the DSD, connected using the HDMI i2s connection. So I can’t really comment on the sound quality via a Surface pro USB connection. I’m sure others here will have more to say about your particular scenario.