Snowmass DirectStream Sr. upgrade - Available in the Downloads Section

I’ve been looking into all sorts of options for music servers/roon endpoints/usb treatment etc etc to feed the DAC, but I this discussion is getting well beyond that scope of this thread and I don’t want to completely derail the first thread I post in anymore. I’ll find a more appropriate one for that.

Fow now I’ll say my question has been answered, and I’ll try and reload recloud and then snowmass later tonight and see what happens. Thanks all.

Please report back.

And please post in the other threads, or start new ones, if you have other questions.

What speakers and amplifier are you using?

Martin Logan 60xt’s speakers. Rega Elex-R Intergrated Amp.

It might be a resolving issue with your amp and/or speakers. I’ve used the Directstream with some cheaper amps and speakers before (playing around with friends equipment) and the results were middling. I too couldn’t tell much of a difference between it and a cheaper (NAD M51) DAC on hand. A great amp especially takes the directstream to a whole new level. Considering this DAC costs a few thousand dollars more than your speaker/amp combo, you might have an issue where you’re short changing the potential this DAC has. This might be why you aren’t hearing what everyone else is saying about this DAC.

2 Likes

Quite possible. I suspect it’s combination of usb connection from surface pro and the integrated holding it back more so than the speakers at this point.

Narbooty

If you want a solid upgrade on the integrated side without breaking the bank I would suggest you look at the Kinki Studio EX-M1.

Yup - one major possibility is that the prior setup was more sort of “matched” with the source, and now you’re hearing much more clearly what the Surface/USB sounds like. The curse of making a major improvement ; )

Have you double-checked your Tidal settings to confirm that you are streaming lossless audio?

Also, do you have any high-res lossless DSD or PCM files on your laptop that you can try? (Tidal is below-CD quality in many peoples’ experiences.) You can download some free/legal high-res test files here:

2L High Resolution Music .:. free TEST BENCH?

Merry Christmas all.

Tidal settings are set to master. I reinstalled snowmass today, Not sure if I got any difference. I set up roon again, played some hi res files(24/192) I have on-hand. It sounds good, but the problem I have is that when I run this set up it doesnt sound as good as the direct from tidal play(meaning a/b testing tidal tracks through roon vs direct from tidal desktop app). So basically, I know there is something wrong with my Roon setup…ie the hi res playback is handicapped.

I think the issue is mostly that my expectations were too high given my current setups other limitations. I can’t say I have any issue with the DAC I suppose. I knew I was going to end up with a lopsided system, but I am in going to be completely upgrading everything(20k to 40k $$$ range) in the next year or two and figured I might as well start with the previous weakest link and just get what I hoped would be the hypothetical endgame DAC.

Your amp and speakers are fine - as Beef mentioned your hearing the limitations of the surface\usb combo. A decent dedicated server\streamer (not a computer) will do wonders to improve the situation. I’d start there.

1 Like

Man. This never ends, right? I’ve spent I don’t know how many hours trying to research streamers/servers/USB decrapifiers and I’m starting to feel pretty frustrated(again, I’ve done this every few months for the past year). All I really want to do is get tidal to the dac with an option for roon as with as high quality as possible. I can’t believe how difficult this is. There isn’t even any kind of consensus that I’ll get a sound quality improvement with a bridge 2 as a streamer.

It really depends on your budget. If funds are tight why not find a used Bridge and start there. The people on here that use it seem to be pretty happy with the sound quality.

Here, here! @cudfoo. I would go so far as qualifying your endorsement of the bridge as an understatement. :grinning: @Narbooty: Uncompressed files from a computer via Wi-Fi/Ethernet via JRiver Media Center (JRMC) and other “rendering” software is really, really good via the Bridge/Bridge II - DirectStream Sr. combination. The best sound ever wrought from my kit. Pick up a new or used Bridge II card and try this route instead of USB. I am confident you will be taken aback at the performance of this input/streaming method. FWIW, in my experience, JRMC using the Remote application as the controller is superior to Roon, MConnect and Tidal sourced files. Don’t get too hung up on such subtleties yet, though. Just try the Bridge II input, using the equipment you have on hand plus a quality ethernet cable and “see” what you get. Enjoy the journey. Regards.

Hi Ted,
So Even with a P10, the situation remained.
I even tried playing with the buffers and plugging the network switch to the P10.
The only thing that worked was changing the input signal from I2S to USB, even with the switch still off the P10.
So I don’t have perturbations anymore, now I’m concerned about the efficiency and setup of my P10, I’ll take it to the power guys ;0)

After spending probably too much time looking around, I think I’m going to order a matrix audio x-spdif 2 and see how that sounds. I’m going to try and should the USB never ending escalator if I can. I’m interested in checking out a bridge 2, but given the mixed reviews I think I’d only be comfortable picking one up used for cheap I haven’t seen that opportunity present itself yet.

Let us all know how it turns out/sounds. FWIW, I don’t see how one would characterize Bridge 2 as having “mixed reviews”. To each his own. Hopefully, you will be able to try multiple sources/DS Sr. inputs (including via the Bridge 2) and optimize what works best for you. Enjoy the journey!

P.S. the Matrix Audio “black box” looks very promising.

I have a Matrix X-SPIDF 2 and a Bridge II connected to a DS Sr. In my system, I2S from the Matrix beats the Bridge II by a country mile. YMMV.

2 Likes

Any thoughts on how the Sonore UltraDigital compares to the Matrix?

Hey Boot - quick update on my Matrix X-SPIDF 2. After a couple of weeks it’s sounding great and the I2S input beats the Toslink now. Wondering if another HDMI cable would make an improvement. Tried the cable you recommended and a Blue Jeans cable. Like the bjc cable a little better. Hard to find any info on HDMI cables used for I2S connections. Thinking there must be some better options. Also looking to pick up the Uptone LPS 1.2 PS in a couple weeks, however the Matrix is real good with USB power - great recommendation.

1 Like