Sonny rollins

I am going to have to try that and see what happens. Give me an example of an album that results in Radio playing I’m an old cowhand.

I have my own issues with the Radio. Like playing America, Simon and Garfunkel, and Cat Stevens after Neil Young albums.

I’m totally disc based. If that happens. . . I’ve gone senile. :wink: So far, not.

1 Like

That is sooo funny! Thanks for the laugh.

1 Like

A few hours ago.

You’ll notice I skipped it. :grin:

Is it’s just a single song that you’ve specifically chosen in the Hard Bop genre will cause it to happen or is there a full album up above in the Queue that causes it to happen?

Generally I’ll have roon radio play after an album, but I always was under the impression that Roon Radio based its algorithm off the last song in the queue.

Might be wrong about that.

Sometimes I’ll model roon after an artist or something, but this happens after I play an album, generally.

1 Like

I’m more of a tree house type, not much for the Ritz.

Devil’s Lake Doorway Rock view, a minor Ice Age Trail detour. BTW, not my image.

2 Likes

That’s beautiful!

We are more city, festival, and food vacation goers. Budapest, Florence, Angkor Wat, Fringe, Umbria Jazz Festival, Holi, Obon, etc…

If it wasn’t for Covid, this year we were going to three Jazz festivals in Europe. Hopefully we’ll be able to go in the next year or so.

1 Like

Yes, I agree to most of it, also to Henderson’s later albums for sure being not groundbreaking and also Shorters distance from someone like Coltrane.

I learned a lot about Rollins‘ role (thanks!) and, although I already initially assumed, my judgement is based on this, I got even more aware, that it’s based on my personal taste and impression, that Rollins‘ playing for me wasn’t as deep as Coltrane’s at their best times, not as differently better than several others at this time and in terms of compositions or musical integration in more modern sounds, he didn’t develop enough for my taste in later times. All that related to his immense reputation.

But I realized that most of this has little to do with the historical value of his activities in different bands through different eras of his high time, which (except for a good bunch of his albums) didn’t get the appreciation they obviously deserve within just my personal taste, especially when set on a level with other, also non sax playing geniuses.

2 Likes

Trondheim, Norway

1 Like

I’m listening to some J.J. Johnson Columbia albums from '59 and '60 and hearing two saxophonists who were at that time showing their Rollins influence: Bobby Jaspar and Clifford Jordan. Both were artists who deserved more recording dates though they had some and that I think our OP “Sloop” John B :wink: may enjoy exploring the work of as leaders and sidemen.

Been there! One of my favorite places. I worked the '94 Lillehammer Winter Olympics and was fortunate to see quite a bit of Norway. I’ve been back several times since.

1 Like

yes, i am enjoying this thread.currently on the sacd hunt for some of the names

2 Likes

Do you stream music or are you physical media only?

mostly physical media, i do use the bridge with qobuz but not a big fan of streaming at this point

If you are mostly media I think your streaming serup is all you need to sample new music and then purchase what you like. Streaming and/or local files is yet another rabbit hole of endless possibilities.

really been enjoying this, thanks

I suggest Jeremy Pelt.

RoonShareImage-637910734975574969