SR Orange & Telos X2 fuses

Hi all
While waiting for a QSA Yellow to arrive for an Innuos ZenMK2, I’ve been moving between the stock fuse, a Synergistic Research Orange and a Telos X2. It’s obvious that both aftermarket fuses sound better than the stock one, it’s not such a simple thing with when comparing Orange and X2.

Orange - sublime midband. It’s beguiling to listen to voices and instruments that are midband focused. It’s also more detailed in the midband, which is I suppose how it does what it does.

Telos X2 - more extension top and bottom. I suspect that this extension is what’s letting the sound be cavernous and 3D on recordings with natural acoustic information. But what I find really exciting are the dynamics! Macro and micro are the best of this small bunch.

Interestingly, the SR is obvious in which way it’s direction is. Get it right and it’s that sublime midband. Have it backwards and it’s really terrible. Worse than the stock fuse with in distinct imaging and an almost phasey result.
The Telos sounds better than the stock either direction, but much better the “correct” way.

I’m hoping the QSA Yellow will go some way to achieving the best of both!
Cheers
Mick.

You really should try a SR Purple fuse. That fuse open up the sound more than any other fuse I have tried including a Audio Magic Beeswax Ultimate Premier, which was so much better than the SR Orange I had before. I’m still amazed how much better the Purple makes on my P20 and DSD Sr.

1 Like

Have you tried the QSA fuses? SR Purple is on my radar.

UGH… Damn you! Lol

2 Likes

This site sells QSA Silver fuses for about $5k each. Two fuses would get me a Tambaqui DAC, three fuses would buy me a DCS Bartok with headphone amp

Edit: I checked, and it seems prices of these DACs went up. Inflation & supply chain headaches!

1 Like

I’d blow a gasket of my 5k fuse blew.

And don’t forget the RF absorbers on top of the P20. Ask @aangen or @Vmax about it, it made a pretty big difference on my P20 which really surprised me!

2 Likes

No, I have not. The SR Purple is so good, I’m really not looking for anything else, but since you are getting a QSA Yellow yourself, please share with us your findings on what this fuse can do. Maybe you can change my mind.

2 Likes

Yes, but QSA fuses start at around $35. The Yellow is as far as I’d go because it seems like the price sweet spot considering the streamer it’s going into. I bought a Blue for my power strip because it seemed price appropriate.
Perhaps if you already owned a Tambaqui and it’s performance peers in terms of amps and speakers, you’d think a $5k fuse is worth a try?
It’s not about price, it’s about value, and that means your own wallet and value perceptions.
The Telos X2 seems like a very high value purchase to me, considering the component it’s used in and the upgrade in sound. It makes no sense to me to put a $5k fuse in a AU$4200 streamer, right?

1 Like

Me, too. I’d be devastated. So it’s really not a product for us. But the bottom three on the price ladder (yellow bring the 3rd least expensive) I can handle the risk. I’d be disappointed if it blew, of course, but then I need to remember I’ve not blown a fuse in a component in 25 years in the hobby. The risk seems small, and the price is something I’ve decided I can lose if the worst happens. The Telos X2 is half the price. That is a no brainer upgrade for me. Great value for money compared to cables.
Cheers
Mick

I believe you’re ok if you blow a QSA fuse one time, they’ll replace it free of charge, just don’t go blowing it again a second time or it will cost you.

1 Like

I actually have the 3m sheet on top of the P20 already. Lol

3 Likes

Which 3M sheet is it?

Then with the upgrade in the fuse and power cord, you’re all set. The P20 will open a whole new world for you. It will make everything you plug into it sound so much better! It has for me.

1 Like

This is the sheet I used from Digikey 3M AB 7050HF

3 Likes

If you have not gotten a SR Purple fuse yet for your P20, hold off a little bit. I just ordered a new Audio Magic Masterpiece M-1 Beeswax fuse to see how it compares with the Purple. I’ll let you know when I get it.

2 Likes

Thanks. I was going to hold off till the next buy 2 get 1 free which will probably be in December if I had to guess.

1 Like

Gee here we go yet again…more wax on wax off…then will come
the SR “Incredible Graphene” fuse followed by the “Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious” fuse… :grinning: :innocent:

Have fun waymanchen…waiting for your take …

Best wishes

2 Likes

Sorry to put you through this, David, but I am hopelessly addicted to this audio tweaking process. Every time I find something that makes my system sound better, it doesn’t last. I have the urge to find something even better.

I will try out this new Beeswax thing and if SR will come out with their “Super Incredible Graphene”, I will try that also, if it’s within what I can afford.

2 Likes

Hey waymanchen ole pal…your not putting me through anything
painful…

Just hopped over there and read that the new Magic Masterpiece
uses black diamond material…very interesting.

This is akin to computer software and hardware “must have”
upgrades…ha ha…

It’s all good …have some fun!!!

Best wishes

1 Like