Swiss Digital Fuse Box, the fuse reinvented

Busy and so importantly active for this community, I’d say!

1 Like

Thank you, Donald. I put the standard copper in and never looked back. I have one or two more that came with but have not bothered to experiment.

Maybe when I get back in mid June. It’s been 9 days away from the system and I am starting to twitch a little.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Just so you know, my current favorite is the Super sluggo that came with SDFB. I have been using Pure copper and some aftermarket silver and R/S in both solid and hollow. They all sound different, and my favorite has not stayed the same either.

But I like solid over hollow, and copper slightly over silver. Maybe I have too many silver cables and power cords, and I need some copper to balance the SQ. :laughing:

These sluggos really can tune the sound, and I am sure in a different system I would prefer a different sluggo.

2 Likes

Metal and construction is what, again?

It should come with FB as the standard sluggo. On mine one end is smoother than the other. I like the smooth end in to fuse cap much better.

1 Like

That is what my SDFB came with. My least favorite so far. May not have put enough time on it.

1 Like

It was my least favorite at beginning too, somehow it sounds better now. :thinking:

1 Like

My Graphene Sluggo arrived today.

Right off it sounds very nice, warm and a little laid back, though I can hear some little twinkles of nice gentle detail woven into the sound. All the Sluggos tend to sound warm and a little laid back to me in my system when they are first introduced, especially as the component or in this case (I put it in the P15) all the components have been shut down for a few minutes and need most of a day to “be all they can be.” But I sense I am going to like it right where it is, and in this direction.

Afte a few days with Super sluggo, I gradually like it less and less. There’s a bit of excessive energy in the midrange that started to bother me more as I listened more. Finally, I switched back to Pure copper 10 min. ago, and I like it better already.

I still have that hollow silver to try, then I will go back to Rodium/silver again. I think I have enough sluggos to play now, I do not think I will order more. Unless @lonson tells me I have to. :laughing:

1 Like

I believe in freedom of choice and especially the choice to have an excess of something . . . or not!

I think that our systems may have different needs as I am always seeking a less high frequency listen and one item that you thought lacked highs I thought had more than enough of. I think the hollow silver is a very good source slug, it’s on the mellow side of neutral and has just a little less “push” to it. I really was happy with one in my P15 as well, and a Super Duper Sluggo (rhodium plated copper) seems just perfect for my amp as Mark suggested it would be.

The Graphene will probably be my final one until Mark comes out with a Quantum Unentangler Supreme Cosmic Sluggo.

1 Like

Oh, I have to get this one too.

1 Like

Hollow silver is what those class D amps need. That rhodium just gives too much edge.

1 Like

Maybe wait for the ultimate Higgs boson God Particle sluggo?

1 Like

I did try Rhodium/silver solid and hollow, as I recall the hollow was sounding on the “polite” side. Both sounded a bit layback in comparison to pure copper and gold/copper. These differences are more complicated to describe, but if I had to use one word that would be it.

I am not able to say one is a clear winner yet.

1 Like

I would also describe the hollow silver as “polite” in contrast to say the High Purity Copper Sluggo. In my system that really is a boon, I have only one in the system now, in the DSD DAC Mk II.

1 Like

I am sticking with my story, a copper variant is best.

Prove me wrong.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[Says the guy who has not tried anything else…]

Common! You need more sluggos to play. It’s like tube rolling; it’s fun!

3 Likes

Steven — I’m just reading through this thread, so don’t know yet if anything follows your comment. From discussions awhile back on Paul’s daily posts I came to respect your experience and thoughts. On this one, from a sound standpoint I think you are very mistaken. Whatever process they use and call it, QSA’s fuses and other items are fantastic, although damn expensive (the top QSA-Lanedri power cord goes for $20K). I use their middle of the line Red and Red-Black fuses throughout my system, and they are like adding a fairly high priced component (I got them at heavy discount when TweekGeek dumped his inventory to cut $30K of overhead). Those with the even higher end ones rave about them, as they do about the Jitter Plug and outlets. All are discussed on What’s Best Forum threads.

On balance, I didn’t prefer their low end power cable over my WyWires Diamonds, but the upper end ones that I can’t afford are reported to be fantastic by ears I trust. I’m also not liking the unexpected loss of a touch of warmth with the red-black fuse in my just-upgraded Lampi dac, which was there before the upgrade. In all other sonic dimensions, tho, the dac fuse’s improvements over OEM, let alone the SR and AM fuses I’ve heard are substantial (I haven’t heard the SR pink or Master, or the latest AM). But that aside, the others remain and I’m very happy with them. Of course, I wouldn’t mind finding similar or better results at a much lower cost, which is why I’m perusing this thread.

There are before and after videos of the top of the line QSA-Lanedri power cord on YouTube:
before: https://youtu.be/t0nGKLheDsI?si=62ltKBu6Wq4ve3qO
after: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpyEnfPTFJM

Btw, Lampi dac manuals may be unique in recognizing the use of aftermarket fuses as an option, with no warranty kill statement as long as the proper values are used.

Sorry, not on here much anymore… I’m running two SDFBs in my setup. I first tried one in my Lumin U2 and the results were definitely audible (a few different fuses proved no different than the stock glass one to me). Not nearly as good as inserting an LHY SW-10 switch into the chain, but audible none-the-less. But I really wanted to try one in my AV streamer though. It’s a Zidoo UHD3000 and I use it to play movie rips and concert rips off of my NAS array, as well as my multi-channel music dsf and wav files. So I ordered a 2nd one soon after and it made a bigger difference there for me. Probably due to it affecting ten (5.1.4 setup) speakers instead of just two? Phasing was notably improved as were dynamics. Again, nothing crazy different, just better and most importantly, more enjoyable. Center channel dialog is even more crisp and closer to the seating area. I’ve been watching Desolation of Smaug and happened to be right at the scene when Bilbo was walking on all of the gold coins in the mountain. The ching/clanking sound as Bilbo walked across the gold and it slid down the pile, was almost jarring! It was so much crisper up top now instead of sounding more ‘dull’ (you don’t know what you’ve got until you hear better). We both really liked it!
The only issue with these things is their current limitation (pun intended). I have to keep experimenting with fuses in my subwoofer (15A) and multi-channel amp (20A) since the SDFB can only be programmed to 10A.
I may, at some point order a couple of differing metal cylinders off of Ali to see if there is a change in tonailty but I’m in no rush. Both of mine came with Super Sluggos and the short power cables (pig tails, I think?). I agree that they’re definitely not using legit Furutech but I do own a couple of other PCs with fake/knock-off Furutech connectors and the ones on these short PCs have a significantly tighter fit on my receptacles. In fact, they fit about as tight as my Audio Sensibility Statement PCs with Furutech connectors. So I’m happy about that… If I were to rate the SDFB for it’s price, audible improvement and overall value, I’d give it 6.5/10 (maybe a 7) in my Lumin U2 and an 8/10 in my Zidoo. It seems the louder you crank things, the more audible/apparent they become (not unlike most any other upgrade). I have no fears of anything bad happening while they’re in place. It’s no different than fear of a fuse which could fail to do it’s job until it’s too late.

2 Likes

I’ve had the Snubway in the same wall outlet that my P15 is plugged in to for 60 plus hours now.

It has really settled in and I am enjoying a surprising “good kind” of smoothness and a presentation a little more behind the speakers, both of which are welcome. Bass is a bit fuller and overall I’m very pleased with what this device has brought, more than I anticipated.

1 Like