Synergistic Research Quantum SR20 fuses

I’m happy with the Quantum chips so no interest in trying the fuses without them.

I moved from hi fi tuning fuses to the SR 20 fuses and found a big jump in performance. Another jump in performance in moving to the Red fuses. I couldn’t go back to the hi fi tuning fuses. I don’t feel I have lost any performer as the fuses have broken in.

One query, does anyone know the flow of electricity through the internal fuse on the P10? Does it run from front of unit to the back or vice versa. The Synergistic Research fuses seem to work best when the current flows against the way the writing is on the outside of the fuse. Hence my query, to ensure I orient the fuse in its holder to continue this flow.

sheridd2 said -----------

I also kept the same orientation as the SR 20, with the writing back to front.

---------

yes, reverse orientation is better, but leaner

Great to hear the chipped fuses work great in your system!

When I transferred my old 5 mm chip fuse it got damaged slightly. Checked with vendor and got a 6 mm normal fuse size. Applied it today and re-oriented the fuse as it appeared to be the wrong way round.

I’m assuming with the internal fuse holder and ic inlet at the back of the P10 and the majority of the electronic in the middle then the current flow must be from back of unit to the front. I changed the fuse to read back to front, after adding the new chip fuse, still retaining the old chip fuse.

Music sounds more real, better dynamics, timbre, blacker backgrounds, more detail. Imaging improved, Greater difference between left and right channels.

CD I played, Daughter -If You Leave, debut album, poorly recorded, in a loft. I got more ambience of the loft, more detail coming through, better separation between the speakers, I could hear clearly how the reverb was added to the voice and how it died away, best I have heard this cd.

Really pleased with the results.

I always enjoy those moments when new audible aspects emerge after a modification. The new musical information adds new nuances and insights and sucks me into the music all that much more.

This ‘feeds’ my ‘in the moment’ appreciation of the music (HB&W and T3), and my mind also cranks up it’s analytic and evaluatory processes as well. So both sides of my head get ‘tickled’ at the same time.

Sort of a double delightful experience!

JJ

Just to add to the discussion, I already have 13A SR Red fuses in my P10 and Chord power amp cables (UK 1" fuses). Everything that has been said already I agree with: they are the best sounding fuses of all that I have tried. Curiously, I use them all in the direction of the writing, i.e. input side is on the left as you read the writing. They took a few days to give their best performance.

I now have a 3.15A 20mm SR Red fuse on order for the P10’s rear panel to replace the current Hi-Fi Tuning one. Hopefully that will arrive soon.

For all other system fuses I have settled on the very good AMR Gold fuses at less than half the price of the SR Reds. They sound great and better the Hi-Fi Tunings, something of a bargain if you have as many fuses to replace as we have in the UK.

IMG_8361.PNG

Hi all. I am still not sure about correct orientation of SR fuses. When you know the current flow direction in the fuse holder, what is recommended orientation, see image, A or B?

I installed some SR Black fuses a while back. The instructions said to try the fuses both ways for a short time, then complete the break-in using the direction that sounded better. You can use the writing to keep track of which way is which, but the writing does not indicate the preferred direction. Not sure if this applies to your fuses, but it probably wouldn’t hurt anything to do it this way.

magister said

. . . the writing does not indicate the preferred direction.

My impression is that the writing direction is also random; that is, it does not indicate anything one way or the other about the orientation of anything in the fuse. Of course, if your specific fuse manufacturer indicates otherwise go with what they state.

I would sooner have believed that Mr Ed can really talk than that a fuse has a sound but here’s what happened:
Blew a fuse in my preamp----my fault. Ordered a couple Synergistic Blue’s. While waiting for delivery, I bought one from the electrical supply house, labeled “fuse”. Played my system for hours until I took the pre out and just used the DSD.
Then the fuse that I paid 10,000 times more for showed up and the sound improvement was just stunning. Truly.

Mr. Ed cannot really talk?

1 Like

oh god—same feeling when I came clean about Santa thinking (wrongly of course) that Greg was ready…
I’m sorry buddy.