Synergistic Research Quantum SR20 fuses

Guys, get ready to sell your SR20’s.

I just received my SR Red fuse this morning and put it in my P10 power cord, as the P10 is the first I’m my hi Fi / home cinema chain and so far only has about an hour playing so very early days.

I also kept the same orientation as the SR 20, with the writing back to front.

I played extracts from 3 cd’s.

I noticed the following improvements, better timbre of instruments, I found I was following the individual plucking of acoustic guitar strings. Electric guitar strumming became more percussive. Press release says the sound is more ‘civilised’. I found the music seemed to make more sense, I got a better ‘picture’ of the overall sound, macro dynamics. Background appeared are more silent allowing more detail to come through

Bass is better too with more texture to the notes, treble extended as well.

I found I was enjoying the music more too.

Definitely impressed and i’l be buying more for the remainder of my kit, hopefully have these by next weekend and installed.

What size and type of fuse is it?

It’s a mains plug fuse. I’m in the UK so it’s designed to fit UK plugs, 13 amp, 240 volts, but as it’s a US company there are US versions too, check their website.

There’s also internal fuses available as well so I’d like to update my P10 internal fuse. Anyone remember if the P10 internal fuse is a slow blow or fast blow type? I seem to remember it’s a slow blow but I’d like to confirm before ordering one.

US: 5 amp, 250 volt, 5mm/20mm, Slow-Blow

UK and AU: 3 amp 250 volt, 5mm/20mm, Slow-Blow

Elk, is that for the p10 or the DS? What size and type for the DS?

Elk that is for the DS USA spec

Had my Red fuse in now about 30 hours. Noticed tonight the timing is spot on after a few songs played, about 15 minutes. This is the fastest ever. System is ready to boogie really quickly.

You get used to the sound really quickly and it’s hard to give specifics on how the sound is improving.

More fuses are on the way to me, hopefully have them by the middle of this week for the remainder of the system.

I’l have to wait a little longer for the P10 internal fuse as my seller doesn’t have it in stock and UK distributor is on holiday.

But loving the sound with only the one Red fuse already.

First disc tonight was Fleetwood Mac early hits, good recording, sounded great really quickly. Currently with ‘the 1975’, recording a bit brash, but the system is reproducing it really well, more civilised but I don’t feel i’m loosing anything, especially the top end, sounds right.

dew1551 said Elk that is for the DS USA spec
Not according to the P10 manual. :) See toward the bottom of page 8.

I do not know what is fused. There is also a circuit breaker.

There’s a little slot just around, above, the P10 on / off switch. Using a philips screwdriver opens the ‘compartment’ and the internal fuse can be removed. It’s 3 amp for the UK version, slow blow fuse. I already replaced the standard one with a SR 20 version previously. Looking to upgrade the SR 20 to a Red version.

Forgot to mention in original post on the SR Red install that I transferred my WA Quantum fuse chip over the the new Red fuse.

My internal fuse also has Quantum chip on it which I will also transfer over the the new Red one when I get it.

Tried the Red fuse round the other way in the mains plug, ie with the writing the correct way. It was a lot closer than with the SR 20 but the music was a bit louder, the notes seemed to thicken up slightly, lost their delicacy so i’ll be happy to revert back to the writing being reversed.

Done the test so i’ll be happy to stay with the inverted writing and install the remainder, when they come, the same way into the rest of my kit.

Back with the fuse in with the writing reversed, definitely the best way I’m my system. Music much tighter, more focused, bass deeper and tighter, it just has a rightness about it now, a pleasure to listen too.

Can’t wait to add the remainder in now.

dew1551 said Elk that is for the DS USA spec
The US DS takes two 1 amp slo blo 5/20mm fuses. Same as the PWD. Not sure if it is the same with 220 volt units.

A good read, from Audio Asylum; Tweakers’ Asylum Audiophile Grade Fuses.

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=tweaks&m=194635

And this one gets funny towards the end.

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=tweaks&m=194730

~D

Received my remaining RED fuses for the rest of my hi fi and home cinema kit.

Had them installed now for about a week and I’ve been using the hi fi more than the home cinema.

Benefits on the hi-fi, more silent background, allowing more detail through, better dynamics and better timing.

I’ve no doubt the fuses will continue to improve with burn in.

Still waiting on the internal fuse for the P10, that will complete my conversion to the Red fuses.

One other observation, I had left out my blu-ray player out of the SR20 / Red fuses updates.

I took one of the SR20 fuses no longer being used and replaced a Hi Fi Tuning fuse with it in the blu-ray player.

I got a brighter, more vivid, better saturated picture which I was surprized and very happy with.

Maybe one day I’ll get a Red fuse for the blu-ray player?

did you put them in a directstream? how do you confirm the correct direction?

Er, I don’t have a Directstream, I’m sticking with my Chord Red Reference cd player.

When I got my first Red fuse, I tried it both ways in my P10, I preferred it, like the SR-20’s , with the writing reversed, when looking at the fuse.

I assumed the same for the remaining pieces of kit that I have updated, very happy with the upgrades.

Interesting, looking forward further comparison “SR20 vs Red” Fuse

Hi … not really much more I can add. I’ve had the Red fuses in now at least three weeks. The last one went in last week, the internal fuse for the P10.

I can’t really remember now exactly how the SR-20 fuses sounded. My impressions of the Red over the SR-20’s is, blacker back grounds resulting in allowing more detail through, better timbre of instruments, better treble and better bass, more depth and slam.

Overall, definitely a worthwhile improvement over the SR-20’s and not sorry I upgraded.

The benefits were definitely worth the additional expense.

Plus I updated my home cinema amp and processor with the new Red fuses so enjoying similar benefits there.

I had a WA-Quantum fuse attached to my P10 SR-20 internal fuse which got slightly damaged in the transfer tot he Red so currently waiting on a replacement for the chip fuse to arrive.

how it sounded without quantum chip ???

My experience with fuses is that they sound different to broke in fuses when they are new. When they broke in they sound close to each other no matter which brand. I started to test fuses around 5 years back. I have a bunch of 20 or 30 fuses that I don’t use anymore. When fuses are new they are less smooth and have bigger impuls strenght to music. I think many of us are impressed by the presentation of a new fuse.

Please try this burn in your new fuses a few months and then buy a new fuse of the older type that you have replaced. I’m pretty sure you will be impressed by your old new fuse.

Fuses will smoothen when they are broke in and the points we liked so much about the particular fuse will fade out.

The only fuses that will keep a particular caracteristic are the fuses with the quantum chip, but I don’t like them in my installation.

I would go for a gold platted sand filled fuse. Sand in the fuse will give you a solid base and the goldplated parts are for long term low resistance.

My quess the the standard Hifi tuning are the best you can buy for the money.