Synergistic Research Quantum SR20 fuses

oddeophile said: Picture and overweight kid in a candy store with unlimited funds and you'd get the picture how I was responding to what I heard in my system. After my "sugar rush" I was experiencing, I found it difficult to drift off into neverland.

=))

sheridd2 said: This thread is becoming more of a WA Quantum chip thread than Synergistic Research fuse thread. Should we start a new one or continue to keep this one running?

Continue away!

Threads are conversations. They naturally move from one related topic to another.

I suggest a new thread only if the existing thread is busy addressing a topic and a wholly unrelated new topic is interjected and intermixes. This can get messy . . .

@Sheridd2

the quantum chips are round dots. There is no way to make them directional. You’ll see when you receive them. As a reminder - the fuse chips are small. Really small.

Super the 3.15 amp fuse will work fine in your P10. You’ll enjoy them.

As Elk said, yeah, threads can worm their way around quite a bit. In this case, we’re discussing both SR20 fuses and WA Quantum chips.

Enjoy!

Odd

@elk

I have my moments… few and very far between. BTW, my sugar rush has definitely added weight. That candy store is dangerous!

Odd

I presume the WA Quantum fuse chips have their logo on them? They could either be placed with logo able to read, left to right, or logo upside down, which would invert the direction?

I know the speaker chips, and I presume cable chips, could be inverted as these are rectangular and display the WA Quantum logo and hence can be inverted.

I don’t remember seeing in any of the reviews I’ve read of the WA Quantum chips anyone trying this, but all the SR 20 reviews mostly cover changing the direction of the fuses.

David

@Sheridd2

Yes, they have a tiny logo but you will see when you put them on the fuse (I put them on the fuse barrel, not the end cap, although you can use them on the end cap). They are not directional from anything (or the directions that come with the fuse chips) stated in company info. I placed them the same way on each fuse by holding the ends of the fuse between a finger and thumb and placed the chip on the side of the fuse barrel around the other side from where the SR 20 is written on the side of the fuse, only so I can easily see directionality of the fuse when I place them back in their holder(s). I am certain I did not put all the chips facing up on the side. Believe me, unless you are used to dealing with micro sized components you are not going to control how you put the chip on side of the fuse! I mean it when I say these things are TINY. Especially the 20mm version. Just stick 'em on and go with the flow (no pun intended).

Yes, the cable and power chips are recatangular. I placed them right side up as previously noted on the mains panel in the four corners just above and below the circuit breakers.

From all I have read and seen, there is no directional nature to the chips. You can confirm with WQ Quantum. Nothing is written about that in the instructions for the power and cable chips, either.

Have fun!

Odd

Odd

Thanks for the update and explanation.

Still waiting on them to arrive, hoping to have them by Saturday.

I should get my P10 internal fuse by Saturday as well but I’ve still to order the chip for it.

I’ll wait and see how the chips I’ve ordered work out and if positive, as I expect, I’ll order more cable chips, probably the speaker chips, and the 5mm fuse chip for the internal fuse.

No point paying full postage for just one small chip.

David

What I would do is put the SR 20’s in (reversed) first for a few days and get a handle on the sonic improvements/changes and then remove and put the Quantum chips on them. That’s what I did and presumably, in the Stereo Times review of the Quantum chips, so did the reviewer with the fuses he was using at the time.

I did not use the speaker chips as they are really hard to place from what I have read. Even very small changes in placement on the speaker made positive or negative results. It is best to attach the fuse with a small piece of tape so its easily removed on the speakers until you have exact placement. Unless you are willing to spend a lot of quality time with placing the speaker chips, which I don’t have, then I’d pass on them. The Audiogon forum comments regarding the speaker chips were difinitely stating the most “bang for your buck” so to speak is in the fuse chips.

Having said that, I found an extraordinary (well, for me anyway) improvement after I had the fuse chips in for a week or two, by adding the Power/Cable chips to the mains box as I noted, and attaching two Shakti EMR Stones topside facing in on the outside of the mains panel door (affixed with Quake Hold which works beautifully), than anything else. As I mentioned in an earlier post that combination dropped my incoming AC distortion to 1.0-1.6% at the worst and I just tracked it showing 1.1% on both my P10’s from my iPhone. That made such an audible improvement I was shocked. All the more noticeable due to having previously installed the SR 20 fuses + Quantum chips in all my equipment. It really showed what changes upstream made.

Odd

oddeophile said: As I mentioned in an earlier post that combination dropped my incoming AC distortion to 1.0-1.6% at the worst and I just tracked it showing 1.1% on both my P10's from my iPhone.

Now we have something measurable. It's getting interesting...

I don’t want to spoil measurements party, but would be careful with incoming power distortion measurements - it can vary very much :slight_smile:

Here you can see my own incoming distortion today:

that’s more like what mine looked like in terms of % almost all the time: 2.5-3%+.

Sonically, its more than amazing what the improvements are. Interestingly, Shakti was not at all surprised by my findings when I discussed this with them. The phenomenon is very well known to them. Interestingly, the pointed out to me its actually in their instruction/usage manual that comes with the stones that the likliest largest sonic improvements come from using them on/near the mains AC panel and incoming/outgoing AC cabling.

BTW, a visual verification on my KURO PRO151 plasma showed me what my ears heard. My panel is dramatically more dimensional in the image than ever before, since I added the stones to the AC mains panel cover. Everything is far more lifelike in every way. Truly an amazing improvement.

Odd

Odd

Got my P10 internal SR 20 fuse today and installed. Just want to make sure it’s installed with the correct orientation.

With the fuse holder pulled out I have inserted the SR 20 fuse into the holder with the writing the wrong way. Is this correct for the P10 so that the fuse is aligning with how we have them installed in the mains plug, i.e. with the writing the wrong way round.

regards,

David

David,

I believe that is correct. the “20” should be at the cap end and the “SR” end inserted into the fuse holder.

Odd

Odd

From what you describe above it sounds like the writing is the correct way round, i.e. left to right?

Just to be sure, when I pull out the fuse holder, I have the fuse inserted into the fuse holder with the writing back to front. I then re-inserted it back again into the P10.

regards,

David

Odd

PS … I’m still waiting on my Quantum fuse chips, ordered 8 days ago now, hopefully within the next few days.

David,

I am left handed so everything you do will be backwards from me… :))

The cap end of the fuse and fuse holder is the input side of the fuse. So, your fuse should be inserted so the fuse is upside down to you with the fuse en that is closest to the “20” on the fuse slipped into the cap. That way, the fuse is inserted for best sound (AC current flowing from the cap end to the chassis end, and from the “20” end of the fuse to the “SR”" end of the fuse as written on the barrel of the fuse itself.

Give it some time to settle in at the beginning, at least several hours of being on before giving first audition. From there about 10 days or so to fully break in (constant power).

Odd

Odd

I’m left handed too so we should be singing from the same hymn sheet.

From your latest description it sounds like I have it correct.

I take out the fuse holder, insert the fuse back to front, (i.e. writing the wrong way round), into the fuse holder and re-insert the fuse holder back into the P10.

Had it running like this a few hours now, sounding pretty good but so far doesn’t seem a big jump from my HiFi Tuning Supreme fuse but I’ll be keeping it, just to align with all the SR 20 fuses I have in my system now.

I keep my P10 powered up all the time so constant power isn’t an issue.

David

Excellent. Give 'em time and let us know how it goes. You should note a fairly big jump after about 5-7 days or so, if I recall.

Odd

Odd

A bit disappointed, so far, with the SR20 internal fuse.

With the mains fuses I noticed a big jump in performance pretty quickly when I changed the direction of them to reverse direction.

After 4 hours or so yesterday I changed the direction of the internal fuse so that the writing on the fuse could be read, (left to right). I ran the fuse like this for another 4 hours or so.

There didn’t seem to be much difference in the sound with the direction changed.

I have my P10, between a year and eighteen months. I replaced the fuse that came with it pretty quickly to the Hi Fi tuning Supreme fuse. Reading about the WA Quantum fuse chips I know the Supreme is / was treated with a Quantum fuse. I’m not sure how far back this process was started.

But my system seems to have lost the ‘relaxed’ quality to the music that was there before with the Supreme fuse in place.

I will be getting a 5 mm Quantum fuse for my new SR20 internal fuse so hoping I can get this quality back into the system, even more so when my Quantum mains fuses chips arrive too.

I’m still waiting on these.

Give, 'em time. They have not been in long enough yet. The chips will make a next step difference in grain reduction, sound staging, etc. Listening to my system last evening before retiring for the night, I once again marvelled at the timing, relaxed, open qualities from the fuses/chips. They will sound tight and a bit funky for several days. After several weeks they settle to what I find is superb PRAT qualities.

Odd

Indeed, I too noticed a lack of softness, simplified description, when first installing hi fi fuses but 5 days fixed that. I would expect similar burn in with any fuse