Synergistic Research Quantum SR20 fuses

Odd

Finally got my Quantum fuse chips today.

Got them installed, I went for putting them on the end caps. The end caps are flat whereas the barrel is round. I thought I could get a better tighter fit on the end, no roll to contend with, concerned about adhesive not being strong enough to permanently stick on the barrel roll.

They seem designed to be put on the end caps as well as the chips are exactly the diameter of the end cap. I had no problem attaching them perfectly to the caps.

I’ve got the system up and running again but with the P10 internal fuse only changed on Monday this week that is still burning in too, it’ll take a while for everything to burn in.

I’ve also bought 3 cable chips and I’m planning on putting one on my P10 power cord and the other two on my speaker cables. Planning to wait for about a week to evaluate how the system is sounding with the fuse chips before adding the cable chips.

I’ll keep you posted with my observations when the system settles in.

Rail fuses work well being on the end cap. Other fuse applictions not so much as the chip interferes with the end cap surface for signal flow. As WA Quantum stated to me, anywhere on the fuse (cap or barrel) works equally well. Give everything time to settle in now.

Enjoy!

Can’t resist posting initial impressions.

As I was waiting for the UPS man to collect something from the house I had the door open and the volume low to ensure I heard the door bell ring.

The SR20 internal fuse seems to be coming along very nicely, a big jump over the initial evening it was installed.

Extended sweet treble, great timing, I could hear reverb starting and stopping where it was added. Vocals, very natural and small, by this I mean it fitted it into the scale of the music, not huge and overblown. I could hear the big picture elements of the music, but at the same time lots of exquisite detail. Bass was great, well defined, tuneful and deep.

Lyrics very easy to follow, vocal harmonies, able to determine individual voices.

As mentioned above, volume level was low but I could still hear each aspect of the music clearly.

Not sure what the Quantum fuse chips were bringing to the party but I was really enjoying listening to the system.

I’ll get more fuse burn in and listening over the next few days and weekend.

Odd

On Quantum fuse chip placement, I wondered about placing the chip on the barrel, as no contact with the actual fuse wire itself, whereas placing the chip on the end cap this seems to me to have more contact with the actual fuse wire?

David

Received my 5 mm Quantum fuse chip for my P10 internal SR 20 fuse, only 2 days after ordering it.

It was sent by ‘un-tracked’ mail, whereas as my tracked Quantum order took a week and a half to arrive.

Quantum chip now added to internal P10 SR 20 fuse and P10 up and running, no listening done yet, later tonight.

That’s all my stereo equipment mains plugs now equipped with Synergistic Research SR 20 fuses and the Quantum fuse chips. Time to let them all settle in.

Indeed. Have fun over the next few days as all this changes and finally settles in. Listening last night once again reminded me of the joy these have brought.

Odd

Odd,

Would you please let me know the where about is the internal fuse for the North America P10? and what is the fuse value required? Thanks.

Is there an internal fuse for the P5 as well?

I replaced mine with the 5A SR 2.0 already plus all the AC receptacles and IEC inlet. Below are some photos of my two moded P10.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1E9EE25C017381D3!238&authkey=!AFdvP6dj-RhzHvQ&ithint=folder%2C.JPG

DTS

The P10 internal fuse is just above the IEC inlet for your power cord going into the P10 where is says Fuse.

You take a screwdriver to the indent and turn anticlockwise.

Once is goes past a certain point, not very far turning the screwdriver, you’ll see it pop out slightly.

Pull it out and you see the fuse holder and the fuse will be inserted into this.

In the UK version which I have it’s a 3 amp slow blow fuse.

Your P10 instruction manual will tell you what the rating is or if that’s not to hand then maybe Odd will chip in with the rating value?

Just pull out the supplied fuse and insert the new one, SR 20, I believe, then just insert the fuse holder back into the P10 and turn the screwdriver clockwise until it locks again.

I put mine in with the writing back to front, as I have in all my mains plugs where I swopped out the fuse to the SR 20.

You’ll see the fuse going back into the P10 when it hits a certain point as you turn the screwdriver.

regards,

sheridd2

I just received (after taking 10 days to get here) the 5mm fuse chips.

I’m listening to them, even as I type this, on my cheap speakers/amp just to see if I can notice anything this early in the ‘break-in’ process.

They do seem a bit more forward and bright, which on these $45 speakers seems to help, of course the electronics aren’t even warmed up yet, let alone settled in…

JJ

So it is just one fuse for the P10 then located at the back of the unit. When you guys refer to INTERNAL fuse, I though there is another fuse located on one of the circuit boards.

dts

Yes, that is the internal fuse as it resides inside the P10, as opposed to the mains plug fuse.

I would never contemplate opening up a P10.

sheridd2

I wonder what size fuse is in the DirectStream Dac?

20mm

J.P.

So, 5mm x 20mm, but at what rating, and are there 2 of them as in the PWD?

I figure the tweak-0-fuse makers might be a tad interested… :smiley:

And on another note…

These WA-Q ‘chips’ I’ve added to my SR20’s seem to add more cohesion to each ‘voice’.

It sounds like better time alignment (less jitter) even though this is a change made to the AC power input.

The net effect sounds the ‘same’, or nearly so.

What I notice is more (broadband) inner detail, which yields greater bass extension, but mostly because the acoustic energy is more cohesive to itself, which yields a greater degree of reinforcement (or coupling, as I like to think of it) of the energy spectrum in its ‘proper’ place.

Another way of perceiving/describing this would be that the slew rate just took a mother may I step up.

But with this increase in the speed of voltage ‘reaction’ comes 2 additional things.

1. more resolution because of the improvement due to the increase in resolution of the small signal dynamics. (more voltage domain accuracy)

2. better time alignment (more cohesion of each ‘voice’) because the voltage has more resolution at any moment in time as the pieces are put back together.

I’ve noticed these sorts of changes during my other explorations in tunes, most notably when the power feeding the amp, and to a lessor degree the DAC was ‘improved’.

The changes made then were much more pronounced than what these WA-Q ‘chips’ provide, but they are noticeable and they aren’t fully settled it yet. So the total amount of change may yet increase.

And at $7.50 each is a bargain for the net gain already achieved.

In short it could be thought of that these chips ‘speed’ up the energy delivery at the the fuse, which is the only single choke point for all of our sound in the amp and DAC. Somehow, they help the power supply do its job of delivering voltage and current, ‘better’.

So I figure the next round of chips should be aimed at the xfmr’s and cables.

Does anyone have any advice about a ‘better’ order or selection of chips for the next step?

Yeah these are keepers.

JJ :smiley:

My post above should have been:

20mm :smiley:

Ribbing Gordon with the obvious but useless answer. :slight_smile:

J.P.

@wingsounds13

I actually have no idea what fuses are in it and if one or two.

given the dramatic changes inside the box, it could be a number of options.

I wonder why actual breakers are not used? seems to me a more secure connection. Would save me $100 in fuses too.

Yes, I get it. My guess is that there are at least two fuses as the digital and analog sections are religiously separated and have separate power supplies. Possibly even the same rating as those in the PWD. Still, word from the creators would be useful.

J.P.

wingsounds13 said: Yes, I get it. My guess is that there are at least two fuses as the digital and analog sections re religiously separated and have separate power supplies. Possibly even the same rating as those in the PWD. Still, word from the creators would be useful.

YES it would be good to know.
I could not tell from the pics or the white paper.

@wingsounds13

Howdy

For a bit it wasn’t obvious to me that you might be asking about the DirectStream.

The only change to the power supply board is the transformer.

We’d hoped to only have to swap out the digital and analog card, but the difference in sound with a different transformer seemed worth the extra hassle. And, no, I don’t know if the different power transformers would make a difference in the PWD :slight_smile:

-Ted

Same PS with a different transformer… Same (2A) fuse rating or different?

J.P.