Synergistic Research Quantum SR20 fuses

Hehe

I spoke to my Oracle about cables n such and he explained it all very clearly.

problem is I am not allowed to tell anyone.

the Oracle can be reached at (1-900-answers you did not expect.)

Gordon, I tried listening in the downward dog position and experienced profound revelations!

I have always enjoyed these forums because their friendly and accommodating nature, in no small part due to the admirable personalities that guide discussions. This is in contrast to the audio lynch mob mentality of a couple of other forums I no longer even read, which attempt to belittle and humiliate anyone with a perception, among the most subjective of things. I truly hope that this thread doesn’t become the same - personally, I have moved beyond a need to justify perceptions to others, but I would feel for those trying to find their way in audio for the first time.

What I will object to is the use of currently understood objective parameters to discount an observation. That is fundamentally un-scientific. Science begins with an observation, and all manner of testing serves to understand that observation. It is not the other way around; that is to say, measurements don’t discount the observation.

Because audio is fundamentally perceptive, I must admit that the placebo effect is an admissible hypothesis for what I observe. But that does not make the observation any less real. We can only experience through perception; what is perceived is real. If listening in the downward dog position does it for you, then good - it is not my place nor within my abilities to discredit that.

As for the topic in this thread, I have mixed experiences with the SR 20 fuses. In my nCore amps, I notice a large difference in direction of the fuses, although I have found I much prefer them with the SR part of the label nearest the input side of the fuse holder. I hear slight differences in position in my P5 powerplant, but strangely with the preferred position opposite to that in my amps. In the DS, I don’t think I can make out a difference at all, and I have given up trying.

IMO, humor and irony is an important part of human communication.

Lately, I don’t know who’s got less - audio objectivists or subjectivists, and it seems that the joy of enjoying music in the good spirits of others has gone by the wayside.

Gentlemen, this stuff isn’t life or death, , really, and as a professional jazz guitarist as well as a trained electronics technician I’m closer to the reality of the art than many and have earned my view over much effort and several decades of work.

Namaste.

rfajardo

I called Germany [Hi-Fi Supremes} and he said that directionality was important but that “manufacturing differences” did not enable him to express which way might be “better”.

I tried both ways in my PWD but ddid not hear a difference. I realized afterwards that the 2 PWD/DS fuses adds variables to the test process so I gave up since the Supremes DID make a noticeable and desirable difference compared to the stock PSA fuses.

Re the other point.

I do agree that conceptual thinking is hugely important and perhaps “the” most important trigger in our human evolution. Without it we might still be living in caves and eating raw meat. [Perhaps with live music though].music-078_gif

We are fortunate to have a good group of members here who encourage, enjoy or at least tolerate some interesting curve balls that slip in to the foray. It is important to encourage and contribute to the extrapolation of conceptual ideas and to discuss them in ways that do not demean or discourage those who share them simply because they do not presently share the same view. It is reasonable for someone who is uncomfortable in contributing to the extrapolations, to see where they might lead for the pure fun of it, to remark in a humorous manner and without intended malice. It is an important first step. Conceptual and abstract thinking promotes synaptic activity and turns on new brain cells.

I find it interesting that most will recognize that their “today” perspectives have morphed from even their recent history due to new knowledge or personal experiences BUT for some, it is difficult to also realize that the future will bring more morphing, for the same reasons, as well as NEW TRUTHS that they will then defend as the ONLY “today” truth.

It does make life interesting and we are all on slightly different journeys and at totally different milestones on those journeys.

It is up to us to “appreciate and learn” from these differences.

I hear what you are sayin’ and largely agree, particularly on the life/death thing. I am a big fan of humor (I can laugh at myself with the best of 'em), although I would not want someone to feel an outcast if it were over used.

In my line of work, I deal a bit with pain (not mine). There is an instinct to believe that an individual may be crazy if no objective source for their pain can be found. It is not uncommon to catch myself using humor behind closed doors in relation to such individuals. Humor in this way is a form of humiliation, based on disbelief. You can imagine how that person may feel if they overheard my joke. Certainly, in audio we are not dealing with anything this heavy, but there are some similarities, particularly my inherent inability to understand, quantify, measure, or justify that person’s claim. I must accept it as real, because that person perceives it to be so. Of course this excludes the deceitful whose motive is some form of gain, however, there is no way to prove this in most cases.

I see where you are coming from and accept your comments. I would just hate to marginalize individuals for perceiving something we may not understand, be able to measure, or have experienced ourselves.

Personally, I didn’t find downward dog to change much, but the bridge pose, now that’s revelatory… Sorry if that marginalizes anyone out there.

Gordon, missed your comment before I replied. I’ll just say you are one of the guys I respect around here and make the forum what it is. I read your remarks above with interest.

drinking-39_gifHey, it is a group effort and also a testament to our fearless leader who allows us to play here.

funny how" our brains work.

Not only do they churn up logic based on limited,but our own, current data and experience, but they also expend remarkable energy attempting to “justifying” this present view as if sanity (or ego) depended on it.

often people throw in a disclaimer at the end of a "counter-post in an attempt to soften the acidity in their comment. this may help a bit but it also tends to dilute any serious consideration of their argument.2guns_gif

THe aliens who watch us on their reality tv pgms must have a good laugh on us.giggle_gifhappy-082_gif

gordon said

I called Germany [Hi-Fi Supremes} and he said that directionality was important but that “manufacturing differences” did not enable him to express which way might be “better”.

Good for him! This is remarkably honest and straight forward for a manufacturer of tweaks of this type.

Their 99% silver impregnated with 1% gold is a vastly better conductor that that used in an average fuse. This may matter. The ceramic casing may control vibration better than glass. Cryogenic treatment does physically change metals and may have an impact. All real world stuff.

But then, unfortunately, he stills relies on marketing-speak: “proprietary quantum level process.” Argh.

8/10

Yes… well… hopefully there is no perceived acid in my comments here. For the record, I am merely defending a principle rather than an argument. I don’t think an individual’s perception of an audible difference can be easily discredited, but, on the other hand, I think it would be very unwise to abandon reason and skepticism when it comes to the truly outrageous.

The problem is, how do we know what is outrageous? Answers may come with research, but I don’t see a lot money being dumped into things like the audible effects of fuse orientation.

And this is where I agree with Audiobill most wholeheartedly… let’s just enjoy the darned music.

rfajardo said I don't think an individual's perception of an audible difference can be easily discredited, but, on the other hand, I think it would be very unwise to abandon reason and skepticism when it comes to the truly outrageous.
Fully agreed on both. Ted and I both commented on this early on. We all hear what we hear, placebos included.
The problem is, how do we know what is outrageous?
Through the judicious application of knowledge.

It is not utterly outrageous to claim a fuse sounds different when reversed. We have had a good productive discussion of how this is both unlikely, but possible. It is reasonable for a manufacturer to state, “We experience this but do not know why it is.”

It is however ludicrous to claim this is because of monocrystals, quantum tunneling, a teleportation tweak, Voodoo or similar. These claims are objectively complete nonsense. They succeed however as the general populace has little practical knowledge of these concepts. This is sadly similar to the success of medical quackery in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. We laugh now, but people believed them then. Quacksters took advantage of this gullibility, at times with tragic results.

Of course, a fuse manufacturer could have access to knowledge and technology which will revolutionize our understanding of the physical world. If so, I wish he would stop playing with cheap little fuses and win a Noble prize in physics.

1 Like

I wonder if the average A’phile actually cares about the “magical” potions that are claimed by some, or are just caught up in what we all suffer from, “upgradeitus” and their willingness to try new stuff.

We have all at least tested something that others deep ridiculous and the fun is in the excitement if something actually causes an epiphany of difference. It can be puzzling though if a few days later we are unable to enjoy the same glee when in the company of a friend who does NOT hear the same diff. In that case it was at least, fun while it lasted.

I do admit to experiencing some differences with cables, fuses, and certain isolation devices but I think that most of my optimism for the more “magical” tweaks is more in line with basic curiosity and just having some fun. If I hear it you can have my Ben Franklins, if not… We had a lot of fun, now let’s go have a beer.

For anyone who’s willing to indulge the possibility of fuse directionality and interested in my recommendation I found pointing the arrows toward the front of the DAC to be the ticket with both fuses.

Though I’m not sure whether recommend the upgrade the fuses. The stock fuses are not cheap generic fuses. They look similar to standard HiFi Tuning (without the logo). Although I don’t detect the harsh edge I’ve experienced with HiFi Tuning in other components. I’m not sure what they are, but appear to be decent fuses.

1 Like

Great info.

It is very helpful when a problem is solved or a conclusion reached and it is added to a thread for the next person.

Elk now has the power to edit, delete, create, move threads around … just sayin’ 105_gif

With all the good and bad this implies in the hooves of a neophyte.

It’s hard enough to push the correct little key on the keyboard.

Paul McGowan said Elk now has the power to edit, delete, create, move threads around ... just sayin'

Just noticed Synergistic Research has a new (better) fuse out called the RED. Info from their website :-

When compared to our award winning SR20 Quantum Fuses, SR RED Fuses sound more refined with smoother highs and more linear frequency extension from the deepest bass to the highest highs; no small feat given the remarkable performance of our original SR20 Quantum Fuses.

Has anyone tried them yet? We’ve all had good results with the SR 20’s, these should be even better?

I’m sure I’ll get some and see … they come with a 30 day money back guarantee.

I want the red too music-078_gif

~D

Welcome, ipdtt!

Be sure to let us know what you hear if you pick some up.