System Photos!

3 Likes

2 Likes

Been tweaking subwoofer positions and settings a bit more. Getting better and better all the time.

3 Likes

Hey @jazznut, the wall in question to which the turntable is mounted to is:

1. Load bearing
  2. Built with studs on 12" centers with plentiful crossbracing
  3. Surfaced with 5/8" drywall glued over 5/8" OSB

The 43’x70’ suspended floors of our hundred+ year old 3 story brick building are supported only at their perimeter and along a central line of 8"x8" Douglas Fir piers and joists which bisect the 70’ length. The first floor is wide open commercial retail space with our loft occupying the second floor and about half of the third. So we are left with otherwise unsupported 22’x70’ spans of (saggy) these suspended floors. Even with my rack backed up against a wall in the media room which sits directly along that load bearing central pier and joist row, the wall in question is MUCH less prone to seismic disturbance than the nearby floor.

As for my Grand Prix Audio Brooklands turntable wall mount install, well there is no glass to be found anywhere in it’s construction- LOL! Click through to the link I’ve provided to the stealthy custom install of the wall mount and see specifically why I chose it over a more generic Target, Apollo, Rega, etc welded steel and MDF shelf wall mount. I can assure you that the GPA wall mount’s decoupled composite sub-chassis and tensioned stainless steel rod design along with the upgraded GPA Formula carbon & kevlar isolation shelf minimizes any tendency towards resonance.

2 Likes

Great, I see you nailed it! Looked like glass on the picture…

1 Like

Yeah @jazznut, that was just due to all the reflections off the shiny carbon finish, the Oracle’s acrylic plinth, and most of all- my sh*tty photographic skills!

And then there was the Martin Logan SL3…

9 Likes

You know @Chops, with a 6’ tall tube trap in the corner behind each loudspeaker doing double duty sucking up modal mid-bass excess and intercepting/diffusing the stat’s back wave, those Martin Logan’s could be the best sounding speaker you’ve had in your room. The dipole line-source radiation pattern of those speakers essentially eliminates floor and ceiling reflections and when the speakers are toed properly it minimizes sidewall reflections.

Years ago I had a pair of ML Aerius, (the SL3’s talented smaller sibling) in a similar sized apartment living room which was cursed with concrete floors and walls. The Aerius positively sang in the same room that same room which made any conventional dynamic stand mount or small floorstander sound crap. And it did this with only a cheezy pair of Michael Greene’s “Room Tunes” in the corners behind the loudspeakers.

The SL3 is a great speaker! Enjoy! Looks like they have a custom finish

Yes, room treatments of sorts are definitely in order, but they’re on the back burner.

If anyone has noticed a slight increase in frequency of my postings, it’s because I’ve been home off of work the past two weeks, not due to anything COVID related, but because I’m on workers comp since a big heavy pallet at work wanted to reside in the same floor space as my right big toe. That day I found out that I really do have a heart, as I could easily feel it beating in my right big toe! I also continued to work on it for two full days before throwing in the rag.

Anyway, workers comp pay isn’t spectacular, so funding tweaks for the system are on pause.

But yes, I do want to put some kind of treatments in this room. I was originally going to go with GIK, since their products, prices and customer support are great, BUT… This room is already small and using their products would only make the room smaller.

Since you mentioned Michael Greene, I checked out his site. Seems that his products are effective, they’re a small form factor compared to others, and the pricing is great, so I’ll probably go with his room treatments. If anything, that will get me into the ballgame and give me a taste of what’s possible with room treatments.

Thanks for the indirect product suggestion. :wink:

Thank you sir. Those are actually the stock walnut wood trim. I think it’s just the overhead lighting that makes them look a little different.

Hi @Chops, GIK Acoustics room treatments are a massive improvement over anything Michael Greene is currently or has ever flogged. Don’t waste your money on Greene’s RoomTune products. For those back corners, ideally a floor-to-ceiling stack of GIKs TriTraps corner bass traps with the optional Scatter Plate upgrade would be the cost-effective way to go.

Again though, it has to do with the overall bulk of the GIK products and price. Either way, it’s not going to be anytime soon when I can do any of it, and the room doesn’t sound all that bad to begin with. In fact, it’s the best sounding room I’ve ever had. Probably has to do with it being fully enclosed, perfectly symmetrical, and these two couches that are really too large for the space.

@Chops when you hear just how large a positive change that stack of GIK corner traps I recommended will make, particularly with your most recent speaker set-up, it will change your entire paradigm. It was a shocking lesson way back then, but I learned long ago that as an audio enthusiast the component that most affected ultimate sound quality was actually my listening room and it’s acoustics. Money properly invested there rewards far greater benefits than does incremental gear swaps.

This room with it’s combination of DIY broadband panels & diffusers along with ASC TubeTraps in the corners is by far my most sonically significant, most valued component.

8 Likes

I don’t doubt you one bit about any of that and I’m 100% sure the effects would be nothing more than excellent.

But the fact of the matter is, those tube traps are certainly out of my price range, plus I’d hate to see what they would look like in a couple of months once our six cats found them and thought they were scratching posts.

Unfortunately, anything I put in here, I have to keep price and the cats in mind of such purchases.

This is why I was originally looking at GIK with their wood-faced corner traps and panels.

Maybe you could make a couple of six foot tall round cat playhouses. It might just serve two purposes.

2 Likes

LOL. Yeah, but then they would be constantly changing the tuning jumping in and out of the little port holes.

1 Like

Has anyone had experience with these room treatments from stillpoints? Size wise they are small, but expensive.

https://www.stillpoints.us/index.php/product/aperture#!BLACK_WALNUT_STILLPOINTS_BRAND__1

Oh yeah. An then there’s that little issue.

1 Like

What’s the little issue?

Jumping cats on the sound stage. :smile:

4 Likes