System Photos!

I’d love to hear some JJ Cale on that system.

2 Likes

Looks really good, my friend. That is a system that would truly spark joy. And nothing makes me happier than your “oh well”. It’s meant to be enjoyed unapologetically. And you’re there.

My typewriter is stuck in the basement for now. But how I love to type on it!!

And your lighting is fantastic. I love it.

Mike in Dayton

2 Likes

“Modest”. That’s fantastic. Love your Sopras. They are works of art.

Mike in Dayton

2 Likes

Mike - compared to some of the other systems posted here, I certainly think so. But then again, with this hobby there is neither ceiling nor floor:-)

1 Like

Thank you Mike. Definitely doing my best to enjoy the music through the gear vs. trying to listen to the gear through the music. I do think I’m home.

I’m sorry if I seemed dismissive. That wasn’t my intent. I’m just saying it’s a beautiful setup. You should be proud. :wink:

No problem at all and I appreciate the candor. I definitely am enjoying it, maybe a little overwhelmed actually, since earlier this year I went directly to this setup from the PS Audio Sprout + Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 + Pro-ject Debut Carbon.

5 Likes

I know that feeling of rapid advance. I know it very, very well. Congratulations on the stereo to be blunt. It’s a wonderful life change.

Best,
Mike

Cymbop - I only recently discovered JJ Cale - Its a tragedy right? Anyhow, making up for it now. What a musician!

1 Like

Hay buddy, I’m just getting ready to switch back over to my prima luna preamp and 2 HP amps with my Focal Sopra 2s. So I know how great they sound together. You have a beautiful system! Enjoy.

1 Like

Thank you Bill. What did you try in between, and what compelled you to go back to the PL setup?

Hello Ksubrama. After 20+ years with an old system it became time to move into the 21st century. I wanted to try tubes and went with prima luna for my new preamp and 1 HP amp. I coupled it with a Focal 1028 Be and PS audio DMP and DAC to see what SACD was all about. And I was doomed. Added a second PL HP amp for mono blocks and heard an nice improvement.

Then I rolled some preamp tubes. Again I heard the difference. Its nice to play around with, but the stock tubes are just great.

I then added a VPI prime signature TT , Soundsmith cartridge, and got hooked on vinyl. My last addition was a pair of REL subwoofers. I would recommend consideration of subwoofers before you do anything else to your system (except room treatment) in order to bring out all that your system can do.

Then I moved earlier this year. My listening room is much larger so I added the Sopra 2s. That was great. But I wanted to hear the slam that a SS amp could provide. I was thinking about a PASS class A amp and research indicated that the BHK preamp were a good match. So I picked one up from a forum member who also offered to sell his 300s. It was a very good deal for me and they sound great.

So I now can and do switch between the BHK-300s and the PLs for fun. They are different and that can be important to a lot of folks, but its not to me. I like the flexibility. I am thinking of setting up a second space with the 1028s, PL and TT just for analog.

While your priorities may differ and change, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your setup. When you reach the point where you do not want to turn your system off, you have arrived!

8 Likes

Wow! that is an incredible (albeit expensive) journey. Thank you for sharing!

I feel you, I’ve just upgraded to a PrimaLuna Evo 100, modest but my word what a lovely sound! I adore tubes!

4 Likes

Yea man! Just been listening to the tubes for the last 5 hours and getting ready to crash. I may try some other tubes in the future but the EL 34s are just so sweet, I don’t really feel compelled to move on. Others like the KT 88s or 150s. Maybe one day…

3 Likes

There is good reason for the EL34’s popularity.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

This is great. Question, I have the 1028’s currently running them with a Hegel h360. I was considering going to a tube setup most likely PrimaLuna. What are the differences when you go from SS to tubes. Do you lose much of the force/impact that the SS gives.

First off Twolf, the Hegel 360 is an outstanding integrated that many folks consider an end game for speakers such as ours. At that level, it becomes a mater of personal taste given one’s musical preferences and room acoustics.

I find the 300s to be effortless in handling whatever I throw it. The high ends are a little more forward then the tubes with the P 20, but it handles dynamic transients with ease. I think system synergistics play a significant role. I actually find the PLs less technical and more enjoyable for vocals, acoustics and chamber music. The PLs have nothing to apologize about with rock, jazz or electronic.

If you could get one of their integrated to listen to at home. There are some great deals on used equipment that you could easily resell if it didn’t meet your tastes. But I would advise not selling the Hegel until you could do an inhouse audition.

For my tastes, I will never give up the PLs. Changing just two 12 AU 7s in the preamp changes the tone. Its like walking up or down the music hall isle. That is the major calling card for me. And if you’re ever in the mood for smooth, you can go triode with the push of a button.

One last thing, do you have subwoofers? I found that the addition of REL 3/SHOs to the 1028s was the most significant SQ improvement I made for my room, no mater the music genre.

But I would just love to try out the Hegel…

4 Likes

I would love to listen to the award winning H590 integrated.

1 Like

My system in Norway, love the M1200s and hopefully there will be a PS Power Plant in my system soon :smiley:

28 Likes