System Photos!

The key is window access, preferably with a view of a tree or shrub full of birds. Our cats enjoy a view from their perch of the service berry shrub chock full of cardinals.

1 Like

Holly bush right outside that window, and the back room has “french windows” looking out on the back garden and the bird feeders - they sit at it like a pair of bookends :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is that audiophile twine holding that power supply to that bar?

1 Like

CD, congrats on the new gear! Curious if you have any more to share about how the Diablo 333 continues to sound?

2 Likes

The Gryphon Diablo 333 and its source, a Grimm MU2, were added to my listening room at about the same time. I didn’t bother to test them separately because they are the last upgrades for me (I know that this was a sin; but research assured me of their sonic luxury). I now stream all my music, no CDs or vinyl. I will say that transparency is very noticeably the big improvement which provides me a mesmerizing experience. I did have the MU2 for several weeks before the 333 arrived and I was totally impressed by it. Then the 333 added a tremendous improvement. I would predict that anyone who gets a chance to audition either or both in their home will never let them go.
I still have to finish the organization details, routing cables, organizing bunnies to please Al, and so on.

12 Likes

we are on our way over for audition

2 Likes

Curious on the hookup. There are preamps in both units. How does that work?

3 Likes

Very old man oriented, I unplug the Vanta XLR connect in Input 1 and plug it into Input 2. First, I need to turn down the volume.
Then I will be using the MU2 preamp and must use the MU2’s volume control.

1 Like

Clarification, when using the 333’s Input 1, the MU2’s dac signal goes to the 333’s preamp which is my current path. I haven’t used the MU2 preamp via the 333, I will wait a few weeks before trying. I want to live with the current setup to acclimate with the Gryphon 333.

6 Likes

I’m jealous. I love my Diablo 300 I can only imagine the improvement with the 333! Enjoy I’m sure it’s glorious!

1 Like

Thank you, the Diablo 300 is a fantastic amplifier. It was my dream for a long time then I caught the upgrade disease and borrowed against my future. :sweat_smile: Based on my research the Diablo 300 is absolutely a wonderful amplifier.

4 Likes

The Pass Labs XP-22 preamp has landed and oh boy who would have thunk this 2 chassis version could make such a difference as compared to the most excellent XP-12. Honestly I’m flabbergasted!

If you want a very interesting acid test of sound quality listen to Tom Waits “Alice” especially the cut “Poor Edward”. Tom’s voice has this richness that I’ve not heard elsewhere.

22 Likes

Congratulations.

1 Like

Pass Labs is wonderful stuff! Have fun!

3 Likes

Well i’m done with the demo from this thread:

(Comparing streamers and DACs (eversolo vs Arce; yamaha SACD DAC vs Pontus II DAC))

Kept the Denafrips stuff together in the main system, and moved the Eversolo to my office/den. Main system gear’s in a closet, so I can now appreciate the screen.

Denafrips Arce streamer isn’t technically “roon ready” but it works as a roon bridge, and it supports HQPlayer NAA. Airplay, too. Not sure if the sound quality will change one bit when it’s roon ready, but roon sees it just fine as is. Goes AES/EBU into the Pontus DAC. I do have a decent i2S cable, so I can experiment with HQPlayer upsampling to DSD256, etc… Not sure I can tell any difference tho.

Yamaha CD-S2100 SACD player found locally for a bargain price, and my CDs (and my 20 or so SACDs) sound amazing. Balanced XLR into the Luxman.

Eversolo used to run USB into a Matrix X-SPDIF 2 (with Teddy Pardo LPS) then i2S into the Denafrips Pontus II DAC. But now I’m just using its own DAC and going balanced into the Schiit Freya+ Pre (and I picked up one of those $150 Fosi ZA3 amps).

Simplify.

:man_in_lotus_position:

12 Likes

Loved that Yam 2100! Used to own a CD-S1000 and regret having let it go.

1 Like

And I’m thinking the Eversolo sounds “nice”

2 Likes

That’s the stuff.

Without a bunch of hand-wringing and A-in’ and B-in’ all day, it works and sounds great.

2 Likes

I rearranged the components in my racks. The turntable was too high so I eliminated a shelf from the top of the rack on the left and moved the DAC to stack with the PST on the right. Now all the Esoterics are in one rack and PS Audios in the other. Looks and sounds much better.

25 Likes

Nice rack!

2 Likes