The Axpona 2024 Influence

As strong willed as we are at times we do give in to temptation. One of my primary goals for this particular Axpona was to leave with no more than what I arrived with.
A slight fail for me as I left with this, and have yet to give it a listen:

Hard to pass on McCoy Tyner.

4 Likes

Wait, what? You walked into the Marketplace with all those LP’s and that is all you got. I’m not sure if I’m impressed with your willpower or if I should be worried for your mental state.

Myself, I got a small stack of used CDs from Acoustics Sounds for $5 each. I think they are overflowing with used media and the LPs are what people want. I have significantly curtailed LP purchases since I rarely listen to LPs and don’t have the space for more.

3 Likes

Satchmo plays King Oliver–the 33

Coltrane My Favorite Things–45

WAM “Wally Tractor”–absurdly expensive cartridge protractor that will let me experiment with Lofgren, Baerwald, other curves.

2 Likes

Most likely the latter. BTW, I purchased nothing in the record fair. I discussed an performance opportunity with the pianist at the door of the Clarisys room and as a small gesture purchased the McCoy Tyner double LP from him. Turns out he has some minor ties to Polish musicians we have booked previously. The purchase was more about establishing community than buying a record, if that makes sense.

2 Likes

I should add the best thing I took from Axpona were memories.

3 Likes

Even though you say otherwise I’ll go with the first option given your kind gesture.

2 Likes

Used CDs! I missed those. :man_facepalming: What Did you get?

I got some UltraHD and XRCDs from Elusive Disc. I purposely packed light for the plane ride - 1 backpack for me and one for my wife. Vinyl wasn’t gonna fit in either of those!

1 Like

They had two large boxes, all genres mixed together. I got the following classical (by label):

Delos
“Intimate Encounters” - Quieter pieces from various composers

Suites from Richard Strauss - “Der Rosenkavalier”, “Die Frau Ohne Schatten”, and “Burleske”

“Janis Starker Celebration” - Live recording

Reference Recordings
Weber “Clarinet Quintet in B-flat” and Brahms “Clarinet Quintet in B-minor”

I also got Paul Simon “You’re the One” and Suzanne Vega “Days of the Open Hand”

2 Likes

I had considered the Technics ear buds on demo at Axpona, and Al suggested these at an Amazon bargain price. These are just better than they should be. Thanks Al! I think I am going to enjoy these just a wee bit more than the Technics, which I had planned on purchasing. Very natural sounding. My ears are smiling.

Anker Liberty Pro 3

2 Likes

I have both. The Technics are much more acurate phones than the Liberty Pro 3’s, and are at a much higher level in sound quality. I also have Devialet Gemini II’s and although sounds a little better than the Techinics, with even better separate of instruments and clarity, it’s a pain in the ass to get out of the charging box and don’t stay in the ears as well.

Kind of defeats the purpose.
Technics was demoing theirs with Elton John’s Maman Across the Water, not exactly high on my demonstration list. SO I went with what I heard, and these sut me to a T. Besides fuses and tuning rings need not apply. Did I mention they are wireless, so no Stealth opportunity as well.

1 Like

With the Technics, make sure you adjust the bass to bass+ on the app. and it will reward you with bass fullness and power so accurate, you’ll feel like you’re listening to full range system. The Devialet and the Liberty Pro does not require adjustments, as their bass is aready boosted in their default position.

1 Like

I have both and had technical problems with the Technics that were not resolved. I am not certain I am in agreement with you on the Technics sounding better.
The problems I had were the charging case that you store the Technics in would not hold a charge. I would reach for them and the phones would be dead as was the charging case. I would have to pay too much attention to them to keep them charged.
I don’t even want to talk about the Sonys. Bah. All in all I have at least ten pairs of in ear phones from six different manufacturers. To my ears the Anker Liberty 3 Pros are the thing to trust.

2 Likes

I’ll just say based on the adjustment needed the Axpona demo may have fallen short, and these are getting the job done nicely. They do seem to need some break in.

I’ve had the Technics for quite a while now and never had a charging problem. I use the wireless charger that I use with my Apple Earbuds. Like I said, the Technics does not sound right or balanced without adjusting the bass output, it will sound a bit lean otherwise. The Liberty Pro do sound goreous though, but with much less detail and resolution.

I have the AirPods Pro they get the job done. And the noise cancellation is fantastic.

1 Like

But they are not in the same league sound wise as the Technics or even the Liberty Pro in making music.

1 Like

I don’t use them for music. I use them for watching videos and talking to @aangen. If I find a portable setup that matches what I have at home I’d be happy but I can’t so I will listen to all my music in my mancave.

3 Likes

I use these earbuds mainly to watch YouTube music videos and music. It’s really fun to hear the fantastic separation in the instruments and the fullness of the bass and the realistic high frequency these airbuds can produce. It’s good for late night or away from home listening.

I walk a minimum of 10,000 steps each day. I always have my Ankers in. And when I drive any sort of distance. I think I listen to mine a minimum of two hours every day. They are essential to me and I can’t believe the sound considering I run them on some sort of advanced form of Bluetooth. We live in wonderful times headphone wise!

3 Likes