The DMP experience

Oh… your Esoteric runs on electricity ,I thought it run on chicken shit and noodles…

3 Likes

Yeah…I mentioned that somewhere else. It runs on free electricity from the sun. But only when the sun shines. 42 degreesC = 107.6 F here on Sunday. Plenty of sunshine available to crank up the volume. Fortunately the neighbors never complain about the sound.

3 Likes

Mr B could have saved a bundle buying this instead…

5 Likes

Oh yeah… you are correct in that. Slipped the old mind. And he has nothing to do with the DMP design. Oh well, I don’t need the art and one thing I know for certain, if it isn’t connected then there is 0% chance it can affect my precious SQ.

2 Likes

Which was unfortunate.

3 Likes

I guess I should consider myself lucky, having only lived with the DMP for 5 months, before things got squared away. I am however a little disappointed that the unit is already discontinued.

2 Likes

I’m not sure it would necessarily be discontinued had Oppo Digital not decided to halt operations. That’s a shame for several reasons. . . other manufacturers depended on their parts, and their components punched above their price point in pleasing ways. End of an era, and sign that streaming etc. seems the decided way of the future (and I’ll probably remain a luddite buried under my pile of discs).

4 Likes

Yes. My DMP just had its second birthday and it has been decommissioned. When the new disc carrier sails we will have to scuttle our DMP’s… :grinning:

It’s been out for a number of years but it never reached its potential. I think we tried to cram too much in one box. I love the unit and would never give mine up.

2 Likes

Does that mean no more firmware upgrades for the DMP?

Gary, don’t you think we’ve had enough…? I have experienced more code than Ted. Well, not so, but it feels like it.

I just think if there’s more SQ to squeeze out of the DMP, it would be a shame to leave it as it is, just because it’s been decommissioned. Of course PS Audio can’t continue upgrading the DMP firmware forever, but how about just a little bit longer, to help let us down easy?

You will have to ask. But if it is a dead product sale wise…!

With thousands of DMP’s sold and in use I would hope that firmware updates are still on the table. There are still some quirks to be addressed for sure… Letting paying customers hang is not an option.

1 Like

I hadn’t thought about the remaining quirks that some are still experiencing. I use my DMP in a very limited way, no cover art, and only spin CDs, and everything seems to be working fine. But if there are still some remaining glitches when using the players full capabilities, l would hope they would be addressed.

And if firmware updates are not planned, please share the source code so we can continue development ourselves.

2 Likes

While I play few CDs, maybe 1 or 2 per month, I keeping an eye out for a killer buy. I really like the aesthetics of the DMP and DAC stacked. Although the SQ is by far its biggest feature. Hopefully PSA will be able to service the Oppo and other DMP parts for another 10 years or so.
Chas

1 Like

Paul has said elsewhere that they will continue to work on the DMP until it delivers what was promised.

1 Like

Hi, Gary. My reply to your post was only me being a tad ironic, given all the steady releases of firmware and their burn-in … I do hope there is a continuation to the development of DMP firmware …

I, for one, would like to see some final updates to deal with the remaining glitches. My DMP continues to randomly decide to not play an inserted disc or to play without the progress bar advancing.