Trade in Program

Wow!

(see, here)

Yes, wow indeed! I saw the e-mail a short time ago and thought, there must be a catch. Sure enough, went to the website and there is a trade-in cap depending on the price of the item being purchased. Still very generous, thanks PS Audio! While it doesn’t specifically say, I assume it applies to full retail purchases. So no special sales or beta units.frown

I bought my BHK 250 under the program in August, and I think it’s great. I particularly like the fact that it helps someone who wants to move up from a mid-fi level to a really good PSA component. Say that you bought a $1000 amp a while back; if you sold it yourself you would get about half that, but with PSA’s program you get the full amount.

The trade-in cap amount is shown clearly when you start to fill out the trade-in screen. But a little more transparency would be good when publicizing the program, as in the email that just went out. It sounds like you will get the full trade-in value regardless, which indeed is too good to be true.

Yes, this is just another superb pro-customer service from PS Audio. I posted about it on FB, and shared the email with several friends. circle-of-hearts-smiley-emoticon_gif

pmotz said Yes, wow indeed! I saw the e-mail a short time ago and thought, there must be a catch. Sure enough, went to the website and there is a trade-in cap depending on the price of the item being purchased. Still very generous, thanks PS Audio! While it doesn't specifically say, I assume it applies to full retail purchases. So no special sales or beta units.
Nope. We'll be applying this same generous trade up deal for beta testers too! Stay tuned to see what kind of sweet deal we have cooked up for DMP beta testers that qualify.

Start salivating now.

I just ran to the kitchen to get a drool towel! :slight_smile: My hope is that PerfectWave power cords could be applied to trade in, I have a surplus. . . :wink:

I’ve been very very happy with my PWT, but if PSAudio is giving a nice credit for it I might start leaning towards the DMP. Dammit Paul you’re doing it to me again! kiss

Paul McGowan said
pmotz said Yes, wow indeed! I saw the e-mail a short time ago and thought, there must be a catch. Sure enough, went to the website and there is a trade-in cap depending on the price of the item being purchased. Still very generous, thanks PS Audio! While it doesn't specifically say, I assume it applies to full retail purchases. So no special sales or beta units.

Nope. We’ll be applying this same generous trade up deal for beta testers too! Stay tuned to see what kind of sweet deal we have cooked up for DMP beta testers that qualify.

Start salivating now.

Just to be clear then, the new trade in program means that PSA will be valuing trade-ins of the PWT at 3,999? Is that correct?

That’s probably true, but there’s also probably a cap on trade-in value. (?)

If I recall correctly, power products (power plants, upc 200s, etc…) were included in prior trade in programs. I don’t see

any mention them being accepted with this current program. Are they specifically excluded this time around or are they

included?

JM said
Paul McGowan said

Nope. We’ll be applying this same generous trade up deal for beta testers too! Stay tuned to see what kind of sweet deal we have cooked up for DMP beta testers that qualify.

Start salivating now.

Just to be clear then, the new trade in program means that PSA will be valuing trade-ins of the PWT at 3,999? Is that correct?

There’s a cap of $2,000 we’re mostly likely going to implement. It’s not a perfect scheme, but it’s the best we’ve come up with.

So, instead of haggling over what something used is worth, my son Scott came up with what I believe is a rather brilliant solution. Give back the original retail of a piece of gear - up to a certain amount, as a trade. So, for example, if you paid $799 for something and now wish to trade it in on a more expensive piece of gear, we will buy that back from you at full retail if it falls within the cap. We even allow you to add multiple items, all at full retail until you reach the cap.

The down side to this program, and no program is perfect, is if the item you’re trading has a higher retail value than the cap. And we’ve seen this before. Like the PWT. So in that case, the decision is more complicated, yet not too bad. What we hope is that you’ll look on the used market for what they’re selling. If it’s about the same or less, then the trade’s an excellent way to go. If they’re selling for more, than that makes the decision easy.

We take your gear and route it through a local fellow who sells it for us on eBay. We NEVER get full retail, but that’s ok. Hence the cap. It’s just another way we can work with our customers to try and make upgrading equipment fun and easy.

earplugs said If I recall correctly, power products (power plants, upc 200s, etc...) were included in prior trade in programs. I don't see

any mention them being accepted with this current program. Are they specifically excluded this time around or are they

included?

Yes, we accept any piece of legitimate audio gear and power conditioners certainly qualify.

Both fair and generous!

[many nested quotes deleted]

Thanks, Paul. After your explanation, I better understand the variables involved. I think it would have been helpful to clarify that in the email that was sent out to subscribers, since a cap is not mentioned in it.

Not sure the trade in program is such a good deal nor a good business decision for PS Audio. Because of the cap, people who bought other brands get essentially the same credit as those who are upgrading within the PS Audio line. For example, I just paid several thousand to upgrade from the perfect wave DAC to the Directstream. Now they tell me I need to pay over 600 more to upgrade my bridge 1 to bridge 2. (really??, can’t you just throw that in for the $4000+ upgrade??). No consideration is given for the fact that I also own a PS Audio power supply and PWT. Seems like more credit should be given to loyal customers.

I wish it were simple like that, and sometimes it is. You can trade your old Bridge in and get credit towards a new Bridge, and if you want to purchase an upgrade kit to go from a PWD to DirectStream, we have a program to help you do that as well - a program that allows you to trade in some other equipment towards the purchase price.

Is the program perfect? No. But, consider how progress it is, relative to any other manufacturer. How many manufacturers do you know that have a trade in program at all? I am unfamiliar with any other manufacturer that does this, though I suspect others may follow in our footsteps.

rmueller1, PS Audio isn’t perfect, but I (and I’m sure others here) think they are closer to it than many other audio manufacturers. They have always been very customer focused and have policies that other manufacturers wouldn’t even consider. The trade-in program is a perfect example of this. Their beta programs are a good example too. I know from personal experience that Paul and company have bent over backwards to help me out and they have done it for others. I’m amazed at how much Paul personally does for this forum, I get tired just reading all his posts!

Hey, I never said anything about perfection…just better and better would be rewarding loyal customers more and charging less for the bridge II upgrade (IMHO).

The program is very generous. The alternative is to pay retail for new replacement equipment and hope you can sell your old bits.

I am always grateful when a company provides me with an upgrade path which costs me less than buying the product outright. If the offer is better than what I can get on the used market (which is often very little) I am pleased.

I also recognize the manufacturer is losing money - dollar for dollar - when it offer more for my old equipment, software, etc. than I can sell it for.

Can you identify a more generous program offered by anyone?

I can only think of software manufactures who often provide a nice upgrade path. Often the deal is better if you are coming from a competing product. That is, they do not reward loyalty as much as welcome new users to the fold as they switch from competing products.

I’m happy it works for you.