Was Upcoming DS release - Now Windom has been released

These catch-all threads always become a mess. Initially people discuss problems with loading the software and impressions - both highly relevant to new firmware. The discussion branches from there.

I doubt anyone has the time and interest to go through 1,100 posts and separate them out into three, four, or more relevant threads.

2 Likes

Back on the Windom/FW upgrade topic - and forgive me if this is old hat:

Just noticed that on my Mac, a MSDOS FAT SD card has no “sub-drive” icon, as with any other drive/formatting…note the OWC drive depicted vs. the SD card in the image below.

That is, it just shows a generic HD icon named, “Apple SD Card Reader Media”, no matter what card you put in the laptop (and though it sees it as a “…USB Internal Physical Disk”, that is not exactly true, IMO)…whereas with FAT32 formatting, it would show a sub-drive image of a card Icon with the name given it.

So is the incompatibility I was experiencing that FAT32 is writing this “added level” to the Root level of the card vs. MSDOS FAT, and that’s why my DSD now allows writes?

Are other DSD Senior (apologies, L) owners able to format SD cards in FAT32 and sucessfully update?

Signed - Curious. Thanks.

There must be so many variables in a given sound system, room acoustics, and personal tastes. Toss in variances in the “loads” of Windom for yet more variety. In that light, its understandable that conclusions about Windom may vary, because in sum, we are not comparing apples to apples.

1 Like

Yes, and you can add to your ‘variables list’ the fact that the brain plays so much into the perception of sound, just as the brain plays into the perception of vision - remember the blue/black dress versus white/gold dress thing?

Really interesting you should mention that, because as a photo/video person who does a lot of color correction, it was immediately obvious to me that one or the other (or both) photos were not properly white balanced.

There’s an audio metaphor here somewhere… ; )

1 Like

Absolute phase comes to mind

Ok Ted, with this update I gave up and sold my Ayon Stealth! Beaten to death!

1 Like

I think its important that when writing “Junior” or “Senior” that we are careful to use a capital “J” or capital “S”. I suggest we form an exploratory committee to draw up a comprehensive framework establishing definitive guidance on precisely how we ought to discuss these topics.

1 Like

It depends… a french car with a soul should have a name…a japanese car can have numbers :wink:

In reality it’s often the opposite. The french car with the biggest soul was named DS. Most Japanese ars have names.

Agreed.

I also want the font and font size set out and exhaustively enforced.

1 Like

And if we’re referring to the Junior as “JR”, then we must also write “SR”. Period.

Ron - Who shot JR? I forgot to set my VCR. Not even sure we had VCRs then.

1 Like

What I understand is the question if I consider the firmware updates to be the problem or the setups. :wink:

I consider the setups to be the problem. Less costly setups can sound quite unproblematic or they can be a pain, but due to their inferior quality they are usually less sensible to non optimal parts of it. Sophisticated setups usually react more sensible to non optimal parts of it or influences affecting it. Most setups are non optimal in several parts. It’s great luck or knowledge to get to an optimal result within a very revealing setup.

Imagine you could melt the molecular structure of all conductors in a setup to a rather continuous material nearly free of corn boundaries. It’s not available commercially, but believe me, this together with other measures removes most sound problems people fight with all of their high end life and of which they thought they have to compensate them with whatever itself error affected cabling, accessories or whatever.

Imagine you have a car with flat tires and attach a better motor with a higher torque to it. In this case the better motor would have disadvantages instead of the advantages expected in an optimal working car. Using less tight suspension, which would usually mean an inferior road holding when driving fast, is suddenly an improvement with the flat tires.

Our setups are to a different grade flawed and many flaws were not even identified with their correct problem source it seems.

When pure technical improvements like those firmware updates lead to inferior performance compared to their technically inferior predecessors, the problem must be somewhere else imo.

2 Likes

Seems like high praise to me…!

Cheers.

Can I be on the committee established to determine how the exploratory committee will be formed and what its scope and purpose will be?

Yours in minutiae,

3 Likes

Yes! We can discuss how past life experience effects Windom impressions and whether or not DS purchases ought to be restricted by age, shouldn’t the Senior have extra big buttons, large menu fonts, and be hearing aid compatible :thinking:?

Post repopulated with letters (please ignore).

Sir! Sir! Are you supposed to be in here? Are you lost?

Nope - wrong thread…:crazy_face:

I’m using DSD. The one that needs no modifier! LOL. I got it in 2014.