What Classical are you spinning?

OK, I’ll rise to the bait :slight_smile: Eventual commentary in the usual Spinning thread, my natural home.

Edit: Sorry, couldn’t find the album on Qobuz.

3 Likes

I am enjoying this new recording of Winterreise, thanks to a Roon recommendation.

3 Likes

Wonderful! Best played loud and listened from a connected room.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s what I need now, I’ll let you know in 3hr 44min.

Could be the most lively of the Goldberg variations recomposed :wink:

They are certainly lively. They were also composed quicker than a Trump Tweetstorm!

As far as Goldbergs are concerned, Pavel Kolesnikov is performing a live broadcast on Tuesday.
https://wigmore-hall.org.uk/whats-on/pavel-kolesnikov-202102161930

He studied these for a dance show with Anna Teresa de Keersmaeker, we had tickets for London (cancelled) and could not get to see the show in Antwerp, which was Plan B. He did get to do about 20 performances. He wanted to play them in the Fidelio Orchestra Cafe, but Hyperion would not allow him to do so.

Goldbergs are everywhere these days. LL did two at once.

1 Like

I got as far as K119, which sounded rather clunky, so I switched to Pogorelich’s wonderfully sprightly version from 1992. It displays his unique genius.

Anyway, given Scarlatti’s fondness for Spanish guitar, I’m given this is a stream, by a master of the Spanish guitar.
81jjIlXNnbL.SS500

1 Like

I also have one of the Sonatas by Yepes, will check tomorrow.

Otherwise on piano I just have a few Horowitz recordings of them and one of Kiplis on Chesky. Will compare a bit later, but the open, vibrant sound is important for this music, I wouldn’t want it sound too calm or muddy.

Probably my first Scarlatti disc was the Horowitz CBS recording from 1987.

Another disc I shall listen to later is this one:
71qtqyXeSZL.SS500

1 Like

Moving on to some remarkably pleasant plucking, one of the old boy’s best tunes:
N60429

1 Like

2 Likes

One of Karajan’s & Janowitz’s greatest recordings.

2 Likes

I picked up this lovely solo violin SACD during a recent sale on Linn releases from Presto Music.

1 Like

Another marvelous disc from the Linn sale. This one’s a standard CD and has wonderfully clear, detailed and dynamic sound, and a truly vibrant and impassioned performance.

2 Likes

Have folks heard this? Igor Levit’s 2020 recording. I suspect that we will discover quite a few remarkable recordings during the COVID time. Anyone have other recommendations?

1 Like

Igor Levit played the Brahms at a live streamed recital in October, which I listened to. I did not get a ticket as I am not a great fan of going to listen to music at lunchtime. Maybe when I’m older. He played part of the Bach/Busoni at a recital about 3 years ago.

Kolesnikov’s Goldbergs were the exceptional recording for me released last year. They were recorded at the end of 2019 and released in October. He did a live stream performance a couple of weeks ago.

Nicola Benedetti did a nice little video in first lockdown here. Alina Ibragimova told us at a performance in July that she’s spent the first months of lockdown playing Paganini 10 hours a day, so I assume a recording will follow shortly.

2 Likes

Another from the recent Linn sale. It’s a fine performance, done live, but it requires some goosing of the volume control. The orchestral textures seem spot on, though it lacks a bit in the lower registers. Tympani and basses sound like photographs of tympani and basses, at least to my ear.

Liked this so much I ordered the CD from Chandos. Recorded in a converted barn in Suffolk last summer. The pair has also performed the other Schubert cycles in Wigmore Hall. (Note to @stevensegal.)
On my UK-centric small system (NAIM/REL/ProAc) it sounds great.

3 Likes