Your Next Upgrade? (Part 1)

I am lucky that I know no audiophiles within a five hundred miles radius, and I resisted joining any audiophile clubs nearby. I saved a lot of money from upgrades for sure.

Unfortunately, I joined this forum that blew the can wide open.

12 Likes

The Omega xc is on my wish list to power my Everest…:partying_face:

2 Likes

I just returned his Omega after having it power my P20 for a couple hours.
In my system, I still prefer my Audience Front Row. Very different sound. I found the Omega to sound a bit stiffer. He took my FR to try but our systems are very different. I’ll let you know what he thinks.

2 Likes

Stiffer? In what way…

The room continues to progress. Not quite done yet, but here’s a glimpse of the new rack. Sorry it’s not an Artesenia, Al, but it’s the best bang for my buck i could get.

8 Likes

I am envious!

1 Like

It’s all hard for me to put to words but I’ll try:
Stiffer as in bass is a solid, defined thunk rather than “hearing” a mental image of flesh on the string and vibration of the string.
Stiffer as in less timbrel detail.
That said, I could be happy with either.

2 Likes

Hmmm, that is deep. I think I know what you mean assuming I know what you think is what I think. But is it what you heard was what I think I will hear of what you heard?

2 Likes

… ask @aangen. He’ll know what you heard, what you think you heard, and of course what he wanted you to hear. :cyclone:

2 Likes

Not with his new invention I hope.

2 Likes

I had a thought last night. We all arrive at our system configuration by different means. But we all have the exact same goal: the best possible sound. My thought was what if there was a sound that obviously was the best possible. What if you reached it and I did as well but we both had completely different gear? And yet when we listen we hear exactly the same sound. Easily recognizable as the one true sound.

Later, I decided the one song we would use as a test for it. Beck’s Heart Is A Drum…

7 Likes

Never heard of it

Listening to it now via Roon/Tidal (MQA track)…apropos of nothing.

It’s nice.

2 Likes

It is possible to achieve Al’s dream. To do so I am reluctantly offering to switch mine with his system. Because of the complexity of different rooms and setups, it may take up to a year for me to tune his system to sound like mine.

I am willing to listen to whatever music Al selected during this time.

4 Likes

I finally pulled the trigger on going from Kimber 12vs to Kimber 12tc!

4 Likes

Nice choice! Excellent sounding recording!

The one true sound tour a fascinating idea . We all have the same goal. It would be interesting how much each system diverged or was similar. Given that we often settle on the same fuse or cable or absorber locations. It could be the ultimate experience. My guess we would all either like the same system or be shamed equally by each other’s.
The net result would be no clear winner. Or maybe we would achieve sameness at the end?

1 Like

I am in the process of replacing the diaphragms in my 1" dome super tweeters in my Celestion Dittion 66 Studio Monitors. When I have finished these, I have 2" dome midrange drivers to replace. It is not a task for the faint of heart so I am doing everything one at a time. I bought replacement aftermarket 1" super tweeters to keep the tunes going while I do the upgrades.

I bought the Matrix last week and ordered an adjustable 5vdc linear, regulated DC power supply at 1/4 the price of some of the LPS I’ve seen posted. I have a Hewlett Packard 8591E desktop spectrum analyzer which I am interested in using to report the specs on my LPSU. I can bock any DC voltage into the SA so I will be looking at any type of transients being picked up that are well withing the audible range above -115db.

The LPSU is sold as a 5vdc but is adjustable with a precision pot on the back. It has a large torroid transformer inside. I am hoping it will let me tweak the voltage to 6 or 7 vdc.

6 Likes

If anyone wants a Mano, there’s one listed today. It’s not mine, nor do I have anything to do with the seller.

1 Like

It’s going back. Anemic is the best word I can think of to describe it. The search goes on.

2 Likes

By the way, hooking the MacBook up to the NAS was a bust. After a week and a half it is still reading files. One directory that has 5TB of DSD was actually ignored. Too many DSD files for Audirvana. It can’t cope. Bah!

In other news, I hooked the Pink Faun up to the Ethos via a USB cable and Roon said the Ethos could only handle up to DSD128. I wrote to Pink Faun and he says it’s the DACs problem. That was the wrong answer for me if I am to consider a Pink Faun Ultra. It would have the same limitation and that is the Red Flag of Red Flags. I am not getting a different DAC.
Am I?
(Ideon?)

4 Likes