Airlens v2.7.0 and CDM 4.3.95 - Now Live!

@daveboyd, the mconnect approach is pretty easy peasy, by the way.

Just make sure you download the free application; “mconnectControl”, specifically.

I believe the current version of the mconnectControl app is 2.4.81.0.*

Good luck.

2 Likes

Thanks for trying the OTA.

BTW, does Roon need a restart to recognize versions? I’m not a Roon user but I seem to recall from some thread that a restart may be needed. Perhaps other Roon users could chime in?

I normally do a Roon restart anyway (not the server)
Whether it’s actually necessary to display the correct version I don’t know, but worth a try…

Hi Dave,

There are two sets of firmware for the Airlens.
You have updated the AirLens firmware to 2.7.0.
Your Streamer (aka “Core” or “CDM”) firmware is not up to date. What PSAudio call Streamer firmware is the firmware for the ConverseDigital board inside the Airlens.

The procedure to update the Streamer firmware is documented in the manual.
In short: DIP 7 OFF, Press WPS for 15 seconds. Update will occur. DIP 7 ON. Reboot.

As others have mentioned, it is also possible to update the Streamer firmware using ConverseDigital software called MConnect.
This is not documented in the manual, nor do PSAudio recommend you do Streamer updates this way.

Folks: I have done both firmware updates, including going back to 2.6.2 followed by 2.7.0 installs. I re-start my Roon software which then provides me with the versions found on the AirLens.

I have not tried the mConnect update yet…will get to it today.

The AirLens firmware to 2.7.0 worked well as it solved my constant blinking orange LED when trying to to ANY upgrade.

I will try mConnect first then go to rollback to 2.6.2 then both 2.7.0 firmware updates.

Fingers (and toes) crossed.

p.s. what am I missing out on by not having the streamer firmware updated? Any sound improvements in the 4.3.95 firmware upgrade?

Thanks for all your suggestions, Dave

Folks: did the mConnect and got the upgrade on both streamer and RAAT!..interesting though, mConnect could not complete a re-boot. Did a manual one and all good.

This has been a tough go…like picking fly s**t out of pepper with boxing gloves on…as my grandfather used to say.

Thanks a bunch to all, Dave.

4 Likes

Glad you made it! (And thanks for showing me where to find the firmware version numbers in roon.)

And 2.7.0 seems to have solved the “blinking orange light” problem for me too.

1 Like

You can also get the firmware version within Zone settings.

This was my experience also a few months ago when I did the last firmware update via mConnect (I have not yet done the 2.7.0). I thought that something had gone wrong with the update, but power cycling with the switch on the back got everything working.

1 Like

Same here both times I used mConnect for updates. Seems to be the norm.

1 Like

This was my experience, too. I also manually rebooted the airlens

2 Likes

Yup! I ran into the same thing testing one of our units. Manually rebooting after the Mconnect update was totally fine.

2 Likes

I used mcontrol, mconnect didn’t work (before I read not to), then the thumb drive…did a reboot after and all is well - just checked numbers on Roon…just took a few minutes…unit sounds and works great, though not sure I notice any differences…

mconnectControl works for updating the Converse Digital software, which is the brains of the AL “Ethernet Bridge” hardware sourced from Converse Digital.

My understanding is you cannot update the PS Audio proprietary operating software for the AL via mconnectControl.

FYI.

yes, I did the mcontrol v4.3.95 before the thumb drive was released…then did the thumb drive, was not wanting to do dip switches

1 Like

To @jll37 point: I was wondering if there were any streamer quality improvements with this new firmware or whether it was strictly device and control changes.

I know it eliminated the blinking orange LED problem that a few of us were having BUT wondering about streamer improvements.

Dave

no none has yet reported sonic improvement

1 Like

The update on the airlens was for bug fixes and connection issues. No sonic changes:

1 Like

mine is working great, but then it always did…thanks !!!

1 Like

Mine’s fine too. I printed out the OTA update instructions, but since there apparently are no sonic changes with the new code, I’m standing pat.

If it ain’t broke…

1 Like